It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2001, 12:35 PM   #1

swimmer HB User
Question cider vinegar / yeast infections?

I have a question -- maybe someone can help?
It seems like every time I want to take apple cider vinegar and start using it on a daily basis, I get a yeast infection. The Balch book says to avoid vinegar when dealing with Candidiasis -- but I've heard of douching with apple cider vinegar to treat this. Could drinking the vinegar be triggering my problem? I use about 2 tsp. per 8 oz of water before meals 2-3 times a day. I'd like to continue to take it, but maybe I should stop because of the infection?
Thanks in advance for your experience and thoughts.

Old 07-02-2001, 10:57 PM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
hi swimmer, i know when fighting candidiasis that avoiding pickled and/or fermented foods is necessary, so yes, vinegar could be contributing to the flares. i'm not sure about the douche, though, as i can't recall whether an alkyline or acid environment is most hostile to yeast. Vinegar would create an acid environment, baking soda an alkyline.

hope this helps,

------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-10-2001, 05:50 AM   #3

B. McRae HB User
Swimmer -- Sorry you're having yeast problems. We have a long line of yeast problems in this family! I, like Copper, have heard that the vinegar makes it worse, but have not experienced that myself -- or maybe did not make a correct connection. Maybe it's because you aren't using honey with it. (See later in this letter.)

It sounds like this is occuring frequently... let's go somewhere besides blaming the vinegar (tho you don't want to eliminate that clue). Try, how much refined sugar do you ingest -- how much yeast bread - beer -- antibiotics - (i.e., things w/ yeast in them, or things that promote yeast) I am a "health nut" investigative reporter who has studied nutrition and the dietary and pharmeceutical causes of many maladies for 28 years. I've learned to (and you're on the right track) play detective, and snoop until my body agrees and says "That's it!"

It will help if you keep a journal. (That's how I beat approaching blindness and degenerative arthritis AND candida.) By the way, a nutrition M.D. in Fredricksburg, Texas recommends 1 teaspoon Cream of Tarter (from health food store) mixed into a glass of water, morning and nite for 2 weeks, to "get" the candida." (That beats EXPENSIVE Nystatin, and 6 weeks to quell!) Of course, if we continue to feed the yeast, it will keep coming back.

Yeast is so easy to feed! I like fresh goat milk, (I have goats) but borrowed some from a friend to make my great goat's milk ice cream (avoiding the chemicals and harmones in commercial stuff)and came up with horrific yeast infection. Reviewing all I had ingested -- finally called him -- yep! He routinely gives his nannies antibiotic when they kid. I was suffering from candida through the antibiotic in the goat milk!

You may want to consider the antibiotics ranchers routinely give their beef.

I'm learning to eat mostly foods that God made, and man hasn't adulterated! I've discovered that "Organic" is less expensive when you absolutely stay well (which I have for some 10 years, now.)

You mentioned "apple cider vinegar," but didn't say anything about "with honey," which the Vermont Folk Remedy book recommends. I've discovered that raw honey, straight from the hive is less apt to contribute to problems than the commercial brands off the grocery shelf, which seem to be 'extended' with refined sugars.

One warning to atheletes. A high school chum of mine was a handsome hunk, went on to become a dentist, kept in shape by golfing, running, etc. Very consciencous about his health, he hung out at health food stores AND listened to the latest from "conventional medicine." SO, he avoided salt, and virtually all fats for example. On his routine run before work one morning, he fell, unconscious into his mother's house which was on his route. He was rushed to the hospital and diagnosed with "salt deprivation." He lived out his days in a semi-vegetative state, with brain damage from shortage of salt. His reaction resembled a stroke.

Keep swimming (another of my early youth loves) I'm rootin' for ya'!

I wish you well!

b

Old 07-10-2001, 01:00 PM   #4

swimmer HB User
Thank you both for your kind replys. I truly appreciate your helpfulness. I try to avoid a lot of refined sugar. We are vegetarians and don't drink fresh milk. (Yogurt, organic when possible). Unfortunately we live 60 miles from the closest co-op. I've taken care of the infection with garlic (works great for me . .) but I'm hestant to go back on the vinegar. Guess instead of going "whole hog" I'll ease into it and just have it in the morning with honey. Thanks again for all your thoughts. (Boy, it's good to know that the body needs some salt! poor man! My children have little desire that creeps up for licking straight salt . . . I guess I won't freak out too much!)

Old 07-25-2001, 05:41 PM   #5

susangale HB User
try acidolphilus (which I probably misspelled). It is the active ingredient in yogurt. Would this be considered an advertisement? I am not sure.

Closed Thread