It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2004, 09:32 AM   #1
(male)

jerbear HB User
Natural remedies for Seborrheic dermatitis

Any body have any suggestions? My Seborrheic dermatitis really flares up when I am under a lot of stress and I certainly have a lot of the stress since I have been dealing with my screwed up gasto intestinal system. But this redness, flaky skin around my nose and lips is bothersome. And I don't want to use steroid type creams. Only natural if there are any.
Thanks
Jerbear

Old 06-03-2004, 03:59 AM   #2

Daniel Rea HB User
Re: Natural remedies for Seborrheic dermatitis

Seborrheic dermatitis can be caused by a few different things such as a yeast type infection or a reaction to the environment/stress or diseases of the nervous system. I have heard of one theory that Seborrheic dermatitis can be caused by lack of Oxygen to the effected area. This lack of oxygen can be cause by oily skin/hair or the yeast infection using up the oxygen to grow. There is a gel on the market, though it took me ages to find it, that has something to do with oxygen that is "infused" will a natural oil product. When it heats up to body temp the oxygen molecular structure reverts to normal, rejuvenating damaged cells. It helps with all sorts - it has helped me with my athleteís foot to my dandruff (which is similar in its make up to Seborrheic dermatitis). I reckon this would help you with your Seborrheic dermatitis. [ removed ]

[ Daniel, these boards are for anonymous public use only.
Please do not solicit people to email with questions. Thank you!
]

Last edited by moderator2; 06-03-2004 at 06:43 AM. Reason: Do not post any kind of off-board contact information. Please carefully review the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on Posting Rules at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-03-2004, 08:35 AM   #3
(male)

jerbear HB User

Well, thanks for the info, but do you mind sharing the name of the product on here or........?
Again thanks
Jerbear

Old 06-07-2004, 01:28 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

there's also a soap bar, called "ZNP", which is available in the pharmacy section. I know CVS carries it, but it's not always in stock and you may have to have it ordered, although you don't need a prescription.

I don't remember what's in the soap (having thrown away the box), but I'[m almost certain that it does not contain any steroid-type medication, and it works like magic for me! I just wash my face with it, day and night, and it totally controls the flakes/scales. What's even better, I've been using it for a few years, and have never developed any tolerance to it. It just keeps on working.

Ruth

Last edited by SamQKitty; 06-07-2004 at 01:30 PM.

Old 06-07-2004, 02:25 PM   #5
(male)

jerbear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamQKitty
there's also a soap bar, called "ZNP", which is available in the pharmacy section.
Thanks Ruth
I'm from Canada so I'll have to do a lot of checking around for it. Thanks again!
jerry

Old 06-07-2004, 10:56 PM   #6

Daniel Rea HB User

The gel I can recommended is called OZO - I was directed to it by a friend that has used it and I have used it with success since then. I believe it is in the process moving to the USA. [ removed ]
I hope that helps.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-08-2004 at 05:26 AM. Reason: It's not necessary to discuss what's not allowed to be posted. Everyone is responsible to know and follow the posting rules. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.

Old 06-08-2004, 07:56 AM   #7
(male)

jerbear HB User

Quote:
I don't remember what's in the soap (having thrown away the box), but I'[m almost certain that it does not contain any steroid-type medication,
Hi Ruth
Thanks again. When looking up posssible suppliers here in Canada, I came across this list of ingredients for ZNP:
Ingredients: 2% Zinc Pyrithione, Cetostearyl Alcohol, Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Corn Starch, Disodium Lauryl Sulfosuccinate, FD&C Blue No. 1, Fragrance, Glycerin, Hydrogenated Castor Oil, Mineral Oil, PEG-14M, Silicon Dioxide, Sodium Potassium Lauryl Sulfate, Titanium Dioxide, Trisodium HEDTA, Water.

Sounds like exactly what I am looking for if I can just get my hands on a supplier here. Anyone from Canada on here know where it can be bought?
Have a good day!!
Jerry

Old 06-08-2004, 09:36 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

SamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB UserSamQKitty HB User

Jerbear,
I think it's the zinc pyrithione that is the main active ingredient, so you could look for any type of soap that contains it.

Some anti-dandruff shampoos work as well, and you could try different ones out to see if one will work for you. Yes, you wash your face with the shampoo! Dandruff is, basically, a form of seborrheic dermatitis. But, my personal experience was that the ZNP bar works the best.

Good luck...I hope you're able to find it in Canada.

Ruth

Old 06-09-2004, 04:55 AM   #9
(male)

jerbear HB User

Quote:
I think it's the zinc pyrithione that is the main active ingredient, so you could look for any type of soap that contains it.

Some anti-dandruff shampoos work as well,
Hi Ruth
I have been trying some Head & Shoulders dry scalp shampoo which has 1 % zinc pyrithione in it. It has helped calm down the redness etc. around my nose and lips. I'll keep looking for the ZNP here, but for now, I'll keep using the shampoo.
Thanks again
Jerbear

Old 06-16-2004, 07:47 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jerbear -
I almost forgot...there's something else that also has worked well for me, and that is from a cosmetic company called Origins. It's a product called "Grin from Year to Year", and is supposed to help your skin look younger. Since it works by removing the dead surface cells, it's perfect for seborhea. It's all natural. I'd forgotten about because I'd run out of it about 6 weeks ago...just picked some up this past weekend and realized I'd forgotten to tell you about it.

Yes, the dandruff shampoos help somewhat, too, but I found that "somewhat" was the operative word...they didn't completely get rid of the scales/redness.

Good luck!

Ruth

Old 10-28-2004, 09:52 AM   #11
(female)

alltaurus HB User

Try a papaya or pumpkin enzyme peel on your face and licorice tea for adrenal function. I have the same problem and it seems to work for me. I also take zinc and lots of vitamin C.

Closed Thread