It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2002, 09:54 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Post HERBS TO AVOID

HERBS TO AVOID WHEN SPECIFIC CONDITIONS
ARE A CONSIDERATION

DANGEROUS HERBS NOT RECOMMENDED
FOR INGESTION:

Autumn Crocus - Foxglove - Mandrake - Savin Juniper
Aconite - American Hellebore - False Hellebore
Deadly Nightshade - Hemlock - Jimson Weed
Thornapple - Mayapple - Pennyroyal - Mistletoe Berries
Tansy - Arnica - Mule's Ears Root

PREGNANCY:

Goldenseal - Barberry - Oregon Grape Root
Ephedra - Juniper Berry - Birthwort - Bittersweet
Cotton Root Bark - Pennyroyal - Mistletoe - Bleeding Heart
Anemone - Fenugreek - Angelica - Parsley - Baneberry
Blue Cohosh - Black Cohosh - Licorice Root - Dong Quai
Brook Mint - Wormwood - Mugwort - Peony
California Snakeroot - Milkweed - Goldthread
Inside-out Flower - Thuja - Silk Tassel - Shepherd's Purse

ASTHMA/ALLERGIES

Long-term use of these herbs can make your condition worse:

Ephedra - Kola Nut - Guarana - Coffee - Black Tea

ULCERS:

Ephedra - Kola Nut - Guarana - Coffee - Black Tea - Tobacco

CIRCULATORY DISORDERS:

Horsetail - Tobacco

LIVER DISEASE:

Yohimbe - Pennyroyal - Wormwood - Sassafras
Comfrey - Germander - Coltsfoot - Sweet Flag
California Snakeroot

KIDNEY DISEASE:

Juniper Berry - Cedar Berry - Yohimbe - Horsetail
Tobacco - Sassafras - Bittersweet - Thuja

HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE:

Ephedra - Kola Nut - Guarana - Goldthread
Goldenseal - Oregon Grape Root - Barberry
Coffee - Black Tea - Tobacco - American Mistletoe

HYPOGLYCEMIA:

Goldenseal - Oregon Grape Root - Barberry
Devil's Club - Uva Ursi - Celery Leaf
Juniper Berry - Cedar Berry

BLOOD THINNERS:

White Willow - Birch - Ginger - Aspen
Licorice Root - Sweet Clover - Pau D'Arco
Lomatium - Agrimony - Meadowsweet - Vanilla Leaf
Sweet woodruff - Cayenne - Alfalfa - Spearmint
Wintergreen - Red Root - Balm of Gilead
Licorice Fern - Thuja - Red Root

DIGITALIS PREPARATIONS:

Hawthorne - Echinacea - Siberian Ginseng
Coleus Forskohlii - Lily of the Valley,
Cactus Grandiflorus (Night Blooming Cereus)
Scotch Broom - Milkweed - Figwort - Silk Tassel

LIFE-SAVING MEDICATIONS

The following herbs may interact with, interfer with
or remove medications:

Uva Ursi - Manzanita - White Oak Bark
Periwinkle - Alum Root - Bittersweet - Bleeding Heart
California Snakeroot - Madrone - Mormon Tea - Poppies

HERBS THAT MAY CAUSE FALSE POSITIVES
ON DRUG TESTS:

Ephedra (Ma Haung) - Mormon Tea - Prickly Poppy
Matilija Poppy - Red Poppy - California Poppy
Prickly Lettuce - Blue Lettuce

The Following User Says Thank You to wackytoposthere For This Useful Post:
chonemartinez (03-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-18-2002, 10:33 AM   #2
Inactive

Copper HB User
Cool

Great list, Wacky! I haven't come across the book you mentioned, I'll look for it though.

Many seemingly harmless herbal preps call for the use of many of these herbs. Comfrey is a great example. It is PRECISELY because of these listed interactions that I caution people about self medication with herbs.

The layperson certainly CAN do it, but REALLY needs to study (LOTS!) first, and make sure to not inadvertantly cause themselve more problems.

Thanks,

------------------
Copper
Let Miracles Replace all Grievances

Old 09-18-2002, 02:50 PM   #3
Super Sarah

Talking

Coming from a different angle here, some of herbs that you mention can still very safely be taken as homeopathic remedies in potency, such as deadly nightshade, which is Belladonna and Thuja also. Homeopathic remedies can safely be taken with no harmful side effects.

Old 09-18-2002, 11:19 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Sarah-
True, But most important you have to make sure people understand it's only through Homeopathy that deadly herbs are safe. I've heard a person on a chat board one night tell someone that because {deadly night shade} is in the same family as tomato's, it was safe to use fresh. [For those of you that read this and don't know the truth, it's called deadly for a reason!]

