It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2002, 08:36 AM   #1

Mamaholly HB User
Question Help boost my child's immune system?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone had some advice to help boost the immune system of my two year old son. He has frequent colds and ear infections.

We have been lucky enough to learn that he has very early warning signs: Poor, whiney, indecisive behaviors days in advance of the first symptoms. That's great because we can catch it early....

But what should I catch it with when I know something is coming and how should I help his immune system with nutrition and vitamin/herbs on an ongoing basis.

Also: Our drugstore carries a gummy echinacea and vitamin C chews. Are those worth the trip or worthless?

Old 04-14-2002, 10:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Wink

hi its normal for kids to catch colds etcwhen there mixing with other kids it gives there body a chance to make antibodies to fight infections off. my daughter whose now 6 never had nothing till she started school, she got everything going, shes ok now does nt catch everything going http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/bang.gif dont worry its all part of growingup

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2002, 11:10 AM   #3

Mamaholly HB User
Dear Niecsey,

Thanks for your response.
Perhaps I haven't described the issue enough. My son came to us through foster care and had serious chronic sinus and otitus media (ear infections). He had tubes and several doctors considered surgery to remove severely enlarged adenoids and tonsils due to the infections and to also bore out the four impacted sinuses. He has a narrow airway, so those factors compounded led to serious issues.

These illnesses were left largely untreated as his extreme behaviors when ill caused many foster families to have him removed from their homes within weeks and sometimes days of placement.

This is why I have such concern about his colds. They almost always turn into a multiple week affair with ear infections. I want to avoid this in the future and avoid another round of tubes.

As maintenence, I keep him off of dairy as a general rule as it seems to induce constipation, irritability and infections. (Does not show on the allergy skin test, which is highly unreliable at this age.) I also try to make sure he has a good number of fruits and vegetables and avoid processed food and sugar.

With all due respect to your reply, you stated that your child didn't get ill until school. My son is two and not in a daycare setting so he is not as exposed as many children are.

So, I apologize if my original post is misleading, but would appreciate it if anyone had some suggestions.

Thanks,
Mamaholly

Old 04-14-2002, 12:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

niecsey HB Userniecsey HB User
Wink

hi, thanx for your reply, well done you with your little boy sory i had no GOOD advice i do hope you find wot ur looking for take care x

Old 04-14-2002, 01:14 PM   #5
Inactive

Nicksmom HB User
my son has autism, adhd, and mercury in his body from vaccines. Because of this his immune system is shot. I started giving him zinc, grapeseed extract, vit. C, b-vit., rishi mushrooms, and essensial fatty acids about 5 months ago. He was the only one in his class not to get sick this year. His overall health is much better. In addition to that, you could look into N.A.E.T.

Old 04-14-2002, 02:19 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
If you do decide to give your child ANY supplements, pls be very careful with the dosage, combination of products and duration of treatment.

Many of the immune-boosting supplements have two different dosing levels - preventative [prophylactic] and therapeutic. If using any herbal remedies or supplements you will also need to check whether or not he's allergic to them. For example, echinecea belongs to the ragweed family. If he's allergic to ragweed, giving him echinecea might bring on the symptoms that trigger his secondary [opportunistic] infections.

Vitamin and mineral supplementation also has some risks. Most vitamins and minerals work in specific combinations. Too much of one can result not only in a potential overdose situation but even a leaching effect of the other vitamin/mineral.

Suggest you read up on these and consult with your doctor. Here are a few links:

Alternative medicine - includes supplements:
[url="http://nccam.nih.gov/databases.html"]http://nccam.nih.gov/databases.html[/url]

Pediatric medical site:
[url="http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/topics/lungs08.htm"]http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/topics/lungs08.htm[/url]

One tried-and-[clinically]proven immune booster is home-made chicken soup. Other foods to try include vividly colored produce esp. berries, [unsweetened] concord grape juice, mangoes, citrus fruits, etc. Children also need adequate protein and good quality fats for a healthy immune system.

