It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2003, 10:33 AM   #1

Chrislynn HB User
Question To Anyone Suffering from Post Nasal Drip

Hi there. I am interested in finding out if homeopathy may be the right path for me. I know the two of you know a lot about homeopathy.

As both of you have read and responded to my posts in the past, you know that I am interested in trying herbal remedies to get rid of my post nasal drip. I am still researching herbs however, but I am also considering homeopathic treatment.

As Harry suggested, I am posting this new topic with my specific symptoms and circumstances surrounding my post nasal drip.

Okay...here it goes.

1) The post nasal drip has been going on for 1.5 years.
It is constant (not seasonal). It is dominant on the right side, rarely on the left. When it gets really bad, like right now, my glands or lymph nodes swell on the right side of my neck and under my jaw line. The mucus is generally thick (this sounds gross, but it looks like "snot" as it comes directly from nose to my throat, it is usually clear but at times, it is "yellowish". I have been told by several docs that I do not have an infection and I tend to agree with that. I always have to clear my throat and it always feels like something is caught in my throat, which leads to constantly swallowing this junk and it makes me nauseous a lot of the time, and of course, I hack up mucus whenever it is appropriate.

2) I have been diagnosed with allergic rhinitis several times and have been told by docs that the allergic rhinitis is causing my post nasal drip. I am always told my nasal passages are very inflamed and the inside of my nose is white instead of pink like it should be. I was on allergy shots for two years about 10 years ago. But my symptoms were different back then (sneezing, itchy water eyes and runny nose). Now, my primary symptom is the drip.

3) I have taken many OTC anthistamines as well as prescription ones with little or no results.

4) I have used nasal sprays and drops (i.e., Rhinocort Flonase, Ocean, (with no results).

5) I currently irrigate with a Netipot w/ salt water and baking soda solution. (results for 30 minutes, then it starts up again)

6) I have lived in Phoenix, Arizona for 24 years (very hot, dry climate, very little rain, a lot of dust, grass, ragweed and various pollen everywhere all year round, (very rarely do we get a freeze), heavy pollution and constant ozone advisory)

7) I spend at least 6 mos. out of the year in a closed window environment with the A/C on. (it is still 104 degrees today!)

8) My diet is generally healthy, I limit my dairy intake (do not cut it out completely though). I do eat a fair share of wheat products. I eat a lot of chicken and fish. I drink lots of water and gatorade but the mucus remains. I do drink a cup of cofee in the morning (I have heard cofee is not good for post nasal drip- but I really need one cup in the a.m. before work).

9) My job is usually very stressful, a lot of deadlines, my desk is an absolute mess!

10) I take lots of supplements (particularly C, Garlic, Calcium and E) Echinacea from time to time when I feel I am coming down with a cold.

11) Non-smoker, and I rarely drink.

12) I am not overweight, I weigh 112 lbs. and I am 5' 1". No serious health problems.

13) I should mention, I have problems with my ears. I produce wax at alarming rates. My left ear was completely blocked in July of this year and I had to do 5 candles in my right ear and several irrigations with a bulb and I got so much wax out, it was unbelievable. Currently, I experience pain in my right ear every few days.

Okay so there are my basic lifestyle conditions and specific symptoms.

This information hopefully paints a good picture of my condition.

If anyone out there shares my condition and lifesyle, and environment, and is successfully treating their post nasal drip, please let me know what you are doing. Thanks so much for your help!

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 09-27-2003).]

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 09-27-2003).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2003, 11:14 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Hi,

I have just printed out this information and will have a look through it and try and come up with a possible remedy.

I may need to ask you a few follow up questions, but I'll have a look through and see first.

Take care

Sarah

Old 09-27-2003, 11:30 AM   #3

Chrislynn HB User
Thanks Sarah for taking the time to help me.

Old 09-27-2003, 02:17 PM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Ok, I have looked at all the information and the two remedies that seem to have come up are PHOSPHORUS and KALI BICH.

