It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2004, 07:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Lightbulb Dhea Anyone?

Hi, I'm taking 25mg of DHEA , timed release capsules. Is anyone else taking it, how many milligrams, and if so what is it doing for you? I've only been on it less than a week.
Thanks.

Old 07-26-2004, 07:46 AM   #2

johnx HB User
Re: Dhea Anyone?

Assuming you're female, 25mg is an awful lot to take. Do a search and read up on it. I have found tons of medical writeups and none recommended above 10mg/day for women. I know of some women who take it every other day. If you take too much and your body converts it to testosterone, you could start getting unwanted hair and other female high-testosterone symptoms. I'd do a little more research and drop to 10mg in the mean time, if I were you.

I also saw a site that recommended cycling it every few months. Also, if you're under 40, you shouldn't even be taking it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-26-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I have read about it quite a bit and only one time have I read to take 10mg.
I am a fifty yr old female.
The Life Extension Foundation (LEF) sells it in 25mg strength.
Of course, I'd reduce dosage if I got any unwanted side effects. This is converted into estrogen which to me is a positive. thank you!!

Old 07-26-2004, 09:49 AM   #4
Inactive

isolated one HB User

How do you know that you need DHEA? It would be wise to get a blood test to determine if your levels are too low in the first place. Otherwise, you may be giving your system too much and that puts stress on the liver to get rid of the excess. This is a hormone and that's something a person shouldn't play guessing games with.

Old 07-26-2004, 10:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Cool Re: Dhea Anyone?

I know I'm deficient in Dhea just because I'm 50. DHEA supplements have been shown to help prevent cancer, arterial disease, multiple sclerosis, and Alzheimer's disease; treat lupus and osteoporosis; enhance the immune system; and enhance memory and my memory has gotten worse. They have done placebo controlled stuides on dhea. And you can read about those on a search engine. DHEA is reported to rejuvenate every organ system, restore energy, improve mood, increase sex drive, relieve stress, reduce body fat, and make the skin softer and hair shinier. I sure don't want to miss out on those things! DHEA gives people the ability to take control of the aging process, and undo the damage inflicted by time. One of the most commonly observed effects of taking DHEA is increased energy levels.
After I did extensive reading about it, I found out that DHEA is produced by the body in abundant supplies during youth, reaching a peak around age twenty-five, then falling to much** lower levels in later life. In the youthful prime of life, men produce approximately 31 mg DHEA daily, and women product approximately 19 mg. Sixty-five-year-old people only have 10 to 20 percent as much circulating DHEA as 20 year olds. Even Andy Weil of Harvard University isn't against dhea. I looked up his opinion also.
After peaking in the years of the mid-twenties, the decline rate for DHEA and DHEAS is relatively constant at about 2 percent per year. DHEA and DHEAS levels in young women are 10 to 30 percent lower than in young men, but with age these sex-based differences disappear as the levels of dhea drop. In the bodies of the elderly, the DHEA levels drop to virtually none** just before death. So you can see at 50 our levels have decreased.
Some researchers express the opinion that while DHEA may slow some of the problems of aging, it can't reset the cellular clocks of aging, nor can it extend the maximum life span. According to DHEA pioneer researcher Dr. Samuel Yen, DHEA is a drug that may help people age gracefully.So that sounds great to me. What's the opposite of aging gracefully? I hate to think of what that would be. I feel I'll be able to tell if it's a Good thing to take by how I'll feel in a month?

Old 07-26-2004, 01:05 PM   #6
Inactive

isolated one HB User

I use several herbs and vitamins daily and would never even think of going the prescription med route but I believe DHEA should be thrown into the same category as Ephedra because too many people are taking it with no clue of the potential risks. At age 50, DHEA levels should be falling but you don't know to what extent. Messing with hormones is not as simple is taking a vitamin or herb. Why do you think people on hormone replacement therapy require liver function tests? DHEA had been promoted as a "fountain of youth" based on the theory that replacing that which is lost will slow or stop the aging process. DHEA can benefit those who severely lack the hormone but most people taking it don't really need it. Let's hope you're one of those who does.

Last edited by isolated one; 07-26-2004 at 01:10 PM.

Old 07-26-2004, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Lightbulb Re: Dhea Anyone?

How did you find out that "most people taking it don't need it." That's an awful lot of people from different countries so how could you know ?

Old 07-27-2004, 06:03 AM   #8

johnx HB User

Susan, it looks like you've done about as much research as I have. Maybe a little more. The list of benefits is impressive, but I do find that so many herbs and other hormonal supplements also provide long, never ending lists that I just don't believe most of it. I have read some very good 10 or so page studies and none recommended over 10mg/day for females. The male doseages were higher, for sure, but they went out of their way to point out that women could get the unwanted side effects.

You say that it is converted into estrogen? Have you had blood work done? I assume you know that both estrogen and testosterone are responsible for female libido. If you're seriously considering taking DHEA on a long term basis, it would behoove (sp?) you to get your hormone levels checked. First after being off of the supplements for a couple of months, then after taking them for 2 months. (or, however months you think would 'reset' your levels) Also, have you considered pregnenelone, which is one step up on the hormonal chain? Or, if the blood work would be too expensive, how about visiting a naturopathic doctor?

