It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-10-2004, 07:08 AM   #1

esam HB User
Exclamation child with poor immune system....please help

i have a two year old that gets sick frequently with all sorts of illnesses. he has had everything from colds to high fevers to stomach flu to you name it...... she appears to have a very low immune system and picks up everything. i think she catches stuff just from passing thru the sick room in the pediatrician's office!! she catches things from just being around other kids either at the gym nursery or at a moms' group classroom. she is at home and has 2 other siblings who do not get sick as much as her.

my husband's side of the family has several different auto-immune disorders: Crohn's disease, Kowasaki disease, Lupus, hemochromatosis, and others........

what can i give her, if anything, that would increase her immunity from catching all sorts of viruses? is it safe for a 2 yr old? is echinacea good to use or is that primarily for protecting against colds?

i appreciate any help. she is suffering thru day 2 of the stomach flu and looks terrible and i don't want her to get sick like this again. avoiding everything is impossible but i dont' want her to get sick so frequently.

Old 05-11-2004, 09:55 AM   #2
(male)

Bob2 HB User
Re: child with poor immune system....please help

ESAM

I have a daugther who is 22 years old now. Up until she was around 5 years old she got colds and kept them all winter. I read somw where that Cod Liver Oil is good for building immunity. I got unflavored Cod Liver Oil and gave her a teaspoon full every day all winter. She actually liked the taste. The reason I am saying that is an old wivestale is that if you like the taste of something you should not like, you need it very much. The Cod Liver Oil helped her because she had the more normal 2 or 3 short colds that winter. The next winter she did not like the taste any more and did not want to take it. I didn't make her, but she only had the 2 or 3 short colds that winter also and most winters up to now.

The dosage for a 2 year old is not known to me, but I certainly would not do more than a half teaspoon full. In fact I would advise you to check with her doctor.

Last edited by Bob2; 05-11-2004 at 12:26 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-12-2004, 05:33 PM   #3
Inactive

Stravinsk HB User

More than what you give to her to "increase immunity" - my question would be what are you feeding her already? What is a common days fair insofar as food goes? Once you have determined that, go do an internet search for "mucus forming foods". Also look up "food combining" or "hay diet" for more info on mucus production due to improper food combining.

If I were you I would start by doing this:

-Eliminating ALL dairy products (from cow)
-Eliminating ALL processed food including white bread, candy, chips, fried food etc.
-Increasing fresh fruit and vegetables and cutting down on meats, especially pork and beef. Of the meats, fish such as salmon, tuna, mackerel are the best - least mucus forming, and contain good oils (omega 3's and 6)

The best way to increase the effectiveness of the immune system is to give it less to deal with. It already has enough garbage to mop up in a healthy person.

Old 05-30-2004, 07:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

With the use of herbs, it's essential that a healthy diet is followed. In my opinion, it's best to avoid processed foods. Stay away from all "sweets". Foods like fresh fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, and whole grains are best. I avoid meats, but that's my personal choice. I think there's so many opinions of what is healthy in a better diet, so there's room for establishing your own guidelines.

With all these natural non-processed foods, we can find so many things to enhance our immune system. For herbs, one of my favorites for the flu is raw garlic. All it takes is one small clove crushed in some food, like in mashed potatoes. Sometimes two cloves can be taken for a large adult. It must be raw to be effective. Ginger and chamomile tea are also good for colds too. I've used that combination for myself with good results. There's others herbs too that work well when we are sick.

Closed Thread