Both the remedies cover you nasal inflammation and nasal discharge and the glandular swelling and Phosphorus is also aggravated from dry weather, which you seemed to be saying when you said that the climate in which you live was dry and hot?

The Kali Bich may work on a temporary basis, but of course, a constitutional remedy would work better and especially in light of the fact that this has now developed into a chronic problem, it really needs to be treated as such.

Could you just give me a little more info?

What is your coloring like - eg dark, fair or anything in between. Are you fair or dark skinned?

What kind of weather do you like the most? Would you say that you were a hot or a cold person?

Do you have any food cravings or aversions?

What kind of things make you mad if anything?

Are you an anxious person or not, do you get stressed easily?

What kind of outlook do you have on life generally?

Are you generally a very messy person or a tidy person?

Is there anything that you can do to your nose and throat symptoms that will make them better or worse?

This may help to select the most appropriate remedy, but at present, the Phosphorus and kali Bich seem to be coming through more strongly than other remedies.

Take care

Old 09-27-2003, 04:40 PM   #5

Chrislynn HB User
Sarah,

I am lighter skinned (caucasian). Although my skin turns dark brown in the sun due to an inherited olive pigment from my father. I also have sensitive skin, I do have isolated excema that acts up every now and then.

I prefer cool weather. Ideally, I feel most comfortable in temps around 60. But I have a high tolerance to extreme heat since I have endured 23 Phoenix summers. I suppose my body is acclimated to a warmer climate.

I crave tuna fish, macaroni & cheese and olives more than anything else. I often crave sweets (such as ice cream or cookies) but I limit my intake of sweets.

A number of things make me mad but ignorance, immaturity and animal cruelty are probably the top 3.

I am generally a calm, easy going person. I can endure lot of stress, but I will reach a breaking point eventually.

I maintain a positive outlook on life for the most part. Although, I do not trust too many people and I tend to worry a lot and over analyze things.

Cleanliness and personal hygiene is extremely important to me. My living surroundings can get a bit cluttered but never dirty.

The irrigation with the netipot provides temporary relief but other than that, nothing I have tried so far helps.

Old 09-27-2003, 06:41 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Hi Chrislynn and Sarah,
I just got on the board. Well it is football season.
Let me look at these -- You really done GOOD!!! Not many people want to give out that much information.

Thanks
Harry

Does the drainage or mucus irritate your throat to any degree?

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-27-2003).]

Old 09-27-2003, 08:59 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User
Smile

Chrislynn,

When you wrote "ragweed", that brought back memories. I often tell people about my experiences with that. Did I mention to you about aloe vera? I know I told someone recently about that.

Many years ago, when I lived in Colorado, the ragweed during the summer months would give me such a horrible reaction. Our neigbors would not cut down their weeds, until I called the "city fathers" to tell them -so that they would make them cut them down with a lawn mower. In the meantime, my nose ran like a faucet. It was continuous when I was at home, but it wasn't so bad when I was at work (where there were no weeds). At home, my nose would run and run. It didn't matter how many times I blew...I had tissue paper everywhere. I was so miserable that my nose membranes began to bleed. It was really bad.

I told someone at work, and they suggested mixing aloe vera and water together. I was told to sniff this solution in, just before going to bed - to try to not to blow at this point, allowing the aloe vera to drip down the back of the throat. It was important to sleep on the back and let it all soak in. In just a few days, I was cured where I only had to blow my nose two or three times a day.

Other people at work tried it for themselves or their children, and they also reported good results. That ragweed was a "killer" for me. As much as I liked the nice Colorado summers, I couldn't wait for the freezing months to stop all that pollen - so I could breathe normally again through my nose.

I hope that helps. Over the years, I found herbs to be so good. I have lots of stories of success....

Old 09-28-2003, 02:13 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Ok,

With this extra information, I have taken another look and come up with some other possible remedies.

Can I just ask though. Have you ever had hormonal problems and felt downtrodden by life's circumstances? Have you ever felt depressed?

Do you have any particular fears or anxieties?