Yes many Homeopathic remedies are make from [[[poison's]]] Herbs such as Monkshood, Arnica, Jasmine and Poison Ivy. The venom from snakes such as viper's, rattlesnakes, Bushmaster's, cobra's and Coral. And spiders such as Tarentula, Papal cross, and Black Widow's. Insects such as , Spanish fly's and Bee's. Also poison Minerals such as Arsenic oxide, Mercury and Potassium dichronmate. Also poison toads and toadstools.

They also use lots of safe Herbs, Minerals and insects for Homeopathic remedies.

Old 09-18-2002, 11:45 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
HERBAL SAFETY

It is a common myth that herbs are natural so they are harmless. The truth is that herbs sometimes contain potentially harmful compounds. Some of the
better known herbs with the potential to cause serious harm include foxglove, belladonna, arnica, oleander, jimson weed, poke root, and lobelia.

The most common poisons found in herbs are cardiac glycosides and alkaloids. Cardiac glycosides slow the heart and strengthen the heartbeat. This is beneficial for certain people with heart problems such as congestive heart failure. On the other hand cardiac glycosides can create a serious drop in blood pressure leading to a stroke or stoppage of the heart. Digitalis, from the foxglove plant, is a common cardiac glycoside used in the treatment of some forms of heart disease. It is a powerful drug that has been used to save countless lives. Oleander contains 3 different cardiac glycosides, which has killed numerous people and pets. Every part of the plant is poisonous. Most people are killed when they use the branches for a hot dog or marshmallow stick, or stir their coffee with a twig. Children are often poisoned from chewing on the leaves or flowers. And a dog died after running through the smoke of the leaves being burned by the owner. Even honey made from the pollen of the plant is poisonous. Herbs contaiing cardiac glycosides include foxglove, belladonna, henbane, oleander, lily of the valley, and night blooming cereus (cactus grandiflorus).

The best known alkaloid, and most widely abused drug in the world, is caffeine. Another well known alkaloid, and dangerous drug, is nicotine found
in tobacco and horsetail grass (shavegrass). This alkaloid is commonly used as an insecticide. Jimson weed is used rarely as a medicinal herb, and
unfortunately sometimes as a recreational drug. This plant contains 3 very dangerous alkaloids known as scopolamine, atropine, and hyocyamine. Even
though alkaloids have the potential to be dangerous, they can also be very beneficial. Alkaloids are the most common active compound in herbs, and the
basis for nearly every pharmaceutical drug in existence.

A common question is whether or not herbs can interact with pharmaceuticals. The answer is yes. Just as pharmaceutical drugs can interact
with pharmaceutical drugs, herbs can interact with pharmaceutical drugs, or with other herbs. This can be dangerous or beneficial depending on how it is
used. Herbs can be used to prolong the effects, or enhance the absorption, of pharmaceutical drugs or other herbs. Or they can be used to strengthen the
effects of pharmaceutical drugs or herbs. Here are some examples:

-Licorice root taken with steroidal drugs, such as cortisone, will strengthen and prolong the effects of the steroidal compounds. Licorice root can also
enhance the absorption of other compounds.

-Echinacea can prolong the excretion time of pharmaceutical drugs and herbs. This can cause a potential problem if a dangerous drug or herb is being taken on a schedule. Drug levels in the blood will not have dropped as low as they would have normally before the next dose is taken. This could lead to an
excessive buildup of a drug, or herbal compounds, in the blood.

-Hawthorn berry, Siberian ginseng, and plants containing cardiac glycosides will strengthen and prolong the effects of digitalis.

-White willow, meadowsweet, deer's tongue, sweet woodruff, cayenne, ginger
root, licorice root, lomatium, sweet clover (meliot), alfalfa, spearmint,
peppermint, birch, and wintergreen can increase the blood thinning effects of
coumadin and aspirin.

-Licorice root, goldenseal, barberry, and Oregon grape root can accelerate potassium depletion if you are on pharmaceutical diuretics.

-Herbs containing cardiac glycosides, or smooth muscle relaxants may create excessively low blood pressure in people taking high blood pressure
medications.

-High tannin containing herbs such as white oak bark, oak galls, manzanita leaf, and uva ursi leaf can combine with medications, and pull them out of
the body. This can be very dangerous if you are on life saving medications.

-Fresh comfrey root and leaf, germander, boneset, nutmeg, and coltsfoot may cause liver damage if used in high doses, or for extended periods of time.
Many pharmaceuticals are well known for causing liver damage, and chemically induced hepatitis. Examples of these types of drugs include cholesterol lowering drugs, the pain killers ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) and naproxen sodium (Aleve), and the hair growing drug minoxidil (Rogaine). Taking these
herbs with any of these medications can increase the risk for serious liver damage.

