It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 07:07 PM   #1
(female)

Shakespeare HB User
Question New Here..Help for Constipation Needed Badly

Hi Everyone!

I am new to the Alternative Medecine Board but not new to the idea of using organics whenever I can.

I have a pretty bad back injury that has left me in cronic pain for the last five years. Because of this I take a lot of different medications to control everything from muscle spasms, nerve damage pain and just good old fashioned pain.

My newest medication, coupled with all the others has left me with severe and painful constipation. I cannot take the regular kind of laxatives as they cause me more stomach pain and do not work well with my meds.

I feel I am doing enough damage to my body by putting all the medicines in it so I would really like to find an alternative to laxatives that will work all the time and will not hurt me further.

I am already a fan of green tea and will be in a position to make some drastic diet changes very soon.

Anyone with any ideas on wnat I can use to relieve this problem? My Doctor told me to eat apples every day along with a high fibre cereal. I already do this faithfully but the problem is getting worse, not better. I also drink LOTS of water already because my new med dries me out a lot.

This thing is getting serious, because of all the straining I am beginning to get fissures and hemerhoids. I never had these even with both of my children! So you can understand why I REALLY need help.

I know I will be asking a lot more questions in the future because like I said earlier in the post I will be changing my diet and life soon. My impending divorce from someone who thinks alternative medicine is a bunch of junk will make it easier to persue the type of healthy lifestyle I have always wanted. Please be assured that my wanting to look into alternative remedies is NOT the reason for my divorce.

Well I think I have rambled enough. Anny suggestions will be taken seriously.

The Bard of Ohio

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 07:37 PM   #2

DebraL HB User
Re: New Here..Help for Constipation Needed Badly

There is a powdered magnesium product that is very good. My brother takes noni fruit capsules and aloe vera and swears by that.

Old 03-15-2005, 07:48 PM   #3

jazzyE HB User

If you want to start taking a more natural approach, I would suggest finding a naturopathic doctor in your area. Not just a therapist, but an actual doctor so they're trained in both the regular scientific medical field as well as the alternative field. Because you're on so many medications, you really need to consult with someone who knows both sides. If you try to get treatment on your own, you might aggravate something by taking the wrong thing.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:55 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

A shot of expresso might loosen you up!!

Old 03-16-2005, 08:57 PM   #5
(male)

Frank186 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GailC
Dear Bard and fellow Ohioan,

Apples, pears and bananas are binding - they will tend to make you constipated unless they are cooked. High fiber cereal is good if it is not overly processed. If you are using oatmeal, be sure that you are using the old fashioned oats not the quick or instant ones.
Best of Health
What's the difference between whole oats and instant for constipation?

Old 03-19-2005, 11:46 AM   #6
(female)

Shakespeare HB User

Thanks for the info. I only like the old fashioned kind of oatmeal beacuse the instant just doesn't taste right.

I am surprised about the apples though. My doc was the one who told me to eat one everyday but he is also the guy that won't change my med that is causing this problem, so go figure.

I will check out the Waiora and the noni fruit capsules too.

Thanks again
Bard of Ohio

Old 03-21-2005, 12:26 PM   #7

DTemple HB User

I either use Dr. Schulze Intestinal Therapy #1 capsules which work very well, or Pao d'Arco tea. But I suggest you check with an alternative medicine doctor who will know if any of these interferes or reacts with your current medications. Good luck.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:07 PM   #8
(female)

clarity_rose HB User

i also have a chronic back injury and am forced to take a variety of narcotics, muscle relaxers, and anti-spasm drugs. i have studied Ayeurvedic medicine and tried a variety of different alternatives to laxatives as fiber and dietary changes alone didn't help. i found TRIPHALA, which is a fairly common remedy in Ayeurvedic circles. it can be ordered online or found at your local organic health food store in the "digestive" vitamin/herb section. taken daily, it allows for regular elimination. for you, it might take a little time, however once it begins to work the difference will be tremendous. it doesn't have any side effects, doesn't irritate the stomach, and doesn't interact with any of my medications. good luck!

Last edited by clarity_rose; 03-22-2005 at 01:07 PM.

Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 PM   #9
(female)

healthnut76 HB User

what about aloe vera juice?

Old 03-23-2005, 01:45 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NodiGoiterGirl HB User

I had horrible constipation most of my life until I developed a tumor on my ovary, then I got the "D" problem. Well, now that my tumor is gone I have the old constipation back again. Got terribly bound up the week after being home from the hospital so my aunt bought me some plumsmart juice. It is made by sunsweet and it tastes better than prune juice. It takes about a 6 oz glass and I go everyday regularly. If I run out then I don't go, it's that simple.
It is available in most grocery stores now.
Good Luck,
Nodi

Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM   #11
(female)

runnergirl HB User

I would suggest eating prunes or drinking prune juice as well.

Last edited by runnergirl; 03-24-2005 at 04:29 PM.

Old 03-24-2005, 04:23 PM   #12
(male)

Bayou316 HB User

Let me give you what I take. Ask your doctor to prescribe Zelnorm. Then go to Wal-Mart and buy you some Mineral Oil and some Peach Juice. The juice comes in a plastic bottle. Take your Zelnorm and twice a day...morning and bedtime....take 4 tablespoons of mineral oil mixed with 4 ounces of peach juice.

You may have to cut back on the mineral oil after you start going to the bathroom. So obviously, mix your peach juice to match the mineral oil.

This will work. In fact, go ahead with the mineral oil and peach juice if you want to. You can get the Zelnorm prescription when you need to.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

upshutter17 HB User

Oranges, and tangerines do a fine job....if you want an drastic cathartic try castor oil. You could also try tamarind. RAW smelly garlic propels the bowels like no other. Aloe is also another drastic cathartic. Cascara Sagrada or Turkey Rhubarb is awesome for constipation.... if you get gas ginger will do the trick. Follow a food lifestyle of fresh veggies (SPINACH!!!!). Prune juice is another great idea. Good luck.
Upshutter

Old 03-28-2005, 06:32 PM   #14

Chickodee48 HB User

I can totally relate to constipation! I have been plagued with it nearly my entire 52 years now! I was using laxatives untill my daughter got pregnant last year and her doctor told her to eat a nice sized bowl of Mini wheats each day. Thats what I do now and believe me, I havent been troubled with that horrid problem since! I DO know first hand what a bag of cashews will do for you as well!!!!!!!!!!! My mother used to make me take Mineral oil as a child and it never helped me...I know that Castor Oil however will deffinately clean you out!

Old 04-10-2005, 07:32 PM   #15
(female)

sarah2005 HB User

Psyllium husks...

Put a few tablespoons in a glass of juice or water and drink that a few times a day.

Closed Thread