It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2003, 12:15 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

farscape66 HB User
Question Hollistic vs Naturopathic vs Homeopathic?

Whats the definition of all 3 of these, how do they differ?

Old 07-21-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

They do not really differ at all and are all part and parcel of the same thing really.

Basically, holistic means that you look at the whole person, as a whole person with a mind, body and a spirit and treat this, rather than just looking at separate parts and trying to treat the symptoms. This way never really works in my opinion.

Naturopathy can encompass the practices of homeopathy, herbal medicine, acupuncture, dietary advice and other naturopathic practices that include iridology, massage and different types of baths.

Homeopathy as you may or may not know is practiced or should be practiced according to holistic principles, in that you find the remedy that fits the person's whole state at any particular time, rather than trying to focus on a particular part of the body.

Basically, the answer to your question is that there is not really a lot of difference between all these and homeopathy can be a part of an ND's practice along with acupuncture, herbal medicine and dietary advice. They receive training in all of these when they go through med school.

Hope this helps?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-23-2003, 06:39 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Sarah,

Good reply. You are brave to answer about such differences and similarities between the three words.

With definitions there's always room for some opinions, like as with the discussions that we find on "what is the best diet". But I like your answers, without over-analyzing them.

I didn't want to look them up and reply like you have, so that I would be technically correct - been working too many hours. What you wrote sounds good to me. Great job.

Old 07-24-2003, 01:20 PM   #4

home1 HB User
To Sarah68 or anyone.

I have MS and lean toward the alternative approach but I don't have the knowledge about it like you seem to. Ive read a little bit about it. Are there any books or web sites that you would recommend? I've read somewhere that MS patients should not build up their immune system because of it attacking the nerve sheathing already. Any thoughts on that? I think I've had maybe 2 colds and 1 bout with flu in the last 10 yrs. so my immune system must be in pretty good shape. I got some yard work done today.Pretty tired but it feels good to get off the couch. My stamina sucks but Thanks for listening.

Old 07-25-2003, 01:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

rhody,

Thank you for your those kind words and I am glad you like it. I actually wrote it 'off the top of my head' and without looking at any books at all. This all came from my knowledge and experience of working within both the conventional and alternative medical field.

Home 1,

If you are interested in the alternatives for MS, then I would investigate homepathy further and consider going to see one. I don't how far down the road you are, so to speak, but homeopathy could help to reverse the effects, but if not, then it could help you to feel a lot better and therefore make coping with it a lot easier too.

There are ND's around that practice homeopathy, or alternatively, you can look up a Classical Homeopath in your area.

Good luck and hope this helps?

Old 07-25-2003, 01:20 PM   #6

home1 HB User
Sarah68, THANK YOU VERY MUCH - I have indeed done that. Any chance you could re-read my original post and see if you can answer any of those questions. I'm having trouble getting answers to this stuff even with all my research.

Thank you so very much.

Old 07-26-2003, 02:11 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Home 1,

I have re-red your original post and will try to help.

I can only recommend books on homeopathy really, as I have to say that I do not know an awful lot about herbs. I have been educated by coming to this board though, by gar fla, rhody and others who have vast amounts of knowledge on herbs.

Anyway, a good starting point for homeopathy are any of the books by Miranda Castro. She is English, but now lives in the States. I think one of hers is called the Physicians Posy. This will give you a good and simple overview of what homeopathy is about, without overloading you with the philosophical principles. These are very hard going sometimes. Also, if these books wet your appetite somewhat, then George Vithoulkas has written a couple of good books on the subject. The easier going one I think is called Homeopathy, Science and Man, but I am not sure. His best known book on the subject however is The Science of Homeopathy. This goes deeper and can be quite hard going at times, but gives you the principles behind its practice. In the end, it all depends just how deep you want to go.

As far as not improving your immune system with MS, I have not heard or read anything about that and I have to say that I really am not sure. However, I can understand why that might be said, as MS is considered to be an autoimmune disease with T lymphocytes attacking myelin sheaths. In an autoimmune type disease, your immune system is already on high alert, so to speak, so does not necessarily need stimulating any further.

It does sound as if your immune system is pretty good anyway, by the fact that you have not had any colds or any other particular illnesses for such a long time. Another theory to why this could be is that if your immune system is already on heightened alert due to the MS, then it could be affording you more protection against other things such as viruses and bacteria because of this. T lymphocytes are part of cell mediated immunity, with antibody production and other such things belonging to Humoural immunity. In MS, antibody production is higher and the T lymphocytes are involved, so this could be why you have not been unwell in the classical sense for sometime, as your whole immune system is on heightened alert anyway.

Just my thoughts anyway.

As far as homeopathic treatment goes, this will just work with your body gently and will help to stimulate your body's own natural healing process and whether it helps the MS or not on a physical level, it could certainly allow you to feel better in yourself generally.

Hope this helps?

Old 07-26-2003, 03:28 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

The book titles are as follows:-

Self-help Homeopathy and The Complete Homeopathy Handbook are by Miranda Castro.

Homeopathy: Medicine of the New Man and The Science of Homeopathy are by George Vithoulkas.

Discovering Homeopathy: Your Introduction to the Science and Art of Homeopathic Medicine is by Dana Ullman.

Have a look at these books on the famous online bookstore!!

Good luck

Old 08-14-2003, 01:54 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Hey, have you read any of my posts? I have been trying to tell people the differences between homeopathy and other forms of medicine and I tried to do that that when I initially replied to this post.

Also, I did post a topic entitled Herbal Medicine/Homeopathy to try to put an end to the confusion between homeopathy and other things, as people lump them together calling it herbal medicine when it is not at all. The two are totally separate.

If I ever see any incorrect information about homeopathy I always try to put the record straight and inform people of the differences.

Old 08-16-2003, 09:04 PM   #10

hyzenthlay HB User
ok telling people is fine. but i wanted to provide links to reliable information.

Old 08-17-2003, 01:12 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

How do you know your links are reliable in the first place though?

The information that I give to people regarding homepathy is reliable. I think that I should know. I studied the subject in college for four years, so am able to provide the basic facts that are as correct as any other.

Old 08-17-2003, 09:08 AM   #12
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
Thank you for posting. I think this particular forum needs a lot more "devil's advocating".

BTW, since the BBC "balance article" was dated almost two years ago, I presume there is no "breakthrough" coming from those Korean scientists?

Old 08-17-2003, 09:21 AM   #13
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
Sarah: I am a little confused by your statement that you studied "it" four years in college. In an earlier thrad, not that far down, you stated that you first went to a homeopathic practioner two years ago on the advice of a friend because of some health problems. And that you went on to train yourself. Can you see why I'm confused.

Old 08-17-2003, 10:53 PM   #14

hyzenthlay HB User
sorry sarah i'm not putting down your information. but anyone can come on a message board and say whatever they want. if you can go and read the information for yourself, it holds a little more validity. let's just say that links will back up your information. unless only you are allowed to talk about homeopathy.

[This message has been edited by hyzenthlay (edited 08-18-2003).]

Old 08-18-2003, 04:53 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

No, I am not the only one who can talk about homeopathy at all and it is open for discussion, but I will correct anything that I see on the topic that is obviously incorrect.

I studied homeopathy for a couple of years before seeing a homeopath and then finished off my course of study having studied acupuncture in between.

Closed Thread