It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2004, 06:29 PM   #1
Inactive

Rickhard HB User
Ground flax seed is the most dynamic, health promoting food on earth

Ground flax seed is the closest thing there is to a perfect food. They contain essential amino acids and the all important Omega 3 essential fatty acids. They have some carbohydrate, which makes them a complete food. They contain vitamins, minerals and fiber. They contain phytochemicals and lignans, which help fight some forms of cancer. There is a big long list of health problems ground flax seed can address. I've gone from daily use of Flovent and Flonase to occasional use of my albuterol inhaler and only use Flonase when I get an attack or right before cleaning house because I know I will stir up a lot of dust. I will never win the Good Housekeeping Award. Earlier this year I had a condition my doctor called "exercise intoerance". I could not do any aerobic exercise without getting a bad reaction like falling asleep shortly afterward or feeling very weak and extremely tired the next day. Things began to turn around when I started eating oatmeal for breakfast every morning. That was March. I got back to being able to do forty five minutes of aerobic exercise four times a week. Then I began eating ground flax seed in June. I started with one tablespoon and worked my way up to a half cup a day. Now, I do ninety minutes of aerobic exercise six times a week. I rode the stationary exercise bike for two hours, sixteen minutes and thirty three seconds yesterday. That is the longest ride of my life. The only other time I came close to riding the bike this long was when I was taking a liquid oxygen supplement called Oxybuild 1200 about seven years ago before I came down with exercise intolerance. I rode it for two hours then, but I didn't incrase my daily ride. It stayed at forty five minutes. The nutrients in ground flax seed help your red blood cells transport 0xygen more efficiently. It has to. That is what I read and that would account for some of my increased exercise endurance. The Omega 3s help a lot, too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-04-2004, 09:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Kari7171 HB User
Re: Ground flax seed is the most dynamic, health promoting food on earth

What is so great about oatmeal? Other cereals have the vitamins and minerals that oatmeal has. I have started eating 1 packet of instant plain oatmeal every morning before work to try to control my digestive system and slow it down.

When I have sore eyes from looking at a computer too much I take a flax oil pill and it makes them feel a lot better.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:10 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Very interesting documentation on flax! Thank you! My daughter has exercise induced asthma and her albuterol inhaler isnt quite doing its job these days and she has to sit down till she can catch her breath.
I would like to know what exactly is in it for the mineral content...just curious. Your post has made me think that I definitely need to get some for her and myself Thank you again, glad I stopped by this morning

Old 10-05-2004, 04:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

I did go to the website that is posted on this board about flax here is some interesting information I found.
Amount Per Serving (2 Tbsp) % Daily Value
Calories 120
Calories from Fat 70
Total Fat 8 G 12%
Saturated Fat 1 G 5%
Cholesterol 0 G 0%
Sodium 8 MG 1%
Total Carbohydrate 8 G 3%
Dietary Fiber 5 G 20%
Sugars 0 G
Protein 5 G
Vitamin A ------ 0%
Calcium ------ 6%
Magnesium ------ 25%
Vitamin C ------ 0%
Iron ------ 15%
Zinc ------ 15%
* Percent Daily Values are based on 2,000 calorie diet.
Daily Value not established.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Some of the potential health benefits of flax seeds:
Increased energy, vitality, and stamina
Increased sense of calmness under stress
Reduced threat of blood clots
Protection against cancers, particularly hormone sensitive cancers such as breast and prostate
Lowered blood cholesterol levels
Lowered high blood pressure
Better regulation of blood sugar levels
Eases inflammatory tissue conditions, including arthritis
Alleviation of dry skin, eczema and psoriasis
Enhanced immune system
Increased metabolic rate with a positive impact on weight management
Helps with Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
Natural laxative

I wouldn't of even thought of looking it up with out this post.

Old 10-05-2004, 11:40 AM   #5
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

hi. here are some suggestions: until the flax seed begins to take effect, have your daughter use her albuterol inhaler right before exercising. that is what my doctor told me. Experiment with the amount of flax seed. a child shouldn't need as much as an adult. i started very low because i didn't really think it would be as good as claimed. i started feeling better at the 1/4 cup level, but i didn't get the major benefits until i reached the half cup level. start keeping a food and mood journal if you can.

keep in mind the seeds must be ground. i grind up what i'm going to use right before i cook them. i believe in cooking them. the oats and flax taste good together. it's an extremely nutritious way to start the day. i believe ground flax seed is the #1 health food there is. i've not experienced anything else like it. good luck. my blood pressure was 118/78 on my last doctor visit which is my best reading ever. pulse was 68. that's from the flax and all the exercise i do.

Last edited by Administrator; 04-11-2012 at 06:20 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 04:14 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

She does take do her inhaler 15min. before exercise. That's the only time she takes it.
I showed her your post and this morning she was eating up the oatmeal...hahaha, I forgot to get the flax today....dang! I will put it on my to do list for sure. She usually tries to eat good foods too. No problem there. Rarely has soda pop either, but plenty of water and sometime a good mineral sea salt to replace her salt and make the water go deeper into the cells. I worry about her getting too run down, late nights with sports then lots of homework. She has had shingles at the age of 13, hope that never happens again, so does she. Thanks for the updates on your findings. Diana

Last edited by drs; 10-06-2004 at 04:15 PM.

Old 10-06-2004, 05:35 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

rhody HB Userrhody HB Userrhody HB User

I consume flax seeds too with my whole-grain brown rice and wheat berries (seeds). I crush them to a fine powder with my Vitamix. I eat this multi-grain hot cereal at least two or three times a week. I hadn't isolated the benefits of the flax seed, as some of you have been done, but I have been aware of the tremendous nutritional value in flax seed.

I think that whole-grain oatmeal is a great choice too. I'm happy to see so many people realize the importance of good foods.

