It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User
Question Meditation

Hi,
On Monday, I took my first class on meditation with some yoga and I know I need to practice more to notice results. I was wondering if anyone on here ever meditates, and if you do, do you receive any benefits such as mental clarity, less anxiety, etc. I have test anxiety and I tend to be a nervous person in school..I'm currently having a fear that I may fail and I need to relax and collect my thoughts but don't know if it will be a waste of time. Afterall, time is a vital importance in my life.lol

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2005, 12:23 PM   #2
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
Re: Meditation

If you stick with the meditation I promise you will be relieved of a lot of stress/anixety. It has been proven many times over in experiments to really help.
At first if it seems difficult to let go don't worry that is natural. Over time if you devote a daily time to it you will find it easier to let your mind go and relax. The most important is to be consistant.
The yoga is also a a great stress reliever. I do Kundalini yoga which incorporates yoga with chanting and mediation. I like it because when class is over I feel so clear and open.
Doing both is great- so keep it up. You may find that the test anxiety and any phobias you may have will diminish over time if you are consisitant.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-26-2005, 09:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
If you stick with the meditation I promise you will be relieved of a lot of stress/anixety. It has been proven many times over in experiments to really help.
At first if it seems difficult to let go don't worry that is natural. Over time if you devote a daily time to it you will find it easier to let your mind go and relax. The most important is to be consistant.
The yoga is also a a great stress reliever. I do Kundalini yoga which incorporates yoga with chanting and mediation. I like it because when class is over I feel so clear and open.
Doing both is great- so keep it up. You may find that the test anxiety and any phobias you may have will diminish over time if you are consisitant.
Thanks, right now I'm doing Wayne Dyere's cd "Meditation for Manifesting" which is a form of Japa Meditation. Have you ever tried that?

Old 01-26-2005, 06:46 PM   #4
(female)

MaudeCat HB User

Jessica,
Nothing but good can come from meditation and yoga (provided it's peaceful and positive). One of the bsics of both practices is breathing. It's amazing how many of us aren't breathing right, myself included. Keep going and your body will open up and relax in places you didn't know were tense. This and knowing the subject matter for school should help. Along with the longer meditations you can arm yourself with "quick fix" material. While you meditate find an image that is soothing to fill yourself with. I chose a large, soft, white, many-petaled flower that fills my head. It sends out vines of white light throughout my body. I picture, in my mind, my arms, fingers, stomach,etc. filled with this swirling, white light. Choose whatever works for you. You don't have to close your eyes, just stare out into space, like many of us tend to do throughout the day. A few long, deep breaths and you should be good to go. You can do this right before a test or school. I've used the "white light" technique for minor discomforts like toothache or headache. I'm always amazed when it works. There might be some days when it feels like a waste of time or silly. On those days do something else like take a hot bath or listen to your favorite music. Anxiety when you are truly not in any danger (i.e. rabid dog chasing you) is a waste of time. Anxiety never really helps you get things done. Some people may like it. Whatever works. But I have to remind myself often of the big white flower in my head. Also, don't forget to smile. Ohmmmmm.

Old 01-26-2005, 07:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

You should definately stick with it. Our mind is so full of thought and clutter that its no wonder we're overwhelmed.

Do you brain a favor and stick with the meditation. You won't be sorry.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:48 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaudeCat
Jessica,
Nothing but good can come from meditation and yoga (provided it's peaceful and positive). One of the bsics of both practices is breathing. It's amazing how many of us aren't breathing right, myself included. Keep going and your body will open up and relax in places you didn't know were tense. This and knowing the subject matter for school should help. Along with the longer meditations you can arm yourself with "quick fix" material. While you meditate find an image that is soothing to fill yourself with. I chose a large, soft, white, many-petaled flower that fills my head. It sends out vines of white light throughout my body. I picture, in my mind, my arms, fingers, stomach,etc. filled with this swirling, white light. Choose whatever works for you. You don't have to close your eyes, just stare out into space, like many of us tend to do throughout the day. A few long, deep breaths and you should be good to go. You can do this right before a test or school. I've used the "white light" technique for minor discomforts like toothache or headache. I'm always amazed when it works. There might be some days when it feels like a waste of time or silly. On those days do something else like take a hot bath or listen to your favorite music. Anxiety when you are truly not in any danger (i.e. rabid dog chasing you) is a waste of time. Anxiety never really helps you get things done. Some people may like it. Whatever works. But I have to remind myself often of the big white flower in my head. Also, don't forget to smile. Ohmmmmm.
ANd don't forget AAAAAHHHHHHH!! That's the sound of the creator he says. I will definitely stick to it thanks!

Last edited by Jess75; 01-27-2005 at 08:49 AM.

Old 01-27-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie girl
You should definately stick with it. Our mind is so full of thought and clutter that its no wonder we're overwhelmed.

Do you brain a favor and stick with the meditation. You won't be sorry.
Do you meditate? And how did or do you find it beneficial? How do YOU meditate? Sorry, I'm kinda nebby and like to see what others do.

Old 01-28-2005, 05:31 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessicca
Do you meditate? And how did or do you find it beneficial? How do YOU meditate? Sorry, I'm kinda nebby and like to see what others do.
I just sit cross legged with arms on knees, eyes lightly closed and just clear my mind. Everytime a thought pops up I just go back to the clear nothingness. I also focus on the breathing - in and out, in and out. I try to do it for 10 minutes.

Its not an easy thing to do, I'm very active and hate sitting still but it does calm the mind and silence the chatter a bit.

Closed Thread