It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 11:14 PM   #1
(male)

Tupelo HB User
how do i repair the damage from alcohol abuse?

I have recently given up alcohol and would like to repair some of the damage I've done to my body. I've been getting drunk a couple times a week since I was 17, I am now 25 and really sick of it! Does anyone have some good advice on what to take to help my body recover? what not to take?

Old 03-06-2005, 02:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Tesss HB User
Re: how do i repair the damage from alcohol abuse?

Take a supplement of milk thistle which helps the liver. Id also suggest a good multivitamin, eat healthily, do lots of moderate exercise, general good healthy living. And drink loads of water.
Hope that helps.

Tesss

Last edited by Tesss; 03-06-2005 at 02:02 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2005, 11:31 AM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

If you really want to seriously work on repairing your liver, gallbladder, kidneys, and the other vital organs that alcohol damage I would go on a liver cleanse for a few days. It really works- the liver is an amazing organs which will repair itself over time, but you also need to help it as well. There are several different types of liver cleanses, look up some on this site- check the posts - or go-on-line and look them up.
But be diligent about it. What may seem like a lot of work when fasting think about it being only a few days of your life which will pass quickly compared to years of illness. Many peple lack the discipline to cleanse, but you seem like someone who can do it, since you already have exhibited disciplineby giving up alcohol. That is a major accomplishment- congratulations! Are you in a 12 step program?

Old 03-06-2005, 02:34 PM   #4
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

I agree that you should do a liver cleanse. Plus a colon cleanse. Take a good B-complex vitamin (on a full stomach), since alcohol depletes B vitamins. B vits also calm your nerves. Try drinking kefir (a yogurt-like beverage) to restore probiotics to your intestines. It's much better than yogurt at restoring beneficial bacteria - and drink it plain, not that sweetened stuff!! You'll get used to the taste.

Eating healthy, organic food is important. I know a guy who was a drunk for most of his life, but he ate vegetarian. He thinks it kept him well in spite of the odds. He's not a drunk anymore, and he's still doing well.

I would eat all organic food, including meat, fruits and vegetables. Don't eat anything processed. AVOID SUGAR - it breaks down into alcohol in your system. Don't drink milk and try to avoid cheese. In other words, feed your body highly digestible food that will provide optimum nutrition and minimal digestive problems (and toxins). You will probably be flushing toxins out of your body for months or even years. You will need to choose your own pace, depending on how much "detoxification" you can handle.

I'm glad you asked this question, because so many people think kicking alcoholism is just a matter of willpower. I disagree with them - once your body is in balance, it will be easier to ignore that craving.

Old 03-07-2005, 02:30 AM   #5
(female)

Saybrook HB User

Hi Kerry1. You suggest a colon cleanse. Are there any that you would reccommend? There are so many on the net and at the store that I don't know which are good.
Thanks

Old 03-07-2005, 06:15 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Tupelo, At 25, your body is still young and resilient. I agree with what has been posted, except I would start more basically before doing any cleansing. The main things being to change eating habits, as necessary, to plenty of veggies and fruits, healthy fats, cutting out refined, processed foods (and of course fast foods) as much as possible. This will get your body started cleansing and be strengthening it as well.

Good luck! And don't sweat it. If you are turning your habits around at 25, you are going to be WAY ahead of most people who eat a standard American diet up to their 40 or beyond when it finally catches up with them.

Old 03-08-2005, 04:58 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Dandleon coffee is great also for liver damage.

Last edited by moderator2; 03-22-2005 at 12:57 PM.

Old 03-13-2005, 11:39 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Jennita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tupelo
I have recently given up alcohol and would like to repair some of the damage I've done to my body. I've been getting drunk a couple times a week since I was 17, I am now 25 and really sick of it! Does anyone have some good advice on what to take to help my body recover? what not to take?
Hey, just giving up the alcohol is a great step towards regaining your health. I never did like to drink(yeah, I'm the party pooper) but at 48 years old, some people cannot believe that I don't have obvious wrinkles and have good muscles for a woman my age. I highly recommend resistance training with some cardio to round it out at least 4 times a week; also, the diet/supplement tips everyone else gave here are excellent.

You've also got a great advantage....you are still young....good for you making such an important decision at your age...you won't regret it!

Old 03-22-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

congrats on giving up the alcohol!
milk thistle is a good liver support
also eat lots of veggies
take a food based multi
stay away from sugary and fried foods

Old 04-07-2005, 07:07 AM   #10
(female)

Carena HB User

For brain restoration, there is such thing called "Nootropil/Piracetam", its sold in Russia where I am right now in any pharmacy, however its hard to come accross in US. And as for body, I heard GHB (GBL) in small dosages should be very benefitial. See info on erowid.org

Old 04-10-2005, 03:19 PM   #11
(female)

Megan Eliza HB User

I highly recommend taking Evening Primrose Oil as a supplement, which is good for the liver, getting rid of toxins... and also good for women's health in general.

I wish you good health!

megan

Closed Thread