It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2005, 01:43 PM   #1

Newtocp HB User
nervous system

Hello,

I have a child who has sensory ataxia with hypotonia which is just a pretty word for saying an immature nervous system and low muscle tone that isn't integrating the sensory systems correctly. I would like to ad something to help with his nervous system but am having a hard time finding the correct herb/natural treatment.

I was thinking valerian root but he does not need to be calmed. He is absolutely great health despite everything and has a good immune system but appears to be allergic to wheat. TIA
Steph

Old 01-22-2005, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User
Re: nervous system

How old is your child? I would be careful with herbs for children just like conventional medicene, their systems are immature and don't handle drugs whether it be herbs, homeopathy or conventional very well. Kids have more reactions up to a certain age, I was a medication nurse and too many people think there is a magic bullet out there for everything and if he seems healthy and normal otherwise why put something in the body that doesn't need to be there? Why not get him into strength training, lift 1lb weights to give him some muscle tone? Helping the body doesn't always have to be something like a pill it could be strength and cardiovascular excersise. There are some good protein foods to add to the diet as well, protien builds muscle along with calcium and vit D.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-22-2005, 02:43 PM   #3

Newtocp HB User

Thanks for the advice, low muscle tone is different than the tone your talking about. Hypotonia is a birth defect and tone cannot be improved. Thanks anyway.

Steph

Old 01-22-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I have a nephew with Marfans syndrom and tho they are alot alike I didn't realise you said hyotonia, so strength training would not benefit. My nephew is now 20 and in good physical condition for Marfan. As a child when we went to pick him up you had to be careful as he was like a rag doll and could slip through the hands, so hypotonia is "rag doll" to I see. You could do range of motion with him anyway, everyone did that with my nephew several times a day and yet no bones were broken which is a big thing in marfan, it can't hurt right? With that condition I don't know what would improve his muscle tone if he just doesn't have it. So how old is your child?

Closed Thread