It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2004, 01:55 PM   #1

carolmerrill HB User
natural supplements for healthy nerves?...

I am trying to promote healthy nerves because I have a terrible case of the shakes. I can't get rid of them, they are all over. I am running out of traditional medical diagnoses and am now looking at alternative treatments. From what little research I have done, I think that magnesium, calcium, copper and Vitamin B are the minerals and vitamins that help promote healthy nerves. Am I correct or am I missing something? How do I go about obtaining these and how do I know how much to take? I know that there is a certain kind of magnesium that you should take and I think it is always supposed to be taken in conjunction with the calcium.

Has anyone else had experience with these? I am just at the beginning of my research regarding these so any info would be helpful. Are there any dangers? Thanks.

Old 09-15-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: natural supplements for healthy nerves?...

Can you give more information? Do you shake all the time, or just at certain times? Do you feel nervous or anything with the shakes? Do you have any other symptoms such as difficulty with coordination? How old are you?

The B vitamins are safe to take in "large" doses. I used quotes on the large because there is controversy over what really constitutes a large dose. My husband and I take 400-800 mg of niacinamide or niacin (be aware that niacin can make you flush, which is harmless, but can be alarming if you don't realize that it might happen) a day plus a B-50 capsule.

You should be aware that it is possible to have too much copper, especially if your water pipes are copper. In fact, tremors and shaking are one of the symptoms of Wilson's disease, a rare disease which is seen in people who accumulate too much copper. You might want to look it up on the internet just in case you have some of the other symptoms, too. A hair test can indicate whether a person has a copper imbalance. Most of the copper in the body is not stored in the blood so a blood test might not show an imbalance. A person with a copper excess generally has a low level of zinc and needs to supplement zinc. Vitamin C helps chelete excess copper from the body. If you have a problem with copper you need to find a doctor who is knowledgable about this to help you.

You might want to try to find an orthomolecular doctor if there is a good one in your area. We live in Western Washington and I could tell you the name of a good one here. They are more experienced in what tests to take in order to find out what vitamins, amino acids and such a person is deficient in (or has too much of) than most doctors because they believe that a lot of chronic illnesses are caused by biochemical imbalances in the body (this includes problems with copper and other things, too).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-16-2004, 01:14 PM   #3

carolmerrill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kime
Can you give more information? Do you shake all the time, or just at certain times? Do you feel nervous or anything with the shakes? Do you have any other symptoms such as difficulty with coordination? How old are you?
I do shake all the time. You can't see it most of the time, if you do it is a very fine tremor. I don't feel anxious anymore--this summer was a different story. I was VERY anxious this summer, but I have not gotten any better, really, or any worse and I have had a lot of tests that have ruled out the big stuff so I am much better now. I do have terrible insomnia, although with the Inderal I am taking for the tremors, I am sleeping now about 4 hours a night. I have no trouble with coordination, but I do have some muscle pain in my left bicep, left muscle at the elbow, and my fingers feel very weak when I type, but I have normal strength and grip. I am 42 years old.

Quote:
The B vitamins are safe to take in "large" doses. I used quotes on the large because there is controversy over what really constitutes a large dose. My husband and I take 400-800 mg of niacinamide or niacin (be aware that niacin can make you flush, which is harmless, but can be alarming if you don't realize that it might happen) a day plus a B-50 capsule.

You should be aware that it is possible to have too much copper, especially if your water pipes are copper. In fact, tremors and shaking are one of the symptoms of Wilson's disease, a rare disease which is seen in people who accumulate too much copper. You might want to look it up on the internet just in case you have some of the other symptoms, too. A hair test can indicate whether a person has a copper imbalance. Most of the copper in the body is not stored in the blood so a blood test might not show an imbalance. A person with a copper excess generally has a low level of zinc and needs to supplement zinc. Vitamin C helps chelete excess copper from the body. If you have a problem with copper you need to find a doctor who is knowledgable about this to help you.
I think I have looked up Wilson's disease and I didn't really fit the symptoms with that, but it's been a while so I'll have another look.

Quote:
You might want to try to find an orthomolecular doctor if there is a good one in your area. We live in Western Washington and I could tell you the name of a good one here. They are more experienced in what tests to take in order to find out what vitamins, amino acids and such a person is deficient in (or has too much of) than most doctors because they believe that a lot of chronic illnesses are caused by biochemical imbalances in the body (this includes problems with copper and other things, too).
If you had the name, that would be great. Right now I am just information gathering about what to do next since the traditional paths seem to be running out. Even though I live in KC, your doctor might have the name of someone in my area that he/she could give me if I made contact.

Old 09-17-2004, 08:10 AM   #4
(female)

Kime HB User

Try calling the office of Dr. Abram Hoffer in Victoria, BC, Canada. That's what I did to get the name of our doctor. Just say that you looking for an orthomolecular doctor in KC.

Old 11-28-2004, 04:04 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

you don't have to restrict yourself to just vitamins and minerals. you can also use certain herbs to strengthen the nerves. valarian and vervain are both nerve tonics. also the essential oil rosemary is a nerve tonic. hope this helps.

Old 12-02-2004, 10:21 AM   #6
Inactive

mariepom HB User

Hi Carol,
I had the feeling of tremors also ...mostly i felt it in my legs. It started after eating Salmon for dinner. I happen to make a pig out of myself and ate to much. The next day I did some walking on my treadmill for about an hour. It was after that ...that I noticed feeling tremors. It was like a feeling of vibration in my body. It lasted about a week. I just have a feeling that it could of been maybe the mercury in the fish. So I now stay away from foods that may contain mercury. I have not had the tremors since.
Have you checked out mercury poisoning?

Closed Thread