Would you describe yourself as a predominantly chilly person or a hot person?

Do you keep things to yourself or do you talk about any problems that you have? Are you an open or a closed person?

I know that you said that you have had skin problems in the past, but have you ever had stomach problems?

What type of job do you do?

I am asking these questions for clarrification purposes about the possible remedies that I have come up with.

Interestingly, the KALI BICH that came up before has not disappeared, however the PHOSPHORUS is still there.

Other possible remedies that came up were NAT MUR - but I would probably discount this, as Nat Mur people tend to be quite closed off generally and are not prepared to talk openly about their problems such as you have done. It is an extremely good grief remedy for ailments after grief.

SEPIA is another possible remedy, but this is mainly a hormonal remedy. You did not mention anything about this.

LYCOPODIUM is another possible remedy, but unless you have had a lot of stomach problems and have an extreme lack of self-confidence, then this might be discounted. It does fit with the right sided complaints though, as Lycopodium is a remedy that is very right sided or at least going from right to left. They can be chilly or hot people and can be quite small in stature with fair to olive type skin and love the sun.

Are you very ambitious? I would not discount this remedy straight away, as it could be a possible, but would need a little more information. As I said before, it does cover the right sided symptoms and they also strongly desire sweets.

PHOSPHURUS - this is still a possible. Phosphorus people tend to have lots of fears and anxieties, they are generally very chilly people, but are very outgoing and are often described as 'the life and soul of the party'. They are very warm and loving towards family and friends and will talk to lots of people and make friends easily as they are so easy going. They are very attractive people is a sort of dynamic sense, in that if you happen to see a phosphorus person, you would instantly feel attracted to go up and talk to them. They seem to exude this warmth. Phosphorus people also tend to get a lot of throat problems, such as laryngitis and also lung problems such as bronchitis. Phosphorus people can also tend to be red heads who have very sensitive skin or they can be fair haried and place skinned.

However, interestingly, the other remedy that came up was also SULPHUR and at present and on the information that you have given so far, I would say that this is probably the best remedy out of all of them.

It is interesting that you said that you had skin problems in the past and Sulphur is an anti-psoric remedy and covers all the skin problems. It covers skin problems, stomach problems, lung problems and allergy and asthma problems. This would seem quite important, as you said that your doc said that the cause of your post nasal drip was allergies.

Anyway, Sulphur people can tend to be slightly messy and over analytical people, this is why I have asked about the kind of work that you do. A lot of the time they can have an aversion to washing, because it hurts their skin, but they can be very clean as you have described yourself.

Sulphurs do tend to be very hot blooded people, although they can also be chilly. They like warmth and like the sun. Sulphur also fits with the kind of skin type that you described, although your skin is sensitive.

Also, the post nasal drip and all the mucus that your are producing is very Sycotic in homeopathic terms. This is one of the miasms and the miasms are really your predisposition to inheritied disease, which can be Psoric, Sycotic, Tubercular and Syphylitic.

I think that you are very Sycotic, which is overproduction of mucus generally. Skin problems are very Psoric, but I would say that you are very Sycotic at present. Sulphur covers all the miasms.

Sulphur is often described as the Volcano, as they are always errupting from every orifice of their body and are hot too. They can also be extremely laid back people, not taking life too seriously and can be pushed a long way before snapping.

From the information that you have given so far, I would say that out of all the remedies that I have looked at thus far that SULPHUR would be the better one at present, unless you can fill in the other missing bits to see if any of the other remedies are a better fit.

Good luck and take care.

Harry, I would be interested to see what you come up with and what you think about my suggestions too.

Old 09-28-2003, 06:29 AM   #9
(female)

ebrbetty HB User
chrislynn, If you have been reading any of my past posts you will see that I have the same problems. I even had sinus surgery 2 months ago, the mucus remains. somedays it is so bad it becomes painful. my problem is I can't swallow it down because it is so thick, it builds as the day goes on. My ent keeps telling me it's coming from my stomach, I don't know what to think, all I know is I've had enough!! maybe we can both get some answers.
Betty

Old 09-28-2003, 11:02 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Harry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB UserHarry HB User
Arrow

Hey Chrislynn,

As you know I don't know how to really take a case online about your constitution. So, I'll tell you what I would do and give some of my thoughts!!

