It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2002, 05:10 AM   #1

SueA HB User
Post Calcium and sleep

I was told by a pharmicist to give my son some calcium supplement at night to help him sleep. (Sleeping all night is a big problem for him... he doesn't do it, 3.30am is his wake up time at the moment). She said something like "the calcium channels are more open then". Can anyone tell me what she was talking about? Sue

Old 07-23-2002, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Calcium is a good sleep aid, my mom uses it all the time, but you must have some Magnesium citrate to make it absorb correctly. Check out a good article about these two items.

Go to the thyroid dyfunction board.
Then,look for the post called'Information Archive'
Go to page #2 and scroll down till you get to the article on Magnesium.

Hope you little one is sleeping better soon.

I read your story about him, and hope he continues to do better. Good thing he's got a smart mom, who will check things out for his nutrition. I know it's hard to watch our little ones go though health problems.

Diana

[This message has been edited by drs (edited 07-23-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2002, 05:24 AM   #3

SueA HB User
I gave my 8 year old some magnesium sulphate and calcium after his dinner and he actually slept until 7am. He has never done that before. His younger brother will usually wake him at odd hours so he was quite sleep deprived. The younger one also responded to the tablets, but not as well as I had hoped. I haven't come across the calcium citrate yet, is it available at health food shops?

Old 07-27-2002, 07:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Calcium citrate is available at virtually any drug store and health store.

Speak with your local pharmacist. Calcium has become such a widely recommended/used supplement that most drug store chains have their own label, often in calcium-magnesium [and sometimes with Vitamin D] formulation.

Old 07-28-2002, 04:21 AM   #5

SueA HB User
Thanks for the info, the health food shop had a wide range of calcium products, just not one that said citrate. Does the citrate play an important part or will the one I have give the same results? Also would his calcium levels need to be checked regularly? Will the extra calcium tend to deplete his body of anything? Sue

Old 07-28-2002, 06:25 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SueA, I'm so happy that your son is sleeping better....his whole outlook on life can change with alittle extra sleep.

Did you go to the thyroid board article on Mag.citrate?

The citrate for the magnessium is more important than the calcium. I try and buy calcium that has no carbonate in it....it doesn't need to be citrate for the calcium just the Magnessium.

I was discussing the Mag. citrate with a lady who is very knowledgeable about the vit.and supp. and she said some people need to just have citrate in it, and a variety of others. Because some people don't absorb the citrate very well. Maybe this is the problem with the younger child. Then again, if the younger child is getting enough rest, he may not require as much sleep as the older one. Just a thought. Hope this helps. Good luck with your babies health. Diana

Old 07-30-2002, 04:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
Calcium citrate is considered more easily absorbed. This is why the citrate form is often recommended for the elderly who don't have enough stomach acid to break down other forms of calcium. For a youngster, calcium carbonate would probably be fine.

Speak with your pharmacist or doctor because the optimal dosage does vary by age, gender and weight.

Old 07-31-2002, 03:31 AM   #8

SueA HB User
Thank you, I will ask about the correct dose for him. Can he 'overdose' on calcium or magnesium supplements? Sue

Old 07-31-2002, 07:14 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sue, what citrate means is that it is water soluble, so it is passed through the urine if not needed in the body. Is this your concern? Just ask the pharmacist what the recommened dosage is for the age and weight of your son. Sometimes there is vit-D in the calcium, that you can get too much of. So be careful there. Diana

Old 07-31-2002, 12:09 PM   #10
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
It's possible to overdose on anything - that's why you should ask the pharmacist about the appropriate dosage esp. for children. Magnesium overdose is the easiest to spot because it usually shows up as stomach cramps and diarhhea. Not to scare you, but there's a good reason for 'recommended dosages' and 'safe upper limits'.

Closed Thread