It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2002, 08:48 AM   #1
(female)

Juby HB User
Question poison ivy

Is there something natural to put on poison ivy? The lotions that you buy at the store don't seem to be working.

Old 11-11-2002, 06:03 PM   #2

Clover0411 HB User
Talking

Every summer I get poison ivy really bad --- for the itch I make a slurry of baking soda and water -- spread on and let dry. I know its a little messy when it starts to dry and flakes off but really takes the itch out of the ivy and helps to dry the blisters. Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2002, 02:09 AM   #3
(male)

Tangle HB User
I was oncce recomended rubbing a cut cucumber over the affected area. This treatment did actually help somehow, but the effects were only temporary. The best topicaly treatment i've ever used is Cortisone creame 10%; if that doesn't clear it, i would recomend seeing a physician. He can prescribe Cortisone to zap the inflamation that this plant produces.

Old 11-12-2002, 03:21 AM   #4
Super Sarah

Talking

Don't use cortisone cream, as this just causes suppression.

If you have come into contract with poison ivy, then the very best way to get rid of it, is to take it back in potency - homeopathic potency. I don't know whether you know that the homeopathic remedy RHUS TOX is made and potentised from poison ivy? You should be able to get this from a health food store and get it in a 6 or a 30c potency. Let one tab dissolve under your tongue and then wait ten mins. Take another tab and let this dissolve under your tongue in the same way. Wait another 15 mins and then take a third tab. After three tabs you should find that your skin is no longer itchy and you no longer have hives.

It is a homeopathic remedy and will not do you harm at all. These remedies are 100% safe to take and by taking back in potency what you have come into contact with in the first place should solve your problem.

Any skin problems should not be suppressed with cortizone or steroid creams. If you do this you may find that you end up with joint problems because you have pushed it further into your body. Skin problems such as eczema and rashes may look unsightly, but it is better that they are on the surface of the body and by being on the surface, they are being eliminated. The skin is one of largest excetory organs that the body has.

Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 AM   #5
(female)

Juby HB User
Thanks every one. I will try all the natural suggestions. No more prescription medication for me. I did take some antihistamine that the doctor suggested for the itching, but that stuff always makes me feel like I'm wired, and I feel miserable. It's a case of which is worse, the disease or the cure! This has been miserable. I was also told to try egg white on another board. Have any of you tried that? I've been gone all weekend, so will get started on these treatments now. I would like to learn more about the homeopathic medicines. Is there anything to take for allergies like hayfever?

Old 11-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #6

Clover0411 HB User
Talking

Yes, I have tried the egg whites --- also dries up the blisters. However, the baking soda works a lot faster in taking the itch out!!!

Old 11-13-2002, 02:19 AM   #7
Super Sarah

Talking

Yes, there are lots of homeopathic remedies that you can take for hayfever, but you need to fit it to your symptoms first though.

If you get mainly watering and smarting eyes that are sore and itchy with profuse and acrid running of the nose then EUPHRASIA is a good remedy to take. This is commonly known as Eyebright and is effective if your hayfever mainly affects your eyes.

If you have predominantly nose symptoms, where your nose is streaming and there is acrid discharge and you have a dull headache with it and your eyes are smarting, sore and watery then ALLUM CEPA may help. This is the Onion and is helpful where you have predominantly nose symptoms that are burning and acrid and where your eyes are watering. Just think of what happens when you cut up an onion.

The two remedies that I have mentioned are the main remedies for hayfever but other remedies that may be helpful are ARSENICUM ALBUM. This can also be taken for a cold too. If your hayfever has no eye involvement, but you are constantly sneezing and streaming and you have acrid discharge where your lower lip and nose are red. If you feel chilly and are thirsty for small sips of cold water, then this remedy should be useful. If you feel hot or are very thirsty, then this is probably the wrong remedy.

APIS can be a good remedy to take for itching skin and when you come up in hives. It is made from bee venom and is good for wasp and bee stings and if taken quickly can also help in anaphylactic reactions also.

I hope this helps, but I would strongly urge you to get some RHUS TOX, which is poison ivy in potency, as I said before and if you take this your rash should resolve.

Also, I just have to correct you on one point. You do not have a disease at all. You have come into contract with poison ivy, which as its name suggests is poisonous, so it is your body's natural reaction to this to produce a rash. I know a rash can be itchy and unsightly, but it will resolve eventually and it is better than suppressing it and then getting more serious problems.

Old 11-13-2002, 06:34 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
I haven't had it since I was younger, but when I got it, it spread like crazy . . . and fast.

What worked for me was a diluted solution of Clorox - about 1 to 10 parts Clorox to water. Keep dabbing the solution on the affected area (or dampen a gauze and stick it on) and it stops itching and spreading. Only problem is to watch out that it does not drip on anything or you will have white spots all over it!

Closed Thread