It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 02:38 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Organic foods and products?

I was wondering what people's opinions are on organic foods such as fruits and vegetables, and also organic products such as deodorants, soap, shampoos, etc? Do you think it would be real beneficial for my health to buy mostly organic foods and products? I hear of how the chemicals(aluminum) in things such as non-organic deodorants can be real harmful. And also how the preservitives, additives, MSG, and other things in most foods at regular grocery stores can be very unhealthy.

Old 03-15-2005, 03:01 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: Organic foods and products?

i don't bother with organic fruit or veg really. the jury's out on whether organic fruit and veg has higher levels of nutrients in it or not and they aint come back yet to give a DEFINITIVE verdict. as for pesticides and whatnot. i'd say you can just wash the stuff off (i dunno, is that too simplistic?).
in regards to meat, eggs and milk, i am a big fan of organic produce. non-organic animal products contain hormones and anti-biotics which are given to the animals during their lifetime. what these hormones are i dunno, so i don't really like the idea of putting them in my body! and the anti-biotics can cause anti-biotics you take to not work as effectively.
as for shampoos and stuff, well, all i know is that are a high percentage of everything you put on your skin is absorbed by it. this means you are absorbing chemicals into your system if you use chemical laden soaps, shampoos, cosmetics, etc. these can toxify your system. also, the chemical laden products aren't a good idea for those with sensitive skins, as they can aggrevate these condition. organic products are chemical free, meaning no toxicity or aggrevation. for example, the olive oil soap i use only has three ingredients: olive oil, mineral salts and water.
so i'd say not sure if its worth it for fruit and veg but defo feed for animal products and cosmetics. feed out.

alex.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 04:02 PM   #3
(male)

greensky HB User

I mostly go for organic all round when I can get good quality items. Sometimes the organic vegetables and fruit aren’t fresh and I will take ordinary without being concerned about it. I don't think you can just wash the stuff of though. Wouldn’t it just wash of in the rain then? I know they treat citrus fruit with some type of wax to make them last longer, so I never use the skin from non organic citrus fruits.

I will buy organic milk, eggs, chicken and meat when available. Both for health reasons and for the better taste. I avoid all pre-prepared and factory produced foods. I don’t think they have much to do with food and what we need. They might appeal to our tastes with high contents of fat, salt, sugar and flavourings etc. But when you get used to eating home made foods with out all the additives a lot of the factory foods just don’t taste good anymore.

I also use organic cleaning products with few ingredients in them. Just look at the list of contents in e.g. an ordinary shampoo. What is al that stuff in it and is it really needed?

I think for health benefits it is a long hall and a life style change. Changing to organic won’t cure you of all your ills overnight, if at all. But I do think there are health benefits to gain from going organic.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:53 PM   #4
(female)

Yavie HB User

It's definitely worth it to switch to organic foods (canned, boxed, fruits/veg, meats, dairy, etc) because it is better for you AND the stuff just tastes better, too. That includes the fruits/veg, although I'm not strict on those they do taste better imo.

I also use natural and non-animal tested household and 'beauty' products (shower stuff, makeup, lotions yadda yadda.) As Alex/ratboy said, you absorb stuff into your skin very easily and if that stuff is non-organic, lab-created stuff well... *shudder*

So if you have a good store for organic/natural foods, use it. If you're like me and the store is a ways away, then make a trip whenever you can and stock up on the things that are really important to you. Organic/natural household and beauty products are somewhat easier to find these days than the foods so you should be fine there.

GL!

- Yav

Old 03-24-2005, 02:21 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

Thanks for the replies. By the way, the symptoms I've been suffering with since November of 2003 have been severe exhaustion/fatigue 24/7, major short-term memory loss, and low concentration. The doctors can't seem to find what's wrong with me. So I thought that it would be a good idea to start eating healthier and having an overall healthier lifestyle, and see if that helps my symptoms. I found out that there is a wholefoods store less than a half hour from my house. So I'm going to definitely check that out real soon and pick up some things.

I don't have a filter on my kitchen faucet. I don't drink the water, but I use it to wash my hands, wash dishes, etc. Do you think I should get a filter for my faucet to wash my hands with, and also to wash fruits and vegetables off with? Does ayone here use a shower filter? Since the chemicals from the tap water can get absorbed into your skin, and also since you can breathe in the chemicals especially when taking a hot shower.

Does anyone here use organic toothpaste? I'm thinking about getting it, but I was concerned with the protection that I would get from cavities, since the kind I was thinking about getting doesn't have fluroide in it. I heard a lot of bad things about fluoride. Does toothpaste without flouride still have good protection against cavities though?

Also, concerning a person's pH level, I heard that it's most likley that you won't get an illness or a disease if your pH level is alkaline. I was wondering if that is true or not? I was thinking about getting pH strips to test my pH level. I think that my pH is very likely to be too acidic.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:42 PM   #6
(female)

runnergirl HB User

I don't feel organic foods are better.

For one, a lot of organic fields are placed right next to conventional fields - viola! When the wind blows, pesticides are blown right on the organic crops - the end result? You pay more for fruits and vegetables that are not much different than convetional foods.

