It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #1
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Post Anyone ever try Chinese medicine (acupuncture/herbals)?

After struggling to improve my health for many years, I am now considering trying Chinese medicine. There has been much improvement since changing my diet and cleansing regimins, colonics, etc., but there still exists a host of problems related to imbalance of function between my liver, kidneys, prostate, bladder, and nerves. It has been extremely frustrating to say the least.

I suppose this would involve acupuncture and herbal treatments. A good friend of mine has been urging me to look into this as a possible solution, and she said it helped her immensely with her sinus conditons.

Thing is, I have limited funds and this would be a commitment of resources and time that I do not take lightly. Also I have had one acupuncture treatment once years ago, and it did absolutely nothing for me at the time.

But I was wondering if anyone had any stories to tell, positive or negative, about your experiences with Chinese medicine? I'd love to hear your story.

Thanks,
Al

Old 08-29-2003, 05:58 PM   #2
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
My husband had 3 sessions with an acupuncturist about 15 years ago for a chronic neck problem, but didn't see any change. It still bothers him off & on, but he's decided not so much that can't live with it.

I first went to an acupucturist practitioner following surgery as the result of a broken left wrist due to a serious accident almost 10 years ago. Because of the cast & the injury itself, I ended up with both a frozem shoulder & frozen fingers, not to mention a totally swelled-up arm. My orthopedist first sent me to a P.T. (which helped somewhat & which my insurance paid for).

On my own, I decided things weren't moving along fast enough, so I then tried eight sessions (over an almost 2 months period) of acupuncture from a practitioner who specializes in orthopedics & sports injuries, but I honestly couldn't see enough results (actually close to none) to continue on my own dime (insurance didn't cover) or time. After discontinuing acupuncture, about two months later the swelling finally totally went away & after spending hours every day working on my shoulders & fingers myself with "made-up" exercises, I finally got back to normal. This was the end of August; my acupuncture sessions were in early April through mid-May.

My other experience with acupuncture was this year with a knee sprain or strain. I thought I'd give acupuncture another shot as this time I was dealing with "pain" (with my wrist, there was virtually no pain following the surgery), so I had two extended sessions of an hour & a half each. As always, it was a pleasant experience, but, unfortunately, as soon as I got on the street, into the car, ALL the pain came back after each session. She suggested perhaps a third session would work, but frankly I was unwilling (considering my years' earlier experience, coupled with my husband's &, so far, this one, to spend another $95 to find out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-30-2003, 01:19 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Audrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB UserAudrey-B HB User
I started acupuncture a few months ago to stabilise my hormones and regulate my menstrual cycle, which was one BIG mess. It has helped me so much and i couldn't be happier. I know people who have had acupuncture to fix neck and back pains and it has helped them also.

For most things i don't think just one acupuncture session would help, but i suppose it depends what you want the acupuncture for. Like everything, it probably depends on the person performing the procedure. It's best to have the procedure done by somebody who has a good reputation. My acupuncturist actually lectures at university and i found out about her by word of mouth.

Old 08-30-2003, 05:34 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

Sarah68 HB User
Talking

I agree with the last poster, that just one session will not make an awful lot of difference. Also, you can have an initial aggravation following a treatment that will settle down later.

Also, it depends on what kind of acupuncturist you went to see. There are different types around, one being MD's who practice purely medical style acupuncture or traditional acupuncturists, who practice according to the principles of TCM. Which one did you go and see?

Acupuncture is very effective for lots of things for lots of people, so should not be discounted at all.

Good luck

Old 08-30-2003, 10:07 AM   #5
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Hmm, I actually cannot remember who did the one acupuncture treatment I had 4 years ago. It was at a spa in Florida. I remember he was not Chinese, he was a white guy who was studying Eastern medicine.

The place my friend recommends is the Pacific College. They have a school and a clinic here in NY and some other places. It is not that expensive ($60 initial acupuncture treatment, $40 after that) but if you also want an herbal consultation, that is another $25 plus I suppose the cost of the herbs too. So we are talking a sizeable commitment of cash here over a time period.

Anyway, I am still considering it, but would love to hear more stories if possible....Al

Old 08-30-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
Lest anyone think either myself or my husband went to "M.D. acupuncturists", my husband went to an elderly acupuncturist/herbalist who had trained in China & had been practicing among my city's fairly large Chinese population for many years.

My acupuncturist was American born & trained at The Meiji College of Oriental Medicine in Berkeley, CA.