Herbs can effect other herbs as well. This principle is often used to enhance the effectiveness of other herbs. An example is the combining of yerba mate'
with pau d' arco, in South America. Pau d' arco is a powerful antiviral, though it's effects are enhanced by sulfur compounds. Yerba mate' is traditionally combined with the pau d' arco to provide the sulfur compounds.
Other herbs can be used to enhance the absorption of other herbs. Yucca root, schisandra berries, licorice root, alfalfa, ginger, cayenne, dandelion leaf,
and juniper berries are examples of herbs that enhance absorption, and effectiveness of other herbs. Though keep in mind that increased absorption can mean a potential for increased toxicity of certain herbs. Combining yucca root with poke root provides an example. Poke root is a fantastic immune
stimulant, antiviral, and lymphatic cleanser, though it can also be poisonous in relatively small doses. Mixing yucca root in a formula with poke root, the
risk of poisoning increases. Percentages of toxic herbs can be adjusted to compensate for their enhanced absorption to reduce the possibility of poisoning. Another example of a danger from mixing herbs can be seen with a mixture of lobelia with ginger. Lobelia is generally safe in small doses. Larger doses will normally cause vomiting which prevents the herb from
poisoning the body. Though ginger suppresses the vomit centers in the brain better than drugs such as Dramamine. If the ginger prevents the vomiting up
of the lobelia, the lobelia can relax the lungs to the point where a person could stop breathing.

Women who are pregnant should be especially careful when using herbs. Many herbs are uterine stimulants and may cause the fetus to abort. This is especially dangerous in the later stages of pregnancy when the risk of serious bleeding by the mother is greater.

Herbs may also be used to counteract side effects of other herbs. For instance a pregnant women can use smooth muscle relaxants such as red raspberry leaf or cramp bark to reduce the risk of spontaneous abortion by other herbs. High potassium herbs such as dandelion root can reduce the potassium depletion created by licorice root, barberry, goldenseal, and Oregon grape root.

Liver protecting herbs such as milk thistle, turmeric, artichoke leaf, and licorice root can be used to protect the liver from the effects of liver damaging herbs. Though many herbs considered toxic to the liver, such as comfrey, were found in some studies to only be harmful to the liver when taken in a fresh form. The dried herbs were not found to harm the liver. It is still recommended that when using herbs that are potentially harmful to the liver, you should combine them with liver protecting herbs.

Herbs should be given the same respect as pharmaceuticals. Herbalists should mix herbs for maximum effectiveness with the minimal chance of adverse side effects. Unfortunately this does not always happen. For example many diet formulas rely on ephedra (ma huang) and a caffeine source, such as guarana or kola nut, to stimulate the burning of body fat (thermogenesis). Though this works, it also overstimulates the adrenal glands leading to adrenal
exhaustion. Adding adaptogenic herbs to the formula will help support the adrenal glands. Though, despite the possibility of damage to the adrenals by
thermogenic formulas, many of these formulas still lack adaptogenic herbs to prevent the adrenal glands from "crashing".

Old 09-19-2002, 05:25 AM   #6
Super Sarah

Talking

That is great information, you wouldn't happen to be a herbalist by any chance?

No, I don't think I did read the post about the deadly nightshade, but I would never advise anyone to take it neat and am aware that it is deadly, except in potency.

Although I am more into homeopathy, I do like to try other alternatives and have recently been to see a herbalist about my stomach problems. I have been taking the herbal tincture for about a week now and have to say that my stomach has improved.

He actually told me to take the tincture in some warm water and sip this. It is real nice, as when I sip it I get a real warm feeling all over my stomach and if I have a sore stomach before I take it, I don't have a sore stomach afterwards. It is really great.

Old 09-19-2002, 10:40 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Jaytor HB User
This is the type of information I'd like to have accessible for reference [i.e. on the Resource Links].

Thanks,
Jay

Old 09-20-2002, 06:36 AM   #8

SueA HB User
Can you please tell me why wormwood shouldn't be use with liver disease. I occasionally use wormwood with my five year old and although he does not have liver disease, he has the potential to develop tumors anywhere in his body. Could using wormwood now predispose him to liver problems further down the track?

Old 09-20-2002, 11:01 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
SueA-

Many herbs are questionable for their uses and questionable on how safe they are.
Wormwood is recommended for intestinal worms and parasites.

As a general rule, however, this crude drug is seldom administered, it's active constituent Santonin being employed. It acts as a direct poison to parasites.
Santonin may also cause headache, nausea and vomiting, and in large doses, epileptiform covulsions.

Can I ask, for what reason did you choose this herb for?

Old 09-21-2002, 03:31 AM   #10

SueA HB User
Thanks for the reply. The naturopath suggested using it for my son. I gave it to him a couple of times but decided not to continue with it (the taste is truly unique!)I have him on a few different things. He has a low grade malignant optic hypothalamic glioma in association with neurofibromatosis. Apparently the artemisinin is toxic to cancer cells. [removed]

[Please respect the posting policy - no free advertising
whether or not you personally beneft.
Please do not advertise other groups. Thank you.]