You seem to me to be a well adjusted healthy person with not alot of suppressed symptoms. I think you are a victim of your environment and I would treat it as such. And, with my limited knowledge about constitutional remedies ---nothing seem to jump out at me.

Living in an A/C environment at least 6 months a year could pruduce mold and mildew but I would not think so much But, at any rate I think you need a good HEPA filter system in your home. A little nose drainage in a place that has alot of dust and pollen is OK because it helps get rid of the allergens that we breath but your's as you know is way out of control.

Don't do anything that suppresses discharges from your nose like anti-histamines, neti pot is probably ok, don't use any anti-perspirant or anything that has Anti on it because it suppress the body's natrual elimination of toxins and antigens. Make your underarms an acidic environment with a deoderant if you want but use a teaspoon of white vinegar to a pint of water about a teaspoon under each arm after bathing -- allowing it to dry natrually. Shouldn't take long where you live. Sweat doesn't smell -- the smell is usually produced by bacteria that grows and thrives in an alkaline environment left by detergents /soaps & body washes. All bacteria and fungus cannot live in an acidic environment. Since you live in a place where you can readliy sweat, excuse me, Men sweat Women pespire --- go out and do some in moderation-- it'll be good for you.

You can soak in a tub of water with a cup or 2 of white vinegar from time to time to wash all the soap/detergent scum off and make your entire body acidic. The vinagar smell disapears shortly --- you won't smell like a pickle for long. Regular vinegar has a stronger smell.
Use a pH balanced shampoo with nothing like Head & Shoulders shampoo that even suppresses stuff.

You said you take alot of Vits and supplement. Your list was probably not complete---- so I suggest you take 25,000 IUs of Vitamin A [Carlson is a good brand] and 25,000 units of Beta Carotene with 400 units of Vit D. I like Ester C w/bioflavonoids ---1500mgs daily. Use 800 IU vitamin E, B-50, CoQ10 --60mgs daily, flaxseed oil, Grape Seed Extract, Alpha Liopic Acid and Zinc at least 15 mgs daily.

Homeopathics--- Take Kali Bichromicum 2 doses of 30X daily--mid morning and late afternoon, 1 dose of Pyrogenium 12X when you first get up and 1 dose of Silicea 30X before bed.

Sarah--- This would be the way I would treat my sister or a friend-- what are your thoughts.
C is not a Sulphur person, or Lycopodium ---too confident and I think makes decision readily, I think she does need Kali Bichr. I also have a few problems with Phosphorous but not as many???

God Bless---Harry

[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 09-28-2003).]

Old 09-28-2003, 11:15 AM   #11

Chrislynn HB User
Thank you Sarah for your in depth responses. I will answer you separately re the additional questions you asked.

Hi Harry (I understand about Football season) I am watching the Rams and the Cardinals right now.

I really do not see why others would not be willing to share as much information as I did about their own symptoms??? If it will help me learn how to treat my condition, then I do not mind taking the time. I understand that homeopathy is very extensive and takes a lot of time to properly diagnose an individual. If only medical doctors took a fraction of the time to really find out what is wrong with someone....

Rhody- I do remember you mentioning the aloe vera rinse. I have been taking notes about what everyone has said and have been thoroughly resarching all of it before I try something.

[This message has been edited by Chrislynn (edited 09-28-2003).]

Old 09-28-2003, 11:28 AM   #12

Chrislynn HB User
Harry,

I must have been typing while you just posted. Thank you for your suggestions. I will take all those supplements into consideration as well as what Sarah is telling me and find out what works best for me.