And, BTW, 50 years old ain't "elderly". I certainly hope you weren't implying so.

Old 07-27-2004, 07:06 AM   #9
Inactive

isolated one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanGene
How did you find out that "most people taking it don't need it." That's an awful lot of people from different countries so how could you know ?

It is still not determined whether the decline in DHEA levels after the age of 30 represents an actual deficiency or normal levels for those later years. Those who notice benefits from DHEA tend to be people with serious deficeincies for their age. These people don't represent the majority of all those taking the supplement.

Old 07-03-2005, 09:29 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

cardinal HB User

Susan are you still viewing? I just started dhea again. I took it for a month and did feel better!! I was having high bp for awhile and stopped. But having severe degenerative discs and arthritis issues along with many surgeries I have opted to start dhea again. Meds make me very ill, so chronic pain and depression something has to work! I am 49, female, hysterectomy in my 20's and no hrt. Needless to say, lacking hormones!! I am going to ask for a hormone level when I get to see a compassionate doctor??? All the doctors I have seen put me thru many tests, x rays, surgeries and pills! I'm over it! our bodies are lacking things!! adding drugs that disrupt the system only exasperates it all!!

Old 07-03-2005, 09:45 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

hi everyone, I am not going to "have my levels tested." It is a fact that dhea is low at my age. Three days ago I also started pregnenolone. I have read a lot of studies using 50mg for women and there were no side effects. I take 25mg of dhea so I'm sure I'm safe. I can't tell if this is helping me because I've just begun a new regimen of Indian herbs like ashwagandha and turmeric. I HAVE noticed my knees feel 50% better since I started on calcium/magnesium on the advice of a doctor . Online doctor . I cannot bring myself to go thru life without vitamins. Lots of them. I do not eat right nor do I exercise so this is the Least I can do !! I got a bottle of Protandim for my husband after seeing it on tv and replicated the ingredients myself. I'm sure the actual milligrams are different, though. But I find that when certain family members behavior used to send me up a wall that behavior now doesn't seem to have the hair-raising effects anymore. I sleep deeper. But I will always be looking for that "magic pill."

Old 07-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #12
(female)

holst HB User

If you want to lose your hair, I'm sure your safe. I am 43 and went to a holistic-oriented internist who tested my adrenal levels. One of my tests on DHEA came back a little low. He suggested I take DHEA 25 mgs. I took it unknowingly and stupidly for 6 months. I could kick myself right now! I have lost half of my hair in the last 2 months. I just went to an endocrinologist today and he said my DHEA at 260 was too high and was most likely the cause of my hair loss. Ugh!!!! The stupid quack holistic doc said my levels were fine and thought the hair loss was caused by low thyroid and gave me a prescription for a thyroid med. The endo was incredulous when he heard that and said your thyroid tested fine and any medication would screw things up more. Now I'm balding because of DHEA. Be forewarned. I totally agree with the other posters about not messing with your hormones - it is serious business!

Old 07-09-2005, 06:50 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Smile Re: Dhea Anyone?

You are supposed to take 25-50mg for months and then 10mg PER WEEK afterwards. My hair has been falling out for 10 years and it's STILL too thick!
So this doesn't bother me. I intend to read more about dhea and see if 10 mg per DAY is ok after I build up my levels using 25mg. I'm always buying books off amazon so I'll be an expert by the end of the year No way will I stop taking it ; my rest means so much to me.
I have read that if you get acne all you do is REDUCE DOSAGE and it goes away. I think that would take care of your hair loss. I really do. Most doctors would gladly put me on medication, have me keep returning for appointments to get more meds rather than have me use over the counter stuff.

Old 07-10-2005, 06:21 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

Why don't you want to get your hormone levels tested? I go to a compounding pharmacist who does this for me. It is so simple. Just do a saliva test and it will show levels for estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and DHEA. My test showed I was low in progesterone and a little low in testosterone. She compounds a cream just for me and this is all done with the supervision of my family doctor. So I've got all the bases covered.

Old 07-10-2005, 07:06 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

"It is so simple. Just do a saliva test and it will show levels for estrogen, progesterone, testosterone, and DHEA. My test showed I was low in progesterone and a little low in testosterone. She compounds a cream just for me and this is all done with the supervision of my family doctor."

You don't know it but you have a remarkable situation. Here are the variables that are unusual:
1) just do a saliva test. Not all doctors BELIEVE in salvia testing. Just as most doctors don't believe in hair testing.
2) she compounds a cream. FEW druggists know how to do this. IF you can find one who does you are not in a small town. I am.
3) it will show levels of (all these hormones). Most doctors would not even consider testing a woman for testosterone saying it's a man thing. Let alone DHEA (which many would say causes cancer). This whole DHEA question is not even discussed by most doctors. They will prescribe an estrogen and provera and that'll be it.
You have a unique situation; it's really a good one!

Closed Thread