It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-03-2004, 09:54 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
What's the best herb or supplement for a cold?

Hi, I have the traditional stuffy head and nose, sneezing, aching, I know about echinacea, zinc and vitamin c. Is there anythin else you suggest! Oh, and I usually get strep throat once or twice a year, insead of traditional western medicine, ya know antibiotics, what do you suggest for that. Thanks.

Old 12-06-2004, 01:10 PM   #2
(female)

Kime HB User
Re: What's the best herb or supplement for a cold?

How much vitamin C have you tried? To be effective you have to take it to bowel tolerance. It works better if you start taking it to bowel tolerance at the first sign; after the cold has dug in it does not relieve the symptoms as well as when you nip it in the bud. You can look up bowel tolerance online, each person is different. For instance, I usually take 30-50 grams a day for a cold.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 12:57 PM   #3
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

When I get a cold or flu I usually get a secondary bacterial infection so along with the echinacea and Vit. C I usually take goldenseal. It's a mild antibiotic, so I take lots of acidophilus afterwards.

For a cold, I always sleep a LOT, stay warm and drink lots of clear fluid (no milk, no juice, just water and hot tea).

Old 12-08-2004, 04:56 PM   #4
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I just got over a cold and did a 4 days fast/cleanse with it. Along with the herbs mentioned in the above posts, I would say keep oil of caynne and oil of oregano , and collatal silver around. All three are amazing. The caynne and oregano will wipe out any viral symptoms happening in your chest and throat. The collatal silver does it all. You can't go wrong with any or all of them. They are staples in our house. Read up on them- there is lots of info on the web.

Old 12-10-2004, 11:18 AM   #5
Inactive

alptraum HB User

Hot tea and raw garlic cloves chewed thoroughly works great for me and my sister. The store bought western meds for cold/flu don't do anything for me, I used to try quite a few and found them all to be nothing more than money down the drain.

Last edited by alptraum; 12-10-2004 at 11:19 AM.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:44 PM   #6
(female)

Morgaine HB User

At the very first sign of a cold/flu, my family and I take Sambucol...it's the only anti-viral all-natural product of it's kind. It's proven it's worth to us year after year....(it also doesn't hurt to eat right, exercise regularly and take a multi every day )

Old 12-14-2004, 08:30 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

bswfeb25 HB User

I swear by Cold-eeze. You can buy it at any drugstore (CVS, ********, etc.) in the cold care section. I'd try the cherry or lemon/honey flavors (not citrus). Start taking them at the very first sign of a cold. Suck on one every few hours. I have found that it will usually nip whatever I'm getting in the bud, but even if you actually do get sick, you don't get as sick and it doesn't last as long if you keep taking them. I've recommended Cold-eeze to many people who now also swear by it!

Old 12-28-2004, 01:21 PM   #8
(male)

Bob2 HB User

Jessica

Ginger is a good herb for a cold. You can take capsules or get ginger root from the grocery store and cut a few thin slices and put in boiling water. Do not boil very long. This makes a tea that will help. You have to experiment to get this right. What my wife does is open a capsule and pour the contents into hot water and stir it. You have instant tea that way. Either tea can be sweetened to taste. You can probably find ginger tea in the tea section of the grocery store also. Most groceries have herbal teas in the tea section.

Old 12-29-2004, 04:41 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

cookiepls HB Usercookiepls HB User

As another poster mentioned........Cold-eze. I tried it when it first came out and now I won't be without it. I keep some at home and some at work. If I get that funny feeling in my throat like a cold is coming on, I can pop a lozenge in my mouth and not get a cold at all. Even if I wait too long to start the lozenges and the cold takes hold, I can get rid of it in just a couple of days. With the Cold-Eze, I hardly even get any of the symptoms. Nothing to interfere with my day or with sleep.
The other day, my 13 year old niece came over with an awful head cold asking me if I had some cold medicine. I gave her enough Cold-eze to last her a couple of days. That's all it took. I love this stuff!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them.
-Dr. Martin Henry Fischer-

Closed Thread