HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   How do you Detox? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/239691-how-do-you-detox.html)

valleygurl 01-06-2005 09:50 PM

How do you Detox?

I would really be interested in detoxing my body. Can someone tell me exactly what and how to do it? Also, tell me the exact benefits from it? Thanks in advance, ValleyGurl

Michael01 01-07-2005 12:50 PM

Re: How do you Detox?

Do a search: [ [b] removed [/b] ] In our lifetime we accumulate lots of pollutants & chemicals into our bodies. Fasting will eliminate toxins thru the colon, liver, kidneys, lungs, lymph glands and skin. You may want to consider a 7 day juice/water fast (assuming your not diabetic or on medication). Again do a search and see what you have to do plus the importance and benefits of detoxifying the body. When I did my first fast it was supervised at a Health Resort. Easier to do away from home.

PBABY 01-07-2005 01:08 PM

Have you heard of the Master Cleanse? It's supposed to be good for giving your digestive system a break. I'm gonna start it real soon.

veggie girl 01-07-2005 01:22 PM

[QUOTE=valleygurl]I would really be interested in detoxing my body. Can someone tell me exactly what and how to do it? Also, tell me the exact benefits from it? Thanks in advance, ValleyGurl[/QUOTE]

The body stores toxins (which come from pesticides, metals from packaging, air pollution, undigested food in the gut sitting there rotting etc) in the fat on the body. Over time the toxins seaps into the blood stream where are send to the various organs. This causes a strain on the body as vital organs must use their energy to process the toxins. Common symptoms of toxicity are headaches, digestive disorders etc.

A detox helps your body get back to optimal condition by NOT adding any more toxins than it aready contains and helping it to help itself to expel the toxins it ALREADY has.

You do this with various juicing, organic fruits and salads, lots of water, light exercise, meditation and body brushing to phsycially jump start the expelling of toxins. In addition there are herbs and teas that can enhance the process (such as Milk Thistle which supports the liver or peppermint tea which aids digestion.) If you like - and are brave!! - you can do it with a colonic too or an enema as this gets rid of intestinal matter that may prevent the good stuff from getting into your system.

Basically detox is like cleaning out that junk drawer that has SO much crap in it that just keeps getting piled in - except its your body you're doing it to.

If you want a complete fast, let me know and I'll post it (its a bit long!!)

Michael01 01-07-2005 01:39 PM

I completely agree about the importance of detoxing the liver. Although I haven't done a 7 day fast in many years I do place a lot of emphasis on detoxing the liver and do it many times a month. A came across a mild liver cleanse that appeals to me which I have posted before. It's the juice of one lemon, 3-4 oz of aloe vera juice (use the detoxifying formula with 10 herbs if you can find it), liquid milk thistle (comes in 2 oz container), liquid garlic extract (also in 2 oz container) and olive oil. Add some water to this. It's not all all difficult to drink. You can also add Green Tea liquid extract. This plan brought my ALT which was elevated back to the normal range. It's also a good plan for those who consume alcohol. Also good for the liver is juicing dandellion, beets and carrots. I do this several times a month.

mellowfish 01-08-2005 04:43 PM

There are many different schools of thought on the proper way to detox. Fasting is something that people have been doing since the beginning of time. If properly executed, a good fast can have very theraputic effects on the body.

The most important thing is to research, research, research!! Many people undertake a first time fast without proper preparation, only to become daunted by it, unwilling to give it another try. You will read about many side effects, known as a "healing crisis". If you are fasting correctly for your own personal needs you should not experience anything extremely unpleasant, very mild discomfort at the most. Meditation, prayer, or another quiet, non-stimulating activity will counter balance any negativity (this includes yoga and tai chi).

Your physical type and what you want to achieve with a fast are the most important things you should consider. What you do with your body while you are fasting can have remarkable (or undesireable) effects on the outcome as well. Of equal value is what you consume after the fast is completed.

Thorough detoxification of the body is not something that can be achieved in a matter of weeks, usually not even in a matter of months for most of us. Remember, in all your years since birth you have been exposed to environmental pollutants and "non" foods. You didn't get this way overnight, and as remarkable as the human body is it cannot correct itself in seven days time.

Fasting and other methods of detoxification should not be looked upon soley as a way to cleanse the body, but should be added to an otherwise healthy lifestyle that is focused toward achieving wellness.

Good luck to you.

valleygurl 01-09-2005 12:37 PM

Thank you for all the replys!!!! Veggie Girl, If you would take the time to post your detox plan i would really like to take a look at it and would really appreciate it! Thanks so much,
ValleyGurl

momof752 01-16-2005 07:42 AM

Detoxing is simple if you have the right tools and mind set. The biggest thing is your willingness to want to change. The only problem is detoxing your body out helps for a while than you have to do it again and again. If you are serious about detoxing you have to look at your enviroment and everything you use every day, right down to your personal care items. There is a wonderful company out there that helps you detox your life for good and have a healthier living, with out costing you an arm and a leg. The best benefit of detoxing is know that you are not harming yourself and helping to fight any illness that may come around. The best advice is to research, read and learn. You will be amazed at the things we don't know out there.

kerry1 01-16-2005 09:42 AM

You know what? I'd love to detox too, but it's such an intense procedure that I'm going to consult a nutritionist. I've done liver cleanses (you just buy a bottle and use it up, takes about two weeks?) and they're not too invasive. But for a whole-body cleanse I'm sure I'm going to feel much worse before I feel better, and for that I need someone to monitor my progress.