It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2005, 02:55 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Is there a Natural remedy for a slight cavity?

I think I may be getting a cavity, not sure as it is one of my front teeth, but if it is, is there anything I can do besides the typical brush and floss so that I don't have to go to a dentist?

Old 02-13-2005, 05:56 PM   #2
(male)

greensky HB User
Re: Is there a Natural remedy for a slight cavity?

To slow down decay you can brush daily with oregano oil and colloidal silver (according to Hulda Clark). I don't think you can avoid the dentist, if for nothing else to check if this is actually working. If you just leave it, it can cost you your tooth in the long run and a much more complicated treatment.

I don't have any cavities so can't verify if this actually works. I do brush my teeth with oregano oil. If you want to try be very careful to only put a drop of oregano oil on something and then only slightly dip your tooth brush in it. It is very strong.

Last edited by greensky; 02-13-2005 at 06:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
(female)

LisaBarger HB User

++++++++++++++++++

Last edited by LisaBarger; 07-07-2005 at 11:13 AM.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
(female)

Susannah HB User

I definitely disagree with using flouride. I'm also of the opinion that given enough time, your teeth can fix a cavity, but that's a hard one to prove. I brush my teeth every day with a toothpaste that has tea tree oil in it in the morning and a toothpaste that has Xylitol in it at night. Neither contain flouride. I also use a hard toothbrush. I was told my receding gums were because of "brushing too hard and using a hard brush" a long time ago before I started using these toothpastes. That must have not been the case, because when I started with the tea tree toothpaste (used to use just that, added the Xylitol toothpaste a few months ago), my gums grew back. All of the slight cavities I have (2 of them, the dentist I last saw said there was no need to do anything to them at that point) have gotten no worse, and I think some have gotten better (even though this is a hard thing to prove). I think the key is just making sure to keep all the bad things out of your mouth, bacteria AND fungus. The tea tree oil seems to do the trick, and the Xylitol seems to do it, too.

Old 02-23-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
(female)

Saybrook HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susannah
I definitely disagree with using flouride. I'm also of the opinion that given enough time, your teeth can fix a cavity, but that's a hard one to prove. I brush my teeth every day with a toothpaste that has tea tree oil in it in the morning and a toothpaste that has Xylitol in it at night. Neither contain flouride. I also use a hard toothbrush. I was told my receding gums were because of "brushing too hard and using a hard brush" a long time ago before I started using these toothpastes. That must have not been the case, because when I started with the tea tree toothpaste (used to use just that, added the Xylitol toothpaste a few months ago), my gums grew back. All of the slight cavities I have (2 of them, the dentist I last saw said there was no need to do anything to them at that point) have gotten no worse, and I think some have gotten better (even though this is a hard thing to prove). I think the key is just making sure to keep all the bad things out of your mouth, bacteria AND fungus. The tea tree oil seems to do the trick, and the Xylitol seems to do it, too.

What is Xylitol? Where can I get it? I'd like to give it a try. I too have receeding gums and hen I get my teeth scaled, it's painful.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
(female)

Susannah HB User

I got the Xylitol toothpaste at Whole Foods, the brand name is called Spry. If you go to their health and beauty section and ask whomever is working that section to show you where the Spry toothpaste is, I bet they'll know. They've always got very knowledgeable people working. You can also buy it online (just do a ****** search).

I recommend the tea tree oil toothpaste even above the Xylitol, that's what took care of my receding gum lines about 2 years ago, and they haven't come back. I recently just added the Xylitol toothpaste because I had been reading really good things about it. The tea tree toothpaste I used is made by Dessert Essence and you can get it at The Vitamin Shoppe, either in one of their stores or online.

Old 02-24-2005, 10:55 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Ok, I've read that teeth are basically bone. But heres an interesting question, since fractured bones can grow back together, why can't enameled bone of a tooth....man, we need a dentist here to explain!

Old 02-24-2005, 11:07 AM   #8
(female)

Susannah HB User

Jennita,

That's my point. I really don't see why they couldn't. I mean, we don't have lymph or blood, but there is basically marrow, right, and a root? So, I don't see why it couldn't get better. The slight cavities I had when I went to the dentist last (years ago, maybe 4 years?) seem to have gotten much better. They don't hurt anymore ever, and I can't see them like I used to be able to, so I don't know, but I do know some of the teeth I've had "fixed" bother me a lot more than the ones I've just left alone!

Old 02-24-2005, 11:15 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Jennita,

That's my point. I really don't see why they couldn't. I mean, we don't have lymph or blood, but there is basically marrow, right, and a root? So, I don't see why it couldn't get better. The slight cavities I had when I went to the dentist last (years ago, maybe 4 years?) seem to have gotten much better. They don't hurt anymore ever, and I can't see them like I used to be able to, so I don't know, but I do know some of the teeth I've had "fixed" bother me a lot more than the ones I've just left alone!
Yeah, my very back tooth got a chip and the dentist put a crown....it's always been trouble ever since!

I also waited 10 years after a wisdom tooth had a small cavity to get it filled, now I'm wondering if I should have because the dentist said it wasn't very deep when he filled it....after 10 years? Perhaps at least this proves we can prevent decay from getting worse at least with some proper care?

But what amazes me is the results you have had....surely by now if those toothpastes did nothing, you'd have deep cavities, near the root with alot of pain!

Thanks for the recommendations here, I will be looking for those toothpastes!!!

Old 03-11-2005, 01:19 PM   #10
(female)

white dove HB User

Only the extreme outer layer of tooth enamel is repaired by minerals in saliva and by fluoride. That process is called remineralization. If the cavity isn't microscopic, it needs a dentist.

