It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 06:49 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

younggranny HB User
dry eyes and fish oil

Has anyone heard of taking fish oil, flex oil and borage oil as a supplement to help with dry eyes...i thought i had heard that somewhere..

Old 04-30-2005, 07:57 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

littlejmb HB Userlittlejmb HB User
Re: dry eyes and fish oil

Yes, Omega 3 oils are supposed to be good for dry eyes. I have read that Flax Seed Oil especially is supposed to be good for that. I have always had dry eyes, and after having Lasik surgery last year, they were extremely dry. The eye doctor told me to start on the flax oil before the surgery. I honestly don't know if it has helped or not, because mine was so bad, nothing seemed to help. I even got on Restasis for six months. Certainly worth a try though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2005, 03:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi Young Granny, Yes, my opthalmologist told me to use Omega-3 for dry eyes, too.
You may want to check out the eye & vision board, as there's a lot of info on dry eyes over there. I've been using flaxseed oil, but haven't noticed much difference yet. But I work in a dry, dusty office, using a computer all day, which doesn't help, especially if you are a contact wearer, too. Give it a try...it's good for the heart, too!

Old 05-02-2005, 09:17 PM   #4

viver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggranny
Has anyone heard of taking fish oil, flex oil and borage oil as a supplement to help with dry eyes...i thought i had heard that somewhere..
I hadn't heard of that. Here are some other ideas that have helped some (including me in at a job staring at a computer all day):

- Eye washes. One can create an eye wash from cooled eyebright tea or other eye washes described in numerous herbal books. I sometimes use spring water.

- Do eye palming and other general relaxation exercises (like a yoga class).

- Avoid artificial sweeteners as they can cause or worsen eye problems.

- I find speading extra time out in nature -- walking/hiking/swimming helps relax my face and eyes and all of that helps me as far as dry eyes goes.

Old 05-30-2005, 12:56 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Martha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB UserMartha H HB User

I started using fish oil (2 capsules a day) for dry eyes about a year ago, and now go for days without needing my dry eye drops, which I had been using up in great quantities. It has really helped me. At night I use a salve just before going to bed. This is a non prescription dry eye salve .. you squeeze a little into the eyes. It helps wake up without that sandy feeling. Good luck!

Martha

Closed Thread