[This message has been edited by moderator2 (edited 09-22-2002).]

Old 09-21-2002, 11:20 PM   #11
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
Have you tried Pau de Arco Bark, Red Clover/Chaparral/St.John's Wort?

Chaparral leaf = Therapeutic profile: a strong anti-oxidant and blood purifer; used for major disease healing and rebuilding. Primary uses: as a specific in a lymph cleansing formula for treating cancer, leukemia, melanoma and malignant tumors.

Red clover = Therapeutic profile: a definitive blood purifying herb effective for many chronic and degenerative diseases; mild anti-biotic and antispasmodic properties. Primary uses: as a specific in cancer.

St.John's Wort = Therapeutic profile: a strong anti-viral, analgesic, anti-inflammatory, and anti-depressant. Primary uses: for control of viral infections, such as staph, strep, HPV and HIV viral strains; for reduction and control of tumors growths, both malignant and benign;

Pau de Arco = Therapeutic profile: a primary antibiotic, anti-viral and antifungal herb, effective against many kinds of virally caused cancers and malignancies; a major agent for immune enhancement and overcoming opportunistic diseases. Primary uses: as a specific in the treatment of virally- caused inflammatory cancer and tumors;

Old 09-21-2002, 11:37 PM   #12
Veteran
(male)

wackytoposthere HB User
SueA -

Pau de Arco Bark/Red Clover/Chaparral/St.John's Wort

Remember: it's 1/4 dose for children 2-6 years, (Adult being 1 teaspoon to 8 oz. water)

You can get all of these herbs in powder's, mix them together, then take a 1/4 of a teaspoon of the mixed powdered herbs and mix it with 8 oz. of juice (I find letting the powder sit in a few oz's of water for 10 min.'s will help it to mix with the juice better). Being your treating a problem, I'd give it every 8-12 hours.

How you make the mix is up to you, you could do equal
parts or 1 part this to two or three parts that. You could also do more research on these herbs to understand them better before you use them.

I have seen shocking improvements with these herbs and they are used in many of the remedies I use when were at war with health problems. Even our animals benefit from them.

Old 09-22-2002, 02:40 AM   #13

SueA HB User
Thanks for the info Wacky. I have avoided using the St John's Wort as the naturopath felt he was too young for it. The others I haven't heard of so I will look into them further. I am pretty new to the alternative stuff, so I try to be well informed before I give him anything. Sue

Old 09-22-2002, 11:33 PM   #14
(male)

Tangle HB User
Great post. No doubt Nature is a mix of good & bad, this includes botany. We live at the latter end of evolution so it is advantage to read this board. Consider the many deaths associated w/ trial & error plant consumption.

I have been using medicinal herbs for about 10 yrs. Milk Thistle seed and Licorice root have been most valuable in treating toxic hepatitis. As for the caution herbs, i have used chapperal w/ no apparent toxicity. A poke/comfrey root mix was definately effective for regeneration, but toxicity became a problem. Milk thistle seed helped in the reduction of toxicity. Comfrey root is now available pyrrolizidine free.

The deadly nightshades have been used in withcraft and divination for centuries. It's anticholinergic action produces marked dissociation. It's such a common plant that offers a great temptation for risk takers. There have been many ER reports of misguided Datura use. It has powerfull hipnotic and delerium qualities at relatively small doses. In smaller amounts, it is used in several pharmaceutical medications mostly for antispasmodic action.

To my knowledge, there are contraindications for St John'swort and sun exposure.

Most of the negative side effects of Ephedra are cardiac stress. It is recommended to use heart support nutrients like magnesuim, potassium, CoQ10, and Carnitine in conjuction w/ this herb.

Old 09-26-2002, 04:20 AM   #15
Super Sarah

Talking

I wonder if you could advise me what herbs would be good to take for my stomach?

Basically, I have been having stomach problems for about the last 2 years. This was initially diagnosed as IBS. Earlier this year however, I returned from holiday with a bad stomach virus - severe stomach pains and diarrhea and very itchy skin that was coming up in hives. I went to see my doc and he took bloods, examined my stomach and told me that he thought I had a stomach infection for which I had to take high dose antibiotics. As well as this, my doc also decided to perform some food allergy/intolerance tests and I have now disovered that I have several food intolerances, lactose intolerance being one of them. Since changing my diet however, I have been a lot better. However, my doc was quite concerned about the severity of my stomach pains, so ordered an ultrasound scan of my stomach and a colonoscopy. The colonoscopy showed that I have inflammation in my intestines and diverticulitis.

Is this in some way related to my liver and should I be doing a liver detox to help my stomach or are there specific herbs that could help my stomach generally?

The blood tests showed that I had a high Sed rate and white cell count.

[This message has been edited by Super Sarah (edited 09-26-2002).]

Closed Thread