It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2005, 10:30 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question A good herb or natural remedy for constipation??

Hi,
I was wondering if anybody could let me know about how a natural product or herb could help with constipation. It's pretty bad and very frustrating, thanks. I was taking triphala but it isn't working anymore, and sometimes it takes too long to work. I tried drinking senna but it ends up being diareea and bad cramps.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-04-2005 at 10:31 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 09:59 AM   #2
(female)

whispergrrl HB User
Re: A good herb or natural remedy for constipation??

I have heard that Psyllium Husk powder (or capsules) work well. Maybe that would help?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Like the previous poster said, Rsyllum Husk powder. Also, try drinking more water and adding a couple of heaped tablespoons of ground flax seed with your oatmeal or cereal. Or, how about some prunes?

How is your diet?

While training for her nursing degree my friend worked in a colon ward and some people there hadn't pooped for weeks. However, they lived on potatoes, pies etc - no water and no veggies.

It could be your diet that is causing it.

Old 01-05-2005, 01:23 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's the funny thing cause my diet is real good. I eat flaxseeds almost everyday, bean soup, apples, brocolli, grapes, cereal, and still nothing. Well, I probably go about every 3 days, unfortunately, I know I can go more but I just can't,lol. My cereal contains 10 g of fiber in it alone, and the soup I eat has about 12g for the whole can. I'm going to try psyllum(sp?), any recommeded brand. Thanks guys.

Old 01-05-2005, 07:34 PM   #5
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Pysillum Husk is excellent but you have to drink a lot of water throughout the day and night otherwise it can keep you constipated. It needs water to soften the sludge in your colon and eliminate it. If you do not drink enough then you can remind even more constipated!
Also be cautious with herbs like senna which are in many natural formulas for constipation. It is effective but should only be use once in awhile since it is very invasive and harsh on your intesties and colon.
Most brands of psyillum are good, just make sure it is the whole husk.
Another to try is not an herb but a mineral, magnesium. It relaxes the bowels. You can take it before you go to sleep. Best to combine it with calium citrate- equal amounts ( 1,000 mg. each).
Works like a charm and also relaxes you and aids in sleep.

Old 01-05-2005, 11:04 PM   #6
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Probiotic supplements. The most common one is acidophilus. Check out the "bowel disorder" thread.

Old 01-06-2005, 05:40 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

PBABY HB User

Yes, armadillo pie is right. Psyllium is good!!! But you MUST drink plenty of water while taking it b/c it will cause constipation. Otherwise, great stuff!! Try an enema, too. That may help get things going.

I know this is not natural, but have you tried stool softeners? I take those everyday but not the kind w/the laxative in it. I just get the walmart brand. They really help me!!

Last edited by PBABY; 01-06-2005 at 05:40 AM.

Old 01-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
That's the funny thing cause my diet is real good. I eat flaxseeds almost everyday, bean soup, apples, brocolli, grapes, cereal, and still nothing. Well, I probably go about every 3 days, unfortunately, I know I can go more but I just can't,lol. My cereal contains 10 g of fiber in it alone, and the soup I eat has about 12g for the whole can. I'm going to try psyllum(sp?), any recommeded brand. Thanks guys.
hmmm....thats weird.

Oooh, every 3 days is ROUGH!! I go once or twice a day.

Are you eating a very small amount? Maybe you're not even eating enough to need to go once a day??!

Old 01-07-2005, 04:55 PM   #9
(female)

white dove HB User

Xylitol is a natural laxative--And amazingly, xylitol is good for your teeth! It reduces growth of that yucky-smelling plaque. It's available online at Homesteadmarket and some health food stores carry it. --It tastes like sugar (but with fewer calories) so I just sweeten tea, etc. with it to prevent constipation. Diabetics can use it as a sweetener. Just don't consume more than 1 or 2 ounces per day or you'll get the runs. But I think a doctor could give you better help than we can. Hope you're more comfortable soon.

Old 01-07-2005, 07:47 PM   #10
(female)

NatashaN HB User

A very good (for me anyway) remedy that is home made is cultured cabbage juice. It contains soooooooo much good bacteria. It is mild and will not shock your system.

Hope this helps

Last edited by moderator2; 01-09-2005 at 09:03 PM. Reason: website not allowed - please read the posting rules

Old 01-09-2005, 08:51 PM   #11
(female)

Heartsy HB User

A magnesium oxide capsule along with a 500mg vit. C tablet taken every night is excellent for constilation. I do this every night and never have a problem.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wow, you guys are great! WHere can I get cabbage juice, is it yucky? And I do have calcium citrate tabs from twin lab but they only suggest 2 capsules a day and both capsules equal 150mg of mag and 300mg of calcium. Should I take more? It equals to 30% of my daily value for calcium and 38% dv for magnesium. I do eat about 2 servings of low fat dairy a day. And veggie girl, I eat about 1500-1800 calories a day, do you think that's too low? I'm at a good weight for my height and weight. Not trying to lose weight, however, 5 less pounds would be nice. I also have some days where I eat about 2000 calories too. And kerry, would yogurt count as being enough "healthy bacteria?" I also eat some cottage cheese with acidipholus and others, oh and the yogurt has it too. Maybe the whole thing is dairy, lol, cause some people have problems. I just love low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk I can live without.

Last edited by Jess75; 01-10-2005 at 05:19 PM.

Old 01-10-2005, 07:13 PM   #13
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
And kerry, would yogurt count as being enough "healthy bacteria?" I also eat some cottage cheese with acidipholus and others, oh and the yogurt has it too. Maybe the whole thing is dairy, lol, cause some people have problems. I just love low fat yogurt, cottage cheese, and milk I can live without.
Plain, organic yogurt "counts", yes indeed. It has lots of good bacteria in it (read the fine print just to make sure, because it can be cultured with different types). Don't get the sugary, sweetened, fruity yogurt - get it plain-plain-plain. If it's too plain for your taste, add your own fresh fruit and maybe granola.

I would definitely avoid milk and cheese if you're constipated.

Old 01-10-2005, 09:44 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry1
Plain, organic yogurt "counts", yes indeed. It has lots of good bacteria in it (read the fine print just to make sure, because it can be cultured with different types). Don't get the sugary, sweetened, fruity yogurt - get it plain-plain-plain. If it's too plain for your taste, add your own fresh fruit and maybe granola.

I would definitely avoid milk and cheese if you're constipated.
Thanks, I bought soy milk tonight but I like cheese once and a while....arrrgh, I like to put a little dash of low fat mozz cheese in my bean and veggie soup. Oh well, I'll try one thing at a time. Thanks!

Old 01-11-2005, 05:16 PM   #15
(female)

NatashaN HB User

Hi Jessicca, sorry I completely forgot to include the link on how to make it yourself. It's very quick and all you need is a blender and something to strain the mixture with ..and of course the cabbage, hehe

Last edited by moderator2; 01-12-2005 at 12:58 PM. Reason: please do not post websites

Closed Thread