At any rate, I hope you find success however it happens in your quest for Good or even Better Health.

Old 08-30-2003, 11:23 AM   #7
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
I just saw your last post before mine.

Does not that Pacific College offer low-rate sessions done by advanced students under supervision? Both acupuncture schools in my area offer a free first session, then $20 for additional acupuncture sessions. Of course, the herbal thing is available, but extra. If you're not dealing with licensed practitioners (& I'm assuming NY State does some form of licensing), those clinic fees seem quite high.

Old 08-30-2003, 12:26 PM   #8
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Yes, Pacific College does offer lower-rate sessions by advanced students. I wasn't sure however whether they were "monitored" or if so, what that even meant. Does that mean a L.A. is in the room with us, watching everything? If that is the case, I would definitely be comfortable with that, as it will save considerable money.

And yes, I do have a free coupon for the first acupuncture visit. I assumed it was with a student, and was not sure if it still meant I had to pay $60 for my "1st" session with the L.A. I really have to call them and ask all these questions, huh?.....

Old 08-30-2003, 12:33 PM   #9
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
P.S. those clinic fees I mentioned ($60/$40) are indeed with the L.A. (Licensed Acupuncturist). Those fees are higher than the sessions with the students which are $25 (this is NYC so it is probably higher than where you).

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 08-30-2003).]

Old 08-30-2003, 01:44 PM   #10
(female)

littlelulu1937 HB User
I would say that the $60/$40 fee for a Licensed Acupuncturist session is "reasonable" (if you like that sort of thing).

The acupuncturist I consulted in the spring, as I mentioned, charges $95 an hour, up from $60 an hour when I went to her that other time several years ago. I'm guessing "clinic" prices might be lower because they might not offer the same amenities ---buckwheat (or maybe it was brown rice, whatever?) pillows & 17th century "abbey" type CD background music seemed to be popular where I went--- as in a "private" practice. In any event, I haven't heard of much below $75 a session around here.

Old 09-01-2003, 06:38 AM   #11
Inactive

peregrine HB User
I have found that Acupuncture is good for some things, not for others. I have never found it to be helpful for muscular type ailments.

Generally, I prefer Chinese boiling herbs, which I have been taking for many years for CFIDS and Thyroiditis. The Chinese methods are more subtle but you avoid the harmful (and oftentimes toxic) side effects of most drugs that are prescribed. More important, you are bringing your system into balance! Western medicine doesn't address this need, they simply treat symptoms which, because of the use of harmful drugs, often results in "unbalancing" the system. Chinese medicine treats the whole person.

Peregrine

Old 09-02-2003, 08:12 PM   #12
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Update: O.K., I decided to make an appointment with the Pacific College Of Oriental Medicine's clinic. It is tomorrow (Wednesday) in the afternoon. They said that it would last 2 hours, the 1st hour being the consultation where they talk to you about your problems and mdecial history, and then the next hour is to consist of the 1st of whatever treatment they think you need. I am looking forward to this new journey.

I am praying that God will use Chinese Medicine to do some good in my body, I certainly need it.

Thanks for everybody's input so far, it was valuable. I will let everyone know how tomorrow's session goes....
Cheers,
Al

[This message has been edited by RageOfAngels (edited 09-02-2003).]

Old 09-10-2003, 02:35 AM   #13
Inactive

Louise2 HB User
I just started Chinese electrical acupunture today. I was always under the thought that I would be pierced with needles. But no, this chinese doctor ran an electrical current through 4 parts of my head and on my hand. This is to treat post nasal drip. Has anyone heard of this? Its all new to me.

Old 09-11-2003, 10:07 AM   #14
Veteran

RageOfAngels HB User
Hi,

Haven't heard of this. Sounds better than what I am experiencing though. The acupuncture so far has really hurt! I think I have always been ultra-sensitive to needles, and so I am having a hard time with it. I had my second session yesterday, and they also prescribed Peach Kernal Pills as an adjunct herbal therapy. Anyway, that is a quick update - I haven't really been enjoying it at all, but will try to continue with it for as long as possible to see if it can do any good.

Old 09-14-2003, 02:41 PM   #15

Chrislynn HB User
Exclamation

Louise- Please let us know if this electrical acupuncture really helps you with your post nasal drip. I am suffering terribly from PND and am willing to try almost anything if it works!

Good luck to you!

Closed Thread