It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2004, 07:30 AM   #1

sidnee74 HB User
Unhappy Pinworms/parasites...cayenne?

Caution: This post deals with a gross topic (IMO).

I had some minor itching in the past couple days and saw something in my stool that looked like a pinworm (thin, white, pointed end, I swear it looked like it moved). My hubby said he heard that cayenne was good for eliminating parasites and went out to get me some. Anyone know anything about this? How much should I take and when should I get results? How long should I wait before calling a dr? What about a bowel cleanse or I have even heard of a parasite cleanse but know nothing about either. Any specific brand names I should look for?

Also, should I treat my kids? They haven't complained of any symptoms. And should I quit preparing food for my family? I really don't even know how you get parasites. I am almost "anal" (pun intended) about hygiene, handwashing, etc. Could it be from the raw milk we drink or free range meats?

This whole thing has me pretty much grossed out and embarrassed . I would much prefer a natural treatment so I can avoid the dr - but want something that is effective, too.

Appreciate your help,
Sidnee

Old 12-08-2004, 06:17 PM   #2

marcen HB User
Re: Pinworms/parasites...cayenne?

Pinworms are highly contagious. They are transferred from human to human, not from animals as many people think. They are very common in children, and are then transferred to the rest of the family, although you may have picked them up yourself. The eggs go everywhere so you could have picked them up from many things...in most places, the drugstore carries the medicine you need OTC. You usually do not need to see the doctor. You take the medicine once and then again about 2 weeks later, and the whole family should be treated to be on the safe side. I wouldn't do the natural thing...I am all for alternative methods generally but pinworms are very hard to get rid of without the medicine. YOu will want to do a thorough cleaning of the house (wash bedding in hot water etc), to remove any eggs. Pinworms cause intense anal itching in most people, and usually at night when the female comes out to lay her eggs. Some people do not show symptoms and you usually cannot see them in the stool. I hope all this info helps...go talk to your pharmacist!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2004, 09:21 PM   #3

sidnee74 HB User

Thank you for the info. I will check into it.

Sid

Old 12-18-2004, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

mudhound HB User

Worms! YECK! what a problem. I think there is some OTC med that will help.

Mudhound

Old 12-19-2004, 01:19 AM   #5
(female)

lu55 HB User

Sidnee,

Please let me know what you find out as a treatment. Several days ago, I had the exact experience you did. Just the thought of worms/parasites inside me makes me cringe.

I did read (can't remember where) that the drugs MDs give you for this are hard on the body (possibly the liver?). I am still searching (obviously to no avail) for an alternative solution. So far I have read that cayenne pepper is good, as well black walnut tincture, garlic, cloves, and wormwood.

Let's keep each other posted. Oh, I'm leaving in a few days for the holiday and will not return until the end of Jan.

Thanks, Lu

Old 12-19-2004, 06:57 AM   #6

marcen HB User

The medicine is strong enough to kill the worms, but it won't hurt you (you only take it once or twice). The alternative stuff will take a long time to work and isn't always reliable. These things will persist and get worse, and also spread to others if you don't take care of them quickly

Old 12-20-2004, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

lu55,

I did a parasite cleanse with the herbs you listed-black walnut hull, cloves, and wormwood. I got some eggs out mainly.

On the intense anal itching, I have had that before. I've always wondered what it was until a friend of mine at work was changing her grandbaby's diaper and saw a pinworm kinda...sorry to be gross...halfway out of her. It scurried back up inside her and her grandbaby started crying and reaching back to scratch her anus. I knew right then that that's probably what I had. She got some OTC medicine for the pinworms and her grandbaby hasn't had them since. I think she did the whole routine of washing clothes and linens in hot water to kill any eggs and stuff. BTW, I haven't had any of the severe anal itching in about a month or so, and I just finished my parasite clease. Guess I'm gonna found out if the parasite cleanse worked or not.

But Sidnee, bottom line, as with any other ailment, if it gets to where you've tried all the OTC remedies, herbal remedies, and anything else, call the doctor.

Old 12-22-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

I was wondering if there are any parasites that can cause exhaustion, concentration problems, and low short-term memory?

Old 12-23-2004, 07:25 AM   #9

sidnee74 HB User

I wouldn't say that what I experienced was intense anal itching. It was more or less a tingling sensation. And I have had it in the evening and during the day, but only three or four times. I haven't seen anything else that looks like worms, so I am wondering if there is another cause?? I did notice that each time I had that sensation, I was constipated. I have issues with constipation/diarrhea, etc (IBS?) and lots of times feel like the stool is right there ready to come out, but I can't make it. So maybe that would cause the feeling I have? Anyway, I am continuing garlic, cayenne, and observation. If it becomes more intense or regular than I may just get the meds and get it over with.

Which reminds me, what about taking the OTC medicine if you don't happen to have parasites? Would that be harmful?

Thanks for your help!

Old 12-23-2004, 07:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB Usersusieq0726 HB User

EEEWWAHHH!!!!
This all brings back a horrible childhood memory of mine! When I was about 4 yrs old, my mother noticed me itching my butt. She called the doctor and he told her to (and this is gross,,,,) Wait until I went to sleep and then pull the covers back and shine a flash light on my butt! I guess if you have worms they go to the light. (Weird huh?)
Anyway, they apparently "went to the light" cause I was at the doctor's office the next day. He prescribed this absolutely awful liquid medicine that looked just like blood. I had to take two large teaspoons two times a day for three days. It was the worst tasting stuff I have ever had. On the last night I remember telling my mother it was going to make me sick, but she made me take it anyway. Two hours later I threw it up along with my dinner!
The stuff worked though because I never had itchy butt again!

I do hope your OTC medication worked.

Old 01-03-2005, 07:26 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

SarahF HB User
Re: Pinworms/parasites...cayenne? To Concerned Male

I don't think any parasite could cause those, but those symptoms sound like hypothyroidism.

Closed Thread