It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2005, 07:42 PM   #1
(female)

janedoe321 HB User
Unhappy Mental Focus

Hi. Does anyone know of anything to help with mental focus, memory, concentration help, etc. I feel like I am losing it here lately. I'm not paying attention to what anyone is saying, I'm forgetting things, doing stupid things, etc. I tend to multi-task consistently, but I've always done that so not sure why NOW it's really affecting me. I tend to worry too much also. I've been using Ginko Biloba and just read where B12 helps out. Any other advice would be appreciated. Thank you.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User
Re: Mental Focus

it could be something like hypoglycemea. do you have the urge to have sugary things or have a caffeine/ nicotine fix when you feel like this/ do have the following other symptoms?

- drowsy in the middle of the day
- tired even after 8 hours sleep
- excessive thirst
- excessive sweating
- irritability without regular meals
- mood swings

or it could be anemia (tiredness, inability to concentrate, pallour etc).

maybe get tested if this is a real problem.

if not, consider the following alongside gingko and vit B-12 (incidentally a really good source of this is spirulina):
- firsty make sure you DRINK ENOUGH WATER. dehydration can really affect both mental and physical performance. drink at least 2 litres a day.
- TAKE A B-COMPLEX. needed for energy production and brain function. also its best to take the Bs together as they work synergestically (more effectively together than isolated) and taking a large level of one, ie B-12, over a long period can cause deficiencies in others.
- SIBERIAN GINSENG AND ASTRAGALUS ROOT, 500mg of each after lunch. both will counteract mental fatigue in the afternoon. alternate between the two (one for one month, one for another etc.)
- CUT DOWN ON CAFFEINE. it gives a short term boost but leads to longer term fatigue due to adrenal gland exhaustiuon.
-THE AMINO ACID L-PHENNYLAINE, 500mg between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner. this amino acid can be bought individually. it is converted into the excitory neurotransmitters dopamine, adreanlaine and noradrenaline in the brain associated with mental alertness, energy and motivation. its effect will be comparable to caffeine (caffeine liberates dopamine and stimulates the release of adrenaline) but without the longer term slump. take it between meals and not with other any other protein though to ensure maximum absorption. i'd say that this is the best out of the lot for your problem, if its not being caused by a particular condition.
- BURN ROSEMARY ESSENTAIL OIL in a aromatherapy burner at work or home. it is a cephalic oil (promotes mental clarity, focus and energy).

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2005, 07:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratboy83
it could be something like hypoglycemea. do you have the urge to have sugary things or have a caffeine/ nicotine fix when you feel like this/ do have the following other symptoms?

- drowsy in the middle of the day
- tired even after 8 hours sleep
- excessive thirst
- excessive sweating
- irritability without regular meals
- mood swings

or it could be anemia (tiredness, inability to concentrate, pallour etc).
Besides these conditions, it could be low thyroid... although, the brain fog would likely not be the only symptom.

Don't rule out a good physical exam before trying to treat with herbs and supplements.

Old 04-18-2005, 06:24 PM   #4
(female)

janedoe321 HB User

Thanks for the replies. Ratboy83, I don't really have any of those symptoms you mentioned. I'm not a coffee drinker nor do I smoke. The only caffeine I DO drink regularly is unsweetened tea at work, and that is 5 days a week, one styrofoam cup filled. I am going to switch to water. I don't crave sugary things......I more like crunch! I exercise in the mornings before work. It's just mentally...........I'm now worrying and noticing EVERY SINGLE TIME I FORGET something and it's driving me crazy. I am usually the opposite..............I remember everything. I will try some of your suggestions but I do agree with Midwest that I might need to get a physical just to make sure everything is okay. Thanks again.

Old 04-29-2005, 08:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

veggie girl HB User

As well as supplimentation, make sure you are getting lots of fresh air and lots of MENTAL exercise; such as reading but esp something like learning a musical instrument or even better, learning a foreign language. I started a foreign language program and BOY did my brain get a kick start - it was almost buzzing!! haha

Also, I just started reading a book about memory and one of the things they stress - which I most definately do NOT do - it to be mindful of stuff around you. I find that most of the time I'm so in a zone that theres no wonder I don't remember stuff coz I'm not even really seeing it in the first place. The book says has various exercises for forcing you to be mindful and fully aware of stuff.

You could also be sleeping too much or not enough - that usually makes me dopey (though too much sleep affects me much more than too little)

If its food related you may be eating too few carbs. I was trying to lose a little weight and cut my carbs down and boy was I dopey!! I was in my calculus class and could hardly add fathom the simplest arithmetic!!

Also, on the opposite end of mental exercise there mental relaxation and the need sometimes to kick all thoughts out of your brain, declutter and give the brain a bit of a rest; meditation would work great for this, or self hypnosis.

Though I gotta tell ya, getting the brain working well does require a bit of effort but once you get to a point of clarity it feels really great and its not so much effort any more.

Good luck!!

Last edited by veggie girl; 04-29-2005 at 08:24 PM.

Closed Thread