Singer, I remember your legitimate concerns about germs in dental offices. Please don't let that interfere with getting care. Since I share your concerns, here's what I've done: During and after procedures, rinse with CHLORHEXIDINE Gluconate. Every dental office has it to sterilize the mouth. (It's good practice to have patients use it before work starts, to reduce spread of germs.) Then I wash my face as soon as I can.

By the way, without adequate saliva to remineralize teeth, decay can progress horrifyingly fast. De-mineralization is caused all the time by plaque acids and acidic foods, like soft drinks. When you're not eating, saliva can repair teeth, SO LONG AS decay has NOT penetrated beyond the extreme outer enamel layer. Hope you get the care you need, and that this helps.

Old 03-11-2005, 04:53 PM   #11
(male)

The Len HB User

You already know about brushing and flossing but HOW MUCH do you know about brushing and flossing? You do realize the ideal is to brush right after you eat every meal right? And floss once at night before bed? Then gargle with Listerine. Also drinking a lot of green tea throughout the day fights cavities. No sugar, sweetner, honey. Just plain 'ol green tea. Eating cherries also help your teeth cause they contain flouride in em.

Old 03-18-2005, 08:21 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

SophiaM HB User

Quote:
I got the Xylitol toothpaste at Whole Foods, the brand name is called Spry. If you go to their health and beauty section and ask whomever is working that section to show you where the Spry toothpaste is, I bet they'll know. They've always got very knowledgeable people working. You can also buy it online (just do a ****** search).

I recommend the tea tree oil toothpaste even above the Xylitol, that's what took care of my receding gum lines about 2 years ago, and they haven't come back. I recently just added the Xylitol toothpaste because I had been reading really good things about it. The tea tree toothpaste I used is made by Dessert Essence and you can get it at The Vitamin Shoppe, either in one of their stores or online.
Hi, I am just curious. Did the Tea Tree toothpaste prevent your gum line from receding further, or did it actually help regenerate the gums? That would be awesome. How long did you have to use it to notice any improvement? I have slightly receding gum line, and my dentist said the same thing as yours, that I must be brushing too hard or use a hard brush (neither of which is true). He also said that gums don't ever get restored and the only thing you can do is to stop them from receding further. Is that true?

Also, which one of the toothpastes by Desert Essence did you use? I saw there was one in Wintergreen flavor with neem, and another one was Mint. Which one do you recommend? Thanks!

Last edited by SophiaM; 03-18-2005 at 08:22 AM.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:02 PM   #13
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by singer1
I think I may be getting a cavity, not sure as it is one of my front teeth, but if it is, is there anything I can do besides the typical brush and floss so that I don't have to go to a dentist?
Let me tell you, I would do almost ANYTHING to avoid going to a doctor, but I consider dentists more like holistic practitioners. Think about it - they practice preventive medicine, and if that doesn't work, they fix the problem in one or two visits. You don't have to take expensive medication - all you have to do is take care of your teeth. Please see a dentist. A slight cavity can turn into so much worse if you leave it.

HOWEVER, to keep the bacteria count down until you do see one, you can gargle with very mild, warm salt water every day. Some people use a solution of salt and hydrogen peroxide, but I don't know how strong they make it. I would guess very weak.

Last edited by kerry1; 03-20-2005 at 02:04 PM.

Old 04-15-2005, 10:52 PM   #14

Krayzie_Bone HB User

How long does it take for xylitol to really make an effect? For anyone that has used xylitol whether in toothpastes or chewing gum,etc., do u know how fast or the length of time it took to make your cavities get smaller or gone? Becuz I've heard lots of good things about it, that for some people their cavities were even healed completely.

Old 04-25-2005, 02:01 PM   #15
(female)

Susannah HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophiaM
Hi, I am just curious. Did the Tea Tree toothpaste prevent your gum line from receding further, or did it actually help regenerate the gums? That would be awesome. How long did you have to use it to notice any improvement? I have slightly receding gum line, and my dentist said the same thing as yours, that I must be brushing too hard or use a hard brush (neither of which is true). He also said that gums don't ever get restored and the only thing you can do is to stop them from receding further. Is that true?

Also, which one of the toothpastes by Desert Essence did you use? I saw there was one in Wintergreen flavor with neem, and another one was Mint. Which one do you recommend? Thanks!
A little bit after I started using the tea tree toothpaste, the gumline above my two upper front teeth came back. All of my gums became a lighter pink, they were dark pink and red in places. I never have bleeding when brushing anymore. However, I have a couple of teeth on the bottom (the fourth ones back, the ones that are pointy and thick like molars, right before the molars) where the gumline only came back a little, they are still somewhat receded, but they have gotten no worse. So, it might be true that if the gum is gone for too long you can't restore it. But, I know for sure that they can at least sometimes be restored, because of my two upper front teeth (the ones I was most worried about anyway, because of cosmetic reasons).

I can't stand Wintergreen, but Neem sounds like it would be good to have in addition to the tea tree. I like the mint, but don't expect anything too sweet, it's not that sweet (which I actually like). My husband likes the fennel, but I can't stand the licorice taste of fennel. There's a ginger that's pretty good, but once again, it's not that sweet. If you want to try Xylitol toothpaste also, which I think is great, too (I use tea tree in the morning now, Xylitol at night), Tom's of Maine makes a toothpaste with Xylitol in it which is apricot flavored, and I think that is just great. It tastes really good.

Closed Thread