It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2005, 08:58 AM   #1
(female)

Carena HB User
Help

I have such terribly high appetite, its totally abnormal. Are there any herbs that can help with that? I just need something that would suppress it to a “normality”. I don’t know the reason to it being so high, maybe my acidity is high or I don’t know but if there’s anything you can think of please tell me.

I know that there is such thing as “emotional-overeating”, some people find it to be a way to deal with stress and stuff. And I think probably thats how it started- at some point I was under a lot of stress and I was eating more than usual. Now the stress is gone. But I think that since for that time being I was eating all the time, my body could have got used so used to it that it readjusted to that amount of food intake maybe or something like that, or my stomach got stretched. What do you think? Of course I could be entirely wrong.

I gained some weight during that period. Before that I had no extra fat at all. Now its still within the limit according to the established health guidelines and all. So basically I’m not looking for something that boosts metabolism/burns fat, I just need to take care of my appetite. I am going to check with the doctor/dietitian eventually but its not gonna happen in the next two months for sure. And this appetite is driving me crazy, I need some temporary solution now. Please help.

Old 04-05-2005, 06:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User
Re: Help

This may not help at all, but since you have no other responses yet, I'll take a stab at it.
If you eat a lot of "white" carbs... white flour products and sugar... they can fuel the appetite, making you crave more and more of them. Because they spike the blood sugar and let it rapidly fall again, they set up a vicious cycle where you constantly eat in an attempt to keep the blood sugar even.

If you don't eat breakfast, your brain thinks your body is being starved, so it may be increasing your appetite in an attempt to stop it. If you eat a small whole grain breakfast - oats in some form are great! - you may not be as famished when lunch rolls around.... and it even could carry over to the evening hours as well.

Eating small portions of food - 100 or 200 calories at a time - every couple of hours can help you feel more consistently satisfied. This works for some people much better than waiting 4 hours or more between bigger meals. Make those calories count nutritiously, though. A piece of fruit, a cup of yogurt... You get the idea. I realize not everyone can nosh constantly during the day like this, but the goal is to keep blood sugar even and not let your brain demand food of you.

I wish I knew of a natural appetite suppressant. Sorry I couldn't help that way.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2005, 11:11 PM   #3
(female)

oeee HB User

Green tea extract...or just green tea...it will kill your appetite.

Old 04-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #4
(female)

Carena HB User

Thanks for replies. Unfortunately green tea doesn't do anything for my appetite. I drink it every day (for years), its my fav. tea.

Closed Thread