It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2005, 10:14 PM   #1
(male)

mikeb HB User
Magnet therapy?

Interested in your opinions/experiences with "magnet therapy". Bracelets, pillows, insoles etc. (ie pain, sleep, thinking etc.)

Thanks.

Old 02-12-2005, 02:36 PM   #2

marcen HB User
Re: Magnet therapy?

I have many friends/family members who have had great success using Nikken products for their bad backs. HTH!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Never had much success with it, tried it on and off for several years, not for me so went back to the usual teas and conventional meds and it is keeping all of it at bay.

Old 02-13-2005, 02:54 AM   #4
Inactive

peregrine HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb
Interested in your opinions/experiences with "magnet therapy". Bracelets, pillows, insoles etc. (ie pain, sleep, thinking etc.)

Thanks.
I have found them helpful. Nikken is very expensive. I have found other companies that are much less expensive and work just as well. Do some research on the web.

Old 02-13-2005, 04:35 PM   #5
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

I have not used them but two friends have. One loves the mattress-said is is very helpful for her lower back pains. She even bought a portable one for travel.
My partner at work bought a mattress and had a bad reaction to it. She told me her chiropractor also told her he had a bad reaction to it as well. Not everyone benefits from it and it can cause some intense side effects. Look it up on the internet- not the company's opinions but some of the studies done.
I think is can be very different for everyone.

Old 02-19-2005, 09:20 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

I've used magnets since the 80's. They're my #1 pain reliever. I have braces for my back, wrists, knees & ankles. I use the little 'spot' ones for trigger points e.g. sciatica or wing pain, other injuries

I can't use the mattress, as it 'overstimulates' me.

LIGHT*********carole

Old 03-02-2005, 05:08 AM   #7
(female)

lag_saxet HB User

I had misplaced my wrist bracelet for some months. I was like a little kid when I found it. I have "tennis elbow", from what I have no clue. The bracelet does seem to take the pain away, but it takes a few weeks. Better than meds is my opinion.

Old 03-14-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeb

Thanks.
I've used these since the 80's, and now have a good collection for my wrists, ankles, back, & spot ones for sciatica & other owies.

But can't do the mattress, as it's overstimulating for me with Lupus.

carole

Old 03-14-2005, 05:02 PM   #9
(female)

BethyB HB User

I read an article recently that placing magnets under mattresses helps with a number of things. Anyone tried this?

Old 03-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

I've used them since the 80's for pain. I have wraps for my wrists, ankles, back, knees, etc., and use the "spot" ones for other owies & sciatica.

They're in my #1 tool box! But the mattress "over" stimulates me.

LIGHT*********carole

Old 08-15-2005, 12:54 PM   #11
(male)

Self help HB User

Magnetic therapy can be used very successfully for a great number of conditions. What many people don't know is that the North pole of a magnet has the opposite effect of the South pole of a magnet. Albert Roy Davis was the first scientist to discover this, in 1936. Davis and his partner, Walter C. Rawls, have found in their research that magnetism can be used for many different applications. You can use it to enhance plant growth, eliminate toxic waste, make stronger metals, etc. North pole (negative) energy is the healing energy, and South pole (positive) energy can be very dangerous to your health. Many products have bipolar magnets in them, so both the North and South poles are facing your body. Bipolar magnets can improve the condition for a while, but the effects do not last. Sooner or later, the improvements will end. Some products even have the South pole of the magnet facing the body. This is especially dangerous since South pole energy can increase the growth of bacteria, infections, cancer and other abnormal growths.

I'm certain that the people who've had negative experiences with the mattress pads (or other products) were exposed to South pole energy. Think of all of those people that had side effects after having an MRI. They were bathed in a very powerful South pole magnetic field during the procedure. Most people, including those that work with MRI's daily, aren't aware of the danger that South pole magnetic energy poses. The people who set up the MRI's aren't either, so they pay no attention to what direction the magnetic fields are facing.

Mattress pads shouldn't be used even when you're only exposed to the North pole energy. Magnets are much more effective when only one magnet is used at a time, on a specific area of the body. The brain shouldn't have that much exposure to magnetic energy either. The gauss (magnetic strength) must be high enough for good results. Large magnets are more powerful than small magnets, regardless of what the gauss is said to be. When it comes to large, powerful magnets, unipolar ceramic magnets are the best. Some magnets that are claimed to be unipolar, with only the North pole facing the body, are not. You have to be very careful, and be absolutely certain that your magnets expose you to the North pole.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:07 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Is there any scientific basis for all that? I tend to look at this form of alternative therapies as speculative.

Old 08-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #13
(male)

greensky HB User

One of the main hospitals in Denmark (where I live) started a test a couple of years ago with magnets on knee patients. They suspected that the magnetic field could help rebuild the cartilage. I’m afraid I don't know of the outcome of this or if they have completed the tests.

The hospital is normally very conservative in there treatments. I have been treated by the doctor in charge of tease tests and he is by no means pro alternative. Anyway that he would show interest in this certainly peaked my interest.

If I can find anything further on this I will post it.

Just as a side note on MRI. I have never heard of anybody having side effects.

Old 08-15-2005, 05:20 PM   #14
(male)

Self help HB User

Contrary to statements often made in the media, there is an enormous amount of scientific evidence proving that magnet therapy is effective. Many universities have done biomagnetic research, like MIT, Columbia University, University of Virginia, University of Colorado, New York University and plenty of others. These studies are rarely published, but there are some books on magnet therapy that list dozens of studies, even hundreds. Healing with Magnets, by Gary Null, is one of them. Davis and Rawls have written several books too. The Magnetic Blueprint of Life has hundreds of studies listed in the back of the book, from several different countries, though the conclusions of these studies aren't in the book. That would require a book in itself. Thousands of scientists and doctors have duplicated experiments done by Davis and Rawls over the years.

Here is one study that was published in the Journal of the National Medical Association, Volume 82, Number 9, in September of 1990. The title of the article is, "Evolving Perspectives on the Exposure Risks from Magnetic Fields." "In an attempt to verify the effects of magnetic fields on cancer, an experiment was performed using human lung carcinoma cells (A-549). The results indicated that a significant decrease in the growth curve of these cells occured between 6 and 144 hours when placed in close proximity to the north field of a 3.5 kilogauss magnet (written Personal communication. Philip M. Lorio, February, 1988). This experiment verified the statement that different magnetic field polarities produce different effects: while one polarity produced a decrease in the growth curve, the opposite produced and increase." "The experiment with human lung carcinoma cells verified the statement by Davis and Rawls that there is an increase in the growth curve of human lung carcinoma cells when exposed to positive polarity magnetic fields. Thus, these magnetic field configurations could present potential risks. The designers of these types of installations (eg, MRI, ESR) should consider the effects of the magnetic field and its orientation. The positive fields should be emitted in areas of limited occupancy. If new and old installations cannot be redesigned to reorient the magnetic field configuration, these units should be shielded to negate the positive polarity magnetic field."

I've used magnets for years, as have several of my family members. Doctors have a puzzled look in their eyes when they see how fast injured family members of mine heal. We've gotten a few of them to try magnets too, and they've been amazed at how well they work.

Last edited by Self help; 08-15-2005 at 05:30 PM.

Old 08-15-2005, 07:10 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I'm a skeptic at heart and once I've tried something and it has no effect on my condition then I tend to think it is not all it is hyped up to be. But I'm open to trying anything once or many times. I used magnets for a year, different areas, different times of the year but never improved my arthritis. LIke all medical techniques what works for one doesn't necessarily work for another. I had no side effects of course, just nothing at all.

Closed Thread