Secondly, organic foods do not contain more nutrients than conventional foods. In fact, many organic foods are actually inferior in nutrients. For example, pesticides used in conventional farming protect the item from the damage of UV-lighting in supermarkets. Especially the light-sensitive water soluble vitamins B and C and fat-soluble vitamin D. Bottomline: want more nutrients? But the conventional foods and wash them very well. Actually, wash the organic foods even more diligently, since they are grown in manure in many places, and without direct contact with pesticides, many bugs like to make their home in the organic foods.

Last edited by runnergirl; 03-24-2005 at 03:25 PM.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Organic is the way to go.Grow it yourself, etc, just go organic. There's no need to ingest more toxins than we already do (air we breathe, etc).
Upshutter

Old 03-27-2005, 09:58 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
Thanks for the replies. By the way, the symptoms I've been suffering with since November of 2003 have been severe exhaustion/fatigue 24/7, major short-term memory loss, and low concentration. The doctors can't seem to find what's wrong with me. So I thought that it would be a good idea to start eating healthier and having an overall healthier lifestyle, and see if that helps my symptoms. I found out that there is a wholefoods store less than a half hour from my house. So I'm going to definitely check that out real soon and pick up some things.

I don't have a filter on my kitchen faucet. I don't drink the water, but I use it to wash my hands, wash dishes, etc. Do you think I should get a filter for my faucet to wash my hands with, and also to wash fruits and vegetables off with? Does ayone here use a shower filter? Since the chemicals from the tap water can get absorbed into your skin, and also since you can breathe in the chemicals especially when taking a hot shower.

Does anyone here use organic toothpaste? I'm thinking about getting it, but I was concerned with the protection that I would get from cavities, since the kind I was thinking about getting doesn't have fluroide in it. I heard a lot of bad things about fluoride. Does toothpaste without flouride still have good protection against cavities though?

Also, concerning a person's pH level, I heard that it's most likley that you won't get an illness or a disease if your pH level is alkaline. I was wondering if that is true or not? I was thinking about getting pH strips to test my pH level. I think that my pH is very likely to be too acidic.
You're definitely on the right track. There are many studies showing the effects of "pesticides" in our foods/water/air, etc. The chemical companies rule this planet. We've been using organic for many years.

The other night my husband forgot his organic toothpaste while traveling; used the hotel's, and ended up in the hospital with a major allergic reaction to "something" in the toothpaste. Just never know.........of course not everyone is "that" sensitive.

We just air filters throughout our home; no chemicals to clean with; buy most everything from Whole Foods which is an "all organic" store. More & more stores are adding organics. Think that tells us something.

We have a wholehouse water filter, so we can drink our water, bath/shower in filtered water. When traveling the chlorine really gets to us.

It's been a long turn-around journey for us, but once you've tasted organic foods, you won't go back to the no-taste of most others.

Even our dog eats Paul Newman's Organic food; only one he can tolerate.

Good luck in your new venture!!................carole

Old 03-28-2005, 01:09 PM   #9

DTemple HB User

concerned male, for your symptoms I would check for information on Candida overgrowth and/or lyme disease. Information from two books might be helpful - The Yeast Connection by Dr. Crook and Beating Lyme Disease..by Dr. Jernigan. Your local health food store will have printed booklets with lots of information as well.

Old 04-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #10
(female)

cinnamongirl_9 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Organic foods and products?

I started with organic meat for the reasons previously mentioned- antibiotics and growth hormones. What made me go for organic produce was learning about the sewer sludge used to feed conventionally grown crops.

Carcinogenic pesticides sprayed on fruit and veggies are bad enough- and I don't think you can ever wash that stuff off completely. But the plants are actually dowsed with the stuff from our sewers. As fertilizer? Not sure why.

I guess if it were just human excrement being absorbed by the food you plan on eating, it wouldn't be that terrible. However, the plants roots take in EVERYTHING from the sewer system: the antibiotics, heart medication, and Ritalin some poor souls were taking before they went to the bathroom; the toxic cleaning products people use to wash their dishes, do their laundry, and clean their showers; ammonia from hair dye; the scary ingredients in Liquid Plumb'r; and anything else you can think of that goes down the drain. That's what you eat!!

That fact alone totally grossed me out. I don't need all that stuff in my body. I come in contact with enough carcinogens just by breathing the air and going to work everyday.

Old 04-04-2005, 07:49 PM   #11
(female)

Sonflower1116 HB User

You can safely wash veggies, poultry, meat, eggs and fruit in a Clorox bath. Use 1 teaspoon of plain Clorox bleach with 1 gallon of filtered water. Soak leafy veggies for 15 min, root, thick-skinned or fibrous veggies for 30 min, fruits and berries for 30 min, poultry fish, meat (not ground beef) and eggs for 20 min. Follow with a clear water soak for 10 minutes, then rinse and dry foods thoroughly and store. I do this all the time. The produce lasts longer and tastes so much better. Celery, bok choy and strawberries are especially high in pesticides.

The active ingredient in Clorox, sodium hypochloride, breaks down into salt and water. The Clorox bath has been around for decades and is completely safe. You can also use apple cider vinegar but it is not as effective.

Last edited by Sonflower1116; 04-04-2005 at 07:52 PM.

Closed Thread