HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   Do amino acids help anxiety/depression? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/230524-do-amino-acids-help-anxiety-depression.html)

pheobe13 12-06-2004 02:08 AM

Do amino acids help anxiety/depression?

Hi there,

Was wondering if anyone's had any success using amino acid supplements?
For depression/anxiety type issues? (Such as b'calmed)

The idea is that the amino acids give your body the stuff it needs to make it's own happy chemicals. This appeals to me more than anti-depressants.

Are amino acids safe to take every day?

Any feedback would be great. Thanks. :confused:

auntjudyg 12-06-2004 06:46 AM

Re: Do amino acids help anxiety/depression?

Have you read Julie Ross's The Mood Cure? But, yes, I do think they can help tremendously. A good start while you research this, if you are not doing so already, is to make sure you are eating enough protein . . . at least 15 grams at meals (figuring 3 meals a day).

sidnee74 12-08-2004 10:01 AM

I agree with auntjudyg, "The Mood Cure" is great - its diet and supplement recommendations are helping me control my depression naturally. Definitely check into getting that book!! It does talk extensively about getting enough protein (which is where you find aminos).

Best!

pheobe13 12-08-2004 11:11 PM

Thanks guys,

I've got the book out of the library, as well as Patrick Holford's Nutrition for the mind which has a lot about amino acids and omega 3s in it. I think I'm gonna give it a try before I take the meds the doc gave me. Thank you for the advice :)

pheobe13 12-08-2004 11:15 PM

I thought I'd add that I'm vegetarian and only really eat eggs (and small amount of cheese) I have soya milk n stuff so I get protein there. Not sure if I ever eat enough tho..

auntjudyg 12-09-2004 06:17 AM

[QUOTE=pheobe13]I thought I'd add that I'm vegetarian and only really eat eggs (and small amount of cheese) I have soya milk n stuff so I get protein there. Not sure if I ever eat enough tho..[/QUOTE]It could be that some of the amino acids are a little lacking in your eating regime, so looking into supplements (hopefully you can find some that would fit your requirements) really might help. The other thing that may be helpful is omega-3 fatty acids. The primary vegetable source (flax seed) contains a lot of omega-3s but I read it is not very bio-available, so fish oil is really preferable. Best wishes!

ratboy83 12-09-2004 02:09 PM

hiya. saw you asked if it was safe to take the amino acids everyday. certain specific aminos are good for depression- being tryptophan (precursor to serotonin), tyrosine (precursor to noradrenaline anbd dopamine), L-phennylaline (converted into tyrosine). also you can buy a synthetic version of the latter, being D-phennylaline. this isn't used in the body in the same way as the other amino acids. instead it blocks the action of enzymes in the body which break down endorphins in the body. i've also heard that its effectiveness increases with time. you can buy a mixture of the two types of phennylaline called "DLPA". anyway, if you take specific aminos for a long period you need to take a amino acid supplement that contains ALL of the amino acids, otherwise it an inbalance of aminos can occur affecting their overall effectiveness in the body.