It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2005, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

glo81 HB User
altovis

I order a free sample of altovis for energy and I liked the effect. When I read the ingrediants green tea leaf extract 100mg of Caffeine is the top ingrediant. I was gonna order more but I am concerned about the caffeine. I don't want to become addicted to caffeine. Is anyone familar with altovis? If so what do you think?
Thanx

Old 02-06-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

GLSheridan HB User
Re: altovis

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo81
I order a free sample of altovis for energy and I liked the effect. When I read the ingrediants green tea leaf extract 100mg of Caffeine is the top ingrediant. I was gonna order more but I am concerned about the caffeine. I don't want to become addicted to caffeine. Is anyone familar with altovis? If so what do you think?
Thanx

I've never used Altovis, but I'm not convinced by any of this company's new medical supplements. But like I said, I haven't personally used any.

Anyway, while caffeine addiction COULD occur, 100mg isn't a whole lot of caffeine. That's comparable to a cup of regular coffee.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2005, 03:15 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

you could try alternatives that are not reliant on caffeine in any way, 100mg of caffeine seems pretty high (its over the amount in two cups of tea and nearly that of two cups of coffee). the amount won't get you addicted, but there are better alternatives, without the side effects associated with caffeine: try ginseng by its self, 500mg a day; b-vits, 50mg twice a day; vit C, 500mg twice a day; cod liver oil, 1000mg capsules twice a a day; amino acid supplement (lysine, phennylaline and glutamic acid in particular); brewers yeast, mixed with raw veg juice, once a day; acidophilus powder, mixed with the raw juice; dolomite (calcium and magnesium); liquid iron supplement; zinc supplment.

eat a diet rich in the above nutrients: whole grains, veg, meat (also good source of amino acids), pulses etc for vit B; citrus fruit, kiwi fruit, leafy veg, tomatoes, potatoes for vit C; carrots, green and yellow veg, eggs for vit A; oily fish, milk for vit D; live yoghurt for acidohpilus; dairy produce for calcium (also good source of amino acids, b-vits and vits A+D); nuts and seeds for minerals (also good source of amino acids and b-vits).

do this and avoid these: drink at least 8 glasses of water a day (half hour before or after main meals); avoid refined sugar, flour, tobacco, alcohol, tea, coffee, soft drinks, processed and fried foods.

make sure you do enough exercise: a relatively small outlay of energy reaps are larger return!

conclusion: exercise, good diet and supplents= ticket to high energy

Last edited by ratboy83; 02-06-2005 at 03:36 PM.

Old 02-06-2005, 10:30 PM   #4
(female)

glo81 HB User

Thank you for the replys. When you mention 500mgs. ginseng there are so many different kinds what kind do I take? Right now I take 500mgs. ashwagandha extract which is also called indian ginseng and I also take b-100 complex once a day. I also take 500mgs. of the amino acid L-tyrosine.

Old 02-07-2005, 06:18 AM   #5
(female)

HolisticHealth HB User
Smile Re: altovis

Tried the Altovis and was pleased with the result however i agree the same if not really close to the same result can be found in more natural methods.

Last edited by HolisticHealth; 02-07-2005 at 06:18 AM.

Old 02-07-2005, 02:53 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Thank you for the replys. When you mention 500mgs. ginseng there are so many different kinds what kind do I take? Right now I take 500mgs. ashwagandha extract which is also called indian ginseng and I also take b-100 complex once a day. I also take 500mgs. of the amino acid L-tyrosine.
for a stimulating ginseng either use siberian, manchurian, or korean. american ginseng is slightly sedating, although it still has the same tonic properties, so maybe not as effective in this context. as for indian ginseng, i haven't heard of it. it sokay to take 500mg everyday (up to 600mg can be taken everyday long term). the b-complex is good but maybe break it in half and have half at breakfast and half with dinner. tyrosine is good too. will do the same as the phennylaline (phennylaline is converted into tyrosine by the body).

alex.

Old 02-07-2005, 10:53 PM   #7
(female)

glo81 HB User

Just wanted to mention altovis has Panax ginseng sas the second ingrediant. The indian ginseng(Ashwagandha) is like a sedative their was a big right up about this in Prevention Magazine. I take this before I go to bed.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:57 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Just wanted to mention altovis has Panax ginseng sas the second ingrediant. The indian ginseng(Ashwagandha) is like a sedative their was a big right up about this in Prevention Magazine. I take this before I go to bed.
okay, i suppose a bit like american then. panax ginseng is another name for korean ginseng. are you a guy? if so, panax is considered the best type of ginseng for men. its always good to alternate herb usage though over a longer period, so any of the other stimulating varieties would do. say maybe use panax for 2 months, then korean for 1 month, panax again for 2 months, then siberian for 1 month, then panax for 2 months, etc.
you say you use indian ginseng at bedtime. is this because you have difficulty sleeping? is this part of the reason for your fatuige? if so, try and get a better nights sleep. there are ways of doing this too. try taking a valarian capsule at bedtime (timed release type is best- it works over an 8 hour period). also 5-HTP is a form of the amino-acid tryptophan, which is converted into serotonin, a neurotransmitter that induces natural sleep. neither of these will interfere with the bodies natural sleep mechanisms, unlike sleeping drugs. essential oils are great too, in particular clary sage, lavender, ylang ylang. dilute 1 drop of clary sage, 1 drop of ylang ylang and 2 drops of lavender in 10mls of carrier oil and disperse in a warm bath, relax for at least half an hour. i mentioned exercise being a good energiser. it will induce a feeling of energy, but later in the day this is replaced by a sense of natural relaxtion which leads to restful sleep. it will help you sleep lomger and more deeply, leaving you feel;ing more refreshed the next day and so with more energy. any other questions, feel free to ask.

alex.

Old 02-08-2005, 08:29 AM   #9
(female)

glo81 HB User

Hi Alex,

Thank you for your advice. Just wanted to touch base on your questions so you have a better idea of what's going on. First of all I'm not a guy so does this mean I shouldn't take panax ginseng? Yes, I take the indian ginseng because I have trouble sleeping along with 50mgs. of 5-htp the combo seems to do the trick. I exercise when I get a chance I have limited time so it's hard to exercise everyday. I also drink plenty of water and take a B-complex 100 with a multivitamin. When I seen the altovis comercial it seemed to be made just for me but after I did my samples and they seemed to work great I didn't order anymore because I'm afraid of the long term caffiene effect. Now I'm back to being fatigued again.

Old 02-08-2005, 04:46 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

not a problem really to take it, but i think manchurian ginseng is the best type for women. panax certainly won't do you any harm though. how is your diet? i feel this is the key maybe. is it good? outline a typical day? maybe a food intolerance. wheat intolerance has the symptom of fatigue for example.

Old 02-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #11
(female)

glo81 HB User

My diet is oatmeal for breakfast yogart for a snack peanut butter and jelly on lite wheat bread, salads a fruit this is on week days. On week ends on Saturday & Sunday I have a nice dinner with meat or fish vegetables, salad oatmeal for breakfast with lite english muffin and yogart. For beverage in the morning I have tea with caffiene and water the rest of the day, then decaffienated herbal tea before bedtime. I'm not alergic to wheat.

Last edited by glo81; 02-08-2005 at 09:40 PM.

Closed Thread