It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2005, 02:45 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User
exercise while fasting to detox

I have been interested in all the posts about detoxing. I am not that familiar with the process, but it seems it involves fasting. I was wondering for those of you who exercise.....do you stop exercising when your detoxing? If not how could you possibly have energy to do so?

Any info. would be appreciated! Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 05:27 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User
Re: exercise while fasting to detox

Detoxing is basically giving your body time to get rid of all the toxins that have built up due to pollution, medication, pesticides or other undesirables from our food. It also gives our digestive system a bit of a rest.

The process involves consuming mainly fresh veggie juice (which is easily digested), fresh fruits, and light salads. Also its good to add suppliments that help to cleanse the colon or herbs that help regenerate the liver (milk thistle)

Its is recommended that you don't do vigorous exercise as your body needs to energy to get rid of its toxins and process the food that is already in the system.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I have done many fasts. Some for a few weeks and others for a few days. I find for me that depending on the length of the fast that some sort of physical activity is important. You want to keep your body moving internally and ourwardly. Walking is great as is streching and gentle yoga. Sweating is also very good cause it helps eliminate more toxins from your body. But I would advise you not to spend to much time in a sauna since you could get very weak.
When I go to "We Care", an amazing place out in the desert, where I do up to two week liquid fasts, they have yoga classes, mineral hot water to soak in, and nice walks in the desert. They are a cleansing/fasting spa.
It is advised to keep moving and eliminate as much as possible.
I recently completed Dr. Schulz's kidney and liver cleanse for 4 days each. I drink alot of liquid packed with nutrients. I also walked and stretched often.
But remember not to overdo it since cleansing takes alot of energy from your body.

Old 01-28-2005, 06:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Wow, armadillo pie, I don't think I could go on a 2 week liquid diet. You must have great disipline. I was asking about it because I am seeing a naturopathy doctor tomorrow and he is going to be hooking things up to my feet and hands and go through every organ in my body to see how its functioning and any toxin build up and I just know he is going to suggest some sort of detoxing due to my BC pill for 10 years and I eat a lot of wheat products which he had a problem with. I just wanted to be prepared with what to expect, thanks.

Old 01-28-2005, 07:39 PM   #5
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Good luck with you exam. Living in the world we live in it is nearly impossible to not have any toxins in our body. Obviously the food we intake is a huge factor, but also the air we breath and the chemicals we are exposed to and do not even know it.
It takes more disciple for me to do fasts for three and four days in the city then a two week one in the desert. In the desert there were no distractios or food to tempt me. I felt very energized and clear during and after the fast. I felt "alive" in the truest sense. I was more focused there then at home where temptation is everywhere. But once I find that will power within myself, it is so empowering.
Wheat products are one of the biggest addtictions/source of food allergies. Funny cause we are encouraged to eat more wheat for its "health" benefits. Instead I have substituted rye and amaranth- which I find tasty without the side effects of wheat.
Anyway, if your practitioner suggests a fast , start small. He/she may just have you eliminate the foods that are not good for you and subsitute them with ones that work for you. But if you fast, you might be surprised that if you can let go of the thoughts of "I can't" and approach it as a new and plausible experience, you'll have no problems.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Hi Armadillo pie. You are very right about the wheat products. Here I am thinking I'm doing all the right things, eating wheat bread, oatmeal, shredded wheat and according to the doctor I have developed a chemical allergic reaction to it and all products containing wheat. He has me cutting all of this out of my diet along with a bunch of other things that I was eating that I thought was healthy, like peanut butter, sweet potatoes, apples, etc. He said its temporary until my system straightens out then we can gradually reintroduce these foods. So I've been eating whole grains like millet, cream of buckwheat, spelt (all yuck). Its gonna be a long 6 weeks, but it will be worth it in the end if it fixes my thyroid and metabolism problem.

Old 01-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

bluehen94 HB User

Your so right armadillo pie, I have developed a chemical allergic reaction to wheat according to the naturopathy doctor I went to. Here I am thinking eating wheat was good for you and apparently due to my overconsumption I developed a food allergy. Now he has me on a strict diet of no foods containing wheat, yeast or glucose meaning my choices are limited. Until my situation gets under control. I can eat grains like buckwheat, millet, spelt all (yucky). No wonder nobody eats them!!!

Old 01-31-2005, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Exercise is veeeeery important! I'm on a 30 day detox, and I actually need to exercise more. Even if you are juice fasting you should be fine.
Upshutter

Old 01-31-2005, 09:20 PM   #9
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

bluehens, isn't it ironic that we think we are doing all the right things for our health and then find out we got it wrong! Peanut butter- peanuts contain mold!
Anyway, sounds like he is on the right track with you and having you eliminate these foods slowly . You may find that you may not even want them after you stop consuming them for a while. You may feel a lot better.
I know that when I stopped wheat I really felt better- it was subtle but there was a change and I lost weight too!
Good luck with it- keep us posted
Oh by the way - there are some really good bread products at the health food store- check them out if you haven;t yet. Rye is not that bad-
can you do almond butter- that is much better for you.
I know the detox you are on- been there and have to say it really was good after the fact!!!!!

Closed Thread