HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Alternative Medicine (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/)
-   -   Natural Antibiotic for Young Child? (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/alternative-medicine/271647-natural-antibiotic-young-child.html)

EoR 04-07-2005 11:05 AM

Natural Antibiotic for Young Child?

Hi. :wave: I have an almost 2 year old son that seems to get a lot of bacterial infections. In fact, he gets them so much that his pediatrician prescribed him 3 months worth of chewable amoxicillin! First, I think that's a ridiculously huge over-precription that's just begging for my son to build an immunity to antibiotics, and second, my son gets horrible diarrhea from the antibiotics, even when supplemented with acidophilus.

I'm wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for a natural antibiotic. I can get him to eat fresh garlic sometimes, but not really enough for it to have the desired effect. Also, I've heard honey can be helpful, but I haven't found that it works. Of course, maybe I'm not buying the right type of honey.

If anyone has had experience with a natural antibiotic (that's also kid friendly) that has worked, I'd be overjoyed to know what it was. :) Or if anyone knows a way to get around the diarrhea when taking prescribed antibiotics, that info would also be very helpful. :)

Also, I'd really appreciate any suggestions for a natural cough remedy.

Thanks!

-EoR

sneezydiva 04-08-2005 07:48 PM

Re: Natural Antibiotic for Young Child?

I would never use this to treat an active infection, I would take a prescribed antibiotic for that. But grapefruit seed extract has antibacterial properties. I've been taking it to PREVENT sinusitis. You can get it in liquid form, and mix it with juice (orange juice works well because both oranges and grapefruit are citris so the tastes blend well).

BTW I would give your son the acidophilus for a while even after stopping the antibiotic. It took me quite a while after a 2 month course of antibiotics to get my stomach in good shape again.

viver 04-08-2005 08:41 PM

[QUOTE=EoR]I'm wondering if anyone might have a recommendation for a natural antibiotic. I can get him to eat fresh garlic sometimes, but not really enough for it to have the desired effect. Also, I've heard honey can be helpful, but I haven't found that it works. Of course, maybe I'm not buying the right type of honey.[/QUOTE]

There's a book written by a few doctors with experience with natural antibiotics. It is called "Beyond Antibiotics" (Subtitled: Healthier Options for Families: 50 (or so) Ways To Boost Immunity and Avoid Antibiotics). I haven't read the book in years, but I remember I liked it when I read it and needed it. You may be able to pick it up at a bookstore. Otherwise, books by Pediatrician Doris Rapp may have good suggestions as well. Sorry I can't give an immediate suggestion. Good luck!

oeee 04-10-2005 10:48 PM

COLLOIDAL SILVER- this stuff is nature's anti-biotic- it can get rid of strep-throat, sinus infections, anything, plus it looks and tastes like water. Look it up on the internet or talk to someone at Whole Foods. This stuff is great and perfectly safe, plus it also kills candida or yeast- so it should help with your son's diarrhea as well.

Oil of Oregano is a powerful natural anti-biotic and anti-fungal as well. However, the oil burns going down...it does come in gelcaps..but considering your son's age, I would go with the colloidal silver. GOOD LUCK!!