Old 04-21-2002, 08:27 PM   #7

pinecone HB User
Go to Google and do research of Grape SEED.
It his mother smoked that set him up for ear poblems.

Elimate mucus forming foods.

Milk is for calfs who grow off fast not for human babies who grow slow. Milk is a mucus forming substance.

Post back your results!!

Old 04-25-2002, 07:11 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Before looking at herbs and other health supplements, check out the value in natural non-processed foods. Part of natural healing and enhancement of the immune system can come from the way that we eat.

A number of herbs like garlic (in moderation) are good too, but you might try the healthy diet first. The trick is to find things that taste good but are good for you too.

This is one example. Instead of ice cream, you can take about a cup of milk or so, 3 ripe bananas, 5 strawberries, some ice, and mix them up in a blender. It tastes so good, that you won't even know that it's good for you (unless there are milk allergies etc.). There's lots of examples. You just have to spend the time reviewing them. I hope that helps.

Old 04-25-2002, 07:23 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

I read further down and see that there may be some problems with milk. So just scratch that one off. I don't drink a lot of milk myself, just a little in cereal or with some mixtures as previously described. It's good that you are following a healthy diet.

I always mention garlic as a herb, because I've found that it does wonderful things. It can help get rid of a cold. I know that from personal experience, plus you can read a lot about it.

To neutralize the odor of garlic, I've found that fruit, particularly dried apricots seems to help - once after eating, and once about 12 hours later or so. Check the internet about garlic. Be careful that you take this in moderation - only about one or two cloves a day is all that I've ever needed. The garlic must be fresh and uncooked to be used for medicinal purposes. I chop it up fine and mix it with other food.

Old 05-03-2002, 07:27 AM   #10

creekwalker HB User
I started my son on garlic and vitamin C when he was in 1st grade. Also, calcium, magnesium and B-complex. My son is 16 now and I can't remember the last cold he had, it's been so long ago. A 2 year old would be a little more of a problem though due to not being able to take pills. Anyway you can get these things down them would do wonders though. Also, I have started growing and using my own echinacea, and I can't stress enough how much it has helped me. It is very safe for children too. I don't use the store bought ones because I doubt that very little of what you buy is the actual herb, but since I grow my own, I am 100% sure. I haven't been sick myself for quite some time also.

Old 05-23-2002, 09:47 PM   #11

Seabead HB User
Hi Mamaholly,I can relate to having to deal with frequent ear and health problems as my daughter went through similar conditions, though not so severe, when younger. Sure makes you feel helpless.
You got some great suggestion and I have one more.
A Coloidal Silver Solution handled my daughter's last ear infection in 1 1/2 days. No antibiotics required.
Just make sure you find one that is tested and safe for a child so young. Big difference between 2 and 9 years old! Good luck.

------------------
Seabead
Because it is better to prevent disease than treat it.

Old 06-03-2002, 02:48 PM   #12

mkbj HB User
I can understand exactly what you are going through...my son is 22 months old, and has had frequent ear infections since 4 weeks old...He has never been in daycare..I stay at home...If he doesn't have an ear infection, he usually has a cold, croup, or something else...He has been diagnosed with ashthma caused by environmental allergies...(We had skin testing done..)He has been on so many medicines, and I'm tired of it..I've been looking for alternatives, and this is what I've been told recently to put him on...Cod liver oil, flax seed oil,a good multi-vitamin, vit.C with bioflavanoids,Vitamin B6 * B Complex,and Vitamin E. I haven't decided what to do yet, because I don't know much about all of these things, but I'm seriously considering at least the cod liver & flax seed for immune builders...
Brandi

Old 06-15-2002, 07:56 PM   #13
Inactive

mlgable HB User
Provex Plus is a wonderful product that can help a childs immune system tremendously. So can VitaBears. Do a search and see what you find.

Closed Thread