It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-19-2004, 07:47 PM   #1

kikaida01 HB User
Chiropractic Treatment and Tmj

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone have tmj and has gone to see a chiropractor for treatment? I have been going for about 8 months now and I do get affraid when he does neck manipulations on me. My neck never did crack or make a popping noise but now it does. I don't have hardly any pain but the fact that my neck makes these weird noises freaks me out. As far as the tmj is concern, I have learned that tmj is common. My own dentist, doctor and friends have tmj. I do have clicking of the jaw but hardly any pain. But as far as my neck is concern it doesn't feel that stable anymore. When I move my neck it sometimes twitches on its own. Does anyone have any suggestions if I should stop chiropractic treatment or continue? What are your opinions about chiropractic neck manipulations?

Old 12-20-2004, 05:10 PM   #2
(male)

greensky HB User
Re: Chiropractic Treatment and Tmj

I don't have tmj, but went to a chiropractor for lower back pain. The treatment would help for a couple of days and then I would be in more pain then prior to the treatment. The chiropractor countinued to insure me he could help, so we went on for quite a while. Finally I stopped because I was getting worse. Generally I think a few chiropractor treaments are safe but many treatements over a long time can be quite a strain for the body.

You havn't mentioned how often you go or if it helps, but I think after 8 months you should stop now.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2004, 06:57 PM   #3

kikaida01 HB User

The chiropractic treatments does seem to help my my tmj but as far as my neck is concern it seems to be making cracking and popping noises which I never had before I started treatment. The chiropractor said that is good news that my neck muscles are loosening. He said that many people can't reach the stage where I am at where my muscles are not tight anymore. I am going to see a physical therapist for my neck next week and I will find out for sure if my neck is suppose to be this way or not. I am just scared when it comes to my neck. I have heard some horror stories of people getting strokes, and so forth. I don't want that to happen to me and I don't want my tmj to get worse.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:53 PM   #4
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I go to a chiropractor who works directly on my jaw as well as my spine. I don't know how I survived before I met him!!!! The release of tension is unbelievable. Not all chiros know how to adjust a jaw - you need to find one who does.

Last edited by kerry1; 12-21-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 01:42 PM   #5

dagmarharris HB User

I also go to the chiro for neck problems. Does anyone wear one of those bite things made by the dentist and does it help with TMJ and grinding? I know they are very expensive! Are they effective?
~dagmar

Old 01-02-2005, 02:16 PM   #6
(female)

Guineapig5 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Chiropractic Treatment and Tmj

I found those devices worse than ineffective - as a matter of fact, I woke up one night with pieces of one in my mouth ( a mold for a more sturdy one}. Kind of freaked me out!

I have had luck with a combinaton of chiropractic treatment {I, too get those neck noises though!} and alteraton of bad habits like lifting too much weight, tensing my jaw or neck, etc.

Old 01-02-2005, 04:20 PM   #7

dagmarharris HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineapig5
I found those devices worse than ineffective - as a matter of fact, I woke up one night with pieces of one in my mouth ( a mold for a more sturdy one}. Kind of freaked me out!

I have had luck with a combinaton of chiropractic treatment {I, too get those neck noises though!} and alteraton of bad habits like lifting too much weight, tensing my jaw or neck, etc.
I also had that happen, kind of,--- but I threw it across the room in my sleep. But it was a cheap one, I bought over the internet. I think the dentist ones are way more expensive? Did you dentist give you a new one?
~dagmar

Last edited by dagmarharris; 01-02-2005 at 04:21 PM.

Old 01-02-2005, 06:52 PM   #8
(female)

Guineapig5 HB User
Wink Re: Chiropractic Treatment and Tmj

LOL, dagmarharris! My dentist did give me another, sturdier one. It was so sturdy in fact, that my jaw felt locked in position and throbbing each morning - hated it! Perhaps these devices are a great help for some, but mine will stay securely in its case, thank you very much!

Old 01-05-2005, 11:50 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I was diagnosed with TMJ but it turned out it was just a tooth that had gone bad at the very root. I suffered for about 4 years during which time I did everything. The week after my root canal I was completely better. Incidently - for some reason - the infected root didn't show up in ex-rays initially. Then one day my dentist said "oh, you need a root canal" and I was SO happy that I'd finally found a reason why I was always in pain.

Just something to consider.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineapig5
alteraton of bad habits like lifting too much weight, tensing my jaw or neck, etc.
You are SO right. Nothing makes TMJ worse than carrying heaving bags.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

I forgot to add - try botox for your TMJ it worked WONDERS for me when I was experiencing extremely painful neck, shoulder, face and jaw aches. It doesn't hurt at all and starts to work within a few days (1st day it aches worse!!)

Unfortunately insurance will NOT cover any botox treatment. SO convenient for them that it also happens to be used for cosmetic purposes too!! grrrrrr!!

Old 01-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #12
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I use one of those bite thingies at night for TMJ. It helps a lot, but doesn't stop me from clenching. That's why I have to go see Mr. Chiropractor every so often. However, if I don't use the night guard, I end up with cracked, chipped teeth. NOT good. And much more expensive to get crowns & sealant than to get a night guard made for you.

Old 02-24-2005, 01:17 PM   #13
(female)

angels3112 HB User

HI, I have TMJ and have a bite guard, no it doesnt seem to help me. u might try a chiropractor that does myofascial work/technique.

Closed Thread