The two of you have been extremely helpful with all this and I really do appreciate it. It's refreshing to see that there are still some kind people out there willing to help others.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:33 PM   #13
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

Chrislynn,

Please could you respond to my further questions? It is just that if you do, it then gives me a clearer picture and I could then get to the best remedy after that?

Harry,

I do not have a problem with the Kail Bich and when I first repertorised, this was the one remedy that did come up the strongest, however, I do have a problem with the Pyrogen and the Silica and rotating remedies in this way. I would suggest that this is not a good idea and as you said about suppression with taking meds that are anti, it is perfectly possible to cause suppression with homeopathic remedies too and I think that taking Kaili Bich, Pyrogen and Silica may well do this.

I have no argument with the Kaili Bich, however, I have asked for more info so that I can get closer to a better constitutional remedy that fits.

Also, you have to remember that there are two sides to every remedy.

The main theme of Lycopodium is cowardice and they have a lack of self-confidence, however, the flip side to this is that they can be very confident and sometimes over confident to try and hide this, so they can appear to be bullies. However, I do agree generally, that C does not sounds like she is Lycopodium.

I would agree that Phosphorus could still be a good remedy, if I can get further clarrification of the points.

From the information I had though, I did feel that Sulphur could perhaps have been the best remedy and until I can get further clarrification, I would still say this. A lot of Sulphur people do not have any trouble making decisions at all. However, the flip side to this is that they can be monosylabic and extremely unself aware and you could shake them to get some kind of response. The other side of Sulphur is someone who is extremely intelligent and creative and can be a little messy. It also covers all the nasal and ear symptoms and the previous skin symptoms and it is a Psoric and Sycotic remedy too, which is what C needs.

Good luck

Old 09-28-2003, 02:39 PM   #14

Chrislynn HB User
Sarah,

In response your additional questions...

I am not a depressed person. Some things bum me out, but I am pretty happy for the most part.

As for fears and anxieties...I am afraid of death, spiders and vomiting.

I am neither hot or cold. I tend to go back and forth.

I am generally an open person, I like to talk about things that bother me. (as you can see).
I am extremely open minded as well.

I get bad stomach aches quite often, have all my life.

I am a paralegal at a very busy law firm.

Also, as you mentioned LYCOPODIUM- as I said, I have had stomach ailments but I am a very confident person. I do not like the sun much either, I am sensitive to bright light. I prefer night over day and dim lighting. I would say that I am quite ambitious and crave sweets a lot.

As for the PHOSPHORUS- I do have fears and anxieties, I don't know if I would say a lot but I do have some significant fears. I would not describe myself as very outgoing. However, I am easy to get along with and a nice person but I do not seek out friends as I don't like people that much (for the main reason that so many people are rude, shallow individuals and they quite frankly get on my nerves). I really love animals as they are innocent and unconditional. I think living in a big city has tainted my opinion of the human race. I know there are good people out there but I am constantly surrounded by ignorant people that it really has tarnished my perception of the human race. Hence my trust issue.

I am a little messy (as I said before with my surroundings, but not physically). I am very clean and kept together. I take great pride in my physical appearance. I am very conscious about my appearance and tend to look in the mirror alot. I must always look good, even if I feel terrible, people usually don't know it because god forbid, I look bad to anyone!

I am super analytical and critical. I can analyze anything and I do! I worry way too much too. I have been trying to cut down on that. I am a thinker, my mind never stops. I do take life very seriously even though people tend to describe me as calm. Co-workers often ask me how I can let things roll right off me as I do. I am an emotionally strong, (I have been referred to as "a rock") able-minded person and I can handle a great deal of stress with what appears to be great ease.

I am very excited about finding the right homeopathic treatment for me. I am just starting to understand homeopathy and I am finding it to be extremely interesting.

Old 09-28-2003, 02:49 PM   #15

Chrislynn HB User
Sarah,

Another thing you mentioned about Suplhur was decision making. I can be rather indecisive. This is mainly due to the fact that I am very analytical and I must research everything before I make a decision. I am capable of making a sound decision after much thought but never a "snap decision".

Closed Thread