It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 02:12 PM   #1

sidnee74 HB User
Fluoride?

I am posting this on this board because you all are knowledgeable about health issues and solutions that fall outside of the "mainstream".

I would like to hear any views/facts on fluoride, its safety, and its usefulness for preventing cavities.

Thanks!
Sidnee

Old 03-03-2005, 03:54 AM   #2
(female)

pheobe13 HB User
Re: Fluoride?

Hi,

An 'alternative' thinking person I know told me that the goverments are dumbing down the public by poisoning them with fluoride, which is in essence rat poison. I still don't think that's neccessarily true about the government, and didn't believe him at the time but here is what I found:

There are conflicting views as to whether Fluoride actually helps the teeth, also whether it is safe.

Fluoride is indeed the chief ingredient of rat poison, but it is in our water in only very small amounts.

It has been found to reduce intelligence in animals.

Tests have shown so far that the flouride in water would not neccessarily cause any problems in later life. And claim it is safe. But who has done these tests, and are they biased?

Don't take what I say literally, that is just stuff I found on the internet, and we all know that a lot of rubbish circulates the internet.
Have a look yourself on a search engine and see what you think...

I am of the view that maybe not enough research has been done long-term on flouride. It doesn't appear to be too dangerous, and the health benefits may indeed outweigh the risks. But at the same time, if I ever have kids I think I'll be buying them bottled spring water. (Which I know also contains a little flouride.)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-03-2005, 06:08 AM   #3

sidnee74 HB User

Thanks for the info. I have done some internet searching, but like you said, there is so much out there, who knows what is true and what isn't.

We drink distilled water. As I understand it, the fluoride is removed during the distillation process. So my kids ingest little, but they do get it in their toothpaste. My 5yo just had her first cavity, and I was considering getting a fluoride rinse for the kids, but was concerned as I have heard it may not be safe. I guess the problem comes with the ingestion, so theoretically, if they don't swallow the rinse or toothpaste, it shouldn't be a problem.

I've heard that, too, about the government and fluoride. Sounds a little out there, but who knows?

Thanks again,
Sid

Old 03-03-2005, 11:14 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

I don't have the answers, either, but here's another tidbit that is distressing...
Fluoride was the first anti-thyroid medicine... used to restrain hyperactive glands... And it was prescribed in smaller doses than city water supplies contain today.
Now... It's true that the national obesity epidemic has many, many causes... but who's to say that fluoridated water isn't at least contributing to it by inhibiting metabolism?

I believe those who say that fluoride has only a limited ability to prevent decay in primary ("baby") teeth only... and that it does nothing for adult's secondary teeth. (a fact that my own dentist told me years ago.) Since primary teeth are shed after only a few years, and proper hygiene will prevent those cavities anyway... why must we all be poisoned with the stuff?
I don't see a government "plot" per se, but instead - government gullibility and neglect for believing the propaganda in the first place.

Old 03-25-2005, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

All I know is that I grew up in a town that did NOT add floride to the water and now I have a ton of cavities (as well as my siblings, while my parents do not have an abnormal amount). All of my back teeth have fillings, two of them on the top and on the side! I even have one in between my front teeth that resulted from a chip caused by a fall. With all the reports about the mercury in fillings being dangerous, you have to ask yourself, what is the greater risk to your children's health? Personally, if it were my kid, I'd have them use a flouride rinse nightly.

Old 03-27-2005, 03:12 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Well, many dentist offices have composite fillings that can be used for cavities instead of amalgams(silver fillings). Some dentists don't use amalgams at all, so then you don't have to worry about the Mercury that is in the amalgams. Is there any conclusive evidence that fluroide in tap water helps to prevent cavities? Since fluroide is added to many of the toothpastes, why is the fluroide needed in the tap water also? Personally, I don't drink my tap water at all, cause there's a good chance that it's not healthy to do so. I'm probably going to start using a toothpaste without fluoride cause I don't like the idea of putting a toxin into my mouth. I don't understand why the companies can't make toothpaste that doesn't need a poison control center warning on the back of it.

Old 03-28-2005, 03:41 AM   #7
(female)

pheobe13 HB User

Yup,
The world is completely screwed. No-one cares about public health. The people in power are usually there because they are greedy, power-hungry delusional idiots. (This applies to most countries and cultures.) Everything revolves around the economy, because we are all so greedy we can't give up the lifestyle we are so used to. Americans especially (sorry, it's a fact, the English aren't guilt-free either) are so wasteful that if the whole world acted like them we would need three planets to keep it sustained. What's with the idiot Bush not signing up for helping to save the environment? BECAUSE NO-BODY CARES!!! Well not enough people. The people who do usually spend too much time talking about it and never do anything to help. Like me!

Sorry, got carried away there, but the fact is, don't expect the government to decide what's best for your children, because no doubt their decision will revolve around money. Make up your own mind.

Closed Thread