For those that consume flax seed oil, you might want to switch to flax seeds. Some studies indicate a relationship between some types of cancer and the processed flax seed oil. I can't remember the details right now, but you might want to check it out.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:35 AM   #8

johnx HB User

We just buy it in bulk and grind it in a coffee grinder, then add it to our homemade cereal. Probably don't get 2 tbsp/day, but that's OK. At least we're getting some. The fibrous material of the actual seed is supposed to be beneficial in addition to the oil, so ground whole seeds are best. Also, eating them without grinding them isn't supposed to help, as there is a problem with them digesting without being ground. GNC carries pre-ground flax, but from what I remember, the cost of 2 bags (maybe 1) would buy you a coffee grinder and more than 2 lbs of bulk flax seeds.

Old 10-08-2004, 10:18 AM   #9

mara6 HB User

where can I find whole flax seeds? I just bough preground some at GNC and it was expensive.

Old 10-08-2004, 01:54 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

May I throw in a note of caution here?
About two years ago, I began eating two tablespoons (the recommended amount to obtain the daily requirement of Omega 3s) of ground flaxseed per day in an effort to lower my borderline high cholesterol. Within one month, I felt as if I was losing my mind.... Severe short term memory and concentration problems - I couldn't even remember how to shower or program the microwave. I was severely anxious and irritable. Physically, my soles and palms turned yellow, my tongue and thyroid gland enlarged. By the end of one month, I had run out of flaxseed and was far too sick to leave the house to buy more. As it turned out, the more days I went without eating it, the more improved my condition became. It became clear that the flax was the source of the trouble.

I discovered shortly afterward that my thyroid function was borderline low, and I started taking thyroid supplement for that. But I researched extensively to find out why I'd had such a horrid reaction to the flax. I learned that livestock is never fed ground flax plants because it's known to inhibit their thyroid function. It goitrogenic and it contains thiocyanates, which contribute to the ill effect.
My theory is that because my thyroid was on the verge of failing on its own, the thyroid inhibiting effect of the flax pushed it over the edge. All the symptoms I'd had are typical of severe thyroid failure.

Now, maybe it was just some kind of allergic fluke, but I don't think so. And it's entirely possible that flax oil doesn't have the same goitrogenic properties... But I'm not going to risk it.
Bottom line, there is no "perfect food". There will always be someone who has a negative effect from any one food.

Old 10-09-2004, 05:05 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Midwest 1, I appreciate your input. I'm sorry you had such a bad reaction. I'am on a higher than needed dose of thyroid meds. do to cancer of the thyroid. If I'm on the next smaller dose it falls to low on function, so I have to be a little over. So for me the flax seeds is a good solution. It is always good to hear all the angles though. It may be that some people just can't tolerate what other need. Also some people have allergies to nuts. Would this be in the nut family?

Old 10-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #12
(female)

Kime HB User

Flax isn't a nut, it is a seed. But a person can be allergic or intolerant of anything. I think the posts here just go to show how individual we all are and each person needs to find out for themselves if something is helpful for them or not.

Another thing that the flax could be doing that is helping allergies and asthma is the fiber might be helping to sweep toxins out of the digestive tract and thus lower the stress on the body. Flax is a great source of fiber.

Old 10-12-2004, 07:34 AM   #13
Inactive

Rickhard HB User

Midwest1, I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with flax. I've read allergic reactions to it are very rare. That sounds like what you had. That's why I cook mine. My wife has a goiter. I read that if you don't cook it, it can interfere with the absorption of iodine and thus can make goiter or thryroid function worse in susceptible people. It's helped me so much that I didn't put in any cautionary information. That's the main negative thing I read. But that's only supposed to happen if you eat more than four tablespoons raw according to my info sources. Of course, we are all individuals and our body chemistries are a little different. When storing the seeds, don't let them get wet. I heard that realeases a chemical that is bad. It does thin the blood slightly, I emphasize slightly. My wife is on Coumadin and she has to have her blood thinness checked regularly. The nurses and doctors say flax is okay for her. They just adjust her coumadin if her blood gets too thin. Eating lots of green leafys or foods high in Vitamin K can have same effect. When I post I believe I almost always mention I cook it with my oats. If you were eating it raw, you might give it another chance after consulting with your doctor. It has so many beneficial things in it. The overall good it does outweighs the small harm it may do in some cases. I"ve been eating four tablespoons a day[whole seeds], but now I'm going up to five a day because the weather is getting colder. I learned it can increase your tolerance to cold on a website about horses. I've found this to be true. It's below 50 F now and my wife and I sleep with the windows open.
For those trying flax for the first time. I do reccommend cooking it. You can boil it or bake it at 350 F or less. Do write down any changes in what is happening with your health. It's always good to check with your doctor before making any major changes. Your percentage chance of having an allergic reaction is extremely low.

Old 10-14-2004, 02:24 PM   #14
(female)

mcohen HB User

I eat 2 tbsp of ground flax every morning and love it. I do not cook it because I have not been successful in figuring out how to cook it so it's not gummy. Rickard, can you give me some pointers on how to cook it? I cannot eat oatmeal so that's out but do you have any other suggestions for me? Thanks

Old 10-15-2004, 07:11 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

reddoorblack HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcohen
I eat 2 tbsp of ground flax every morning and love it. I do not cook it because I have not been successful in figuring out how to cook it so it's not gummy. Rickard, can you give me some pointers on how to cook it? I cannot eat oatmeal so that's out but do you have any other suggestions for me? Thanks
Yes! I am very interested in learning how to grind, cook, eat flax seeds. I definately want to give this a try. Any help would be very much appreciated.

One question... Does it matter where you buy your flax seeds? I found a bag at Walmart but have also seen them at GNC. Would it make any difference?

Closed Thread