It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
(male)

irotas HB User
Comparing various cherry extracts

I am a 26 y/o male arthritis sufferer. I recently consulted a dietician about some CAM approaches to treating my arthritis, and she mentioned that cherries have been shown to contain compounds that were powerful anti-inflammatories in lab rats.

So, I started reading all the articles on the subject (I can post links if needed), and have decided that it does seem like an effective and safe alternative to traditional NSAIDs.

So far I have found 3 different supplements:
( - removed - please read and follow the rules for posting websites - )

The packaging on #1 talks about anthocyanidin, but doesn't mention how much is contained in each capsule. Also, it's made from sweet cherries, where all the studies I read referred to tart cherries. My intuition is that this one isn't the best choice.

#2 seems to match up well with the studies. They do use tart cherries (probably Montmorency, but it doesn't say). Also, they guarantee 6.8mg anthocyanin per serving (so 13.6mg/day, within the 12-25mg recommendation by the studies). This one seems like a good choice.

#3 is an interesting one, though. They do explicitly say to use Montmorency tart cherries (a high grade), but provide *much* more anthocyanin than the others. According to ( - removed - please read and follow the rules for posting websites - ) , each capsule contains 128.9mg of anthocyanin. Also, there seems to be a wealth of other important nutrients as well. Note that it doesn't say anywhere (at least not as far as I can tell) how many capsules they recommend to take per day, but I'd be shocked if it was more than 1.

However, I'm skeptical of 2 things here:
1) Is the mega-dose of anthocyanin safe? Anthocyanin is a COX-1 inhibitor, so perhaps the higher dose might do more harm than good.
2) Do the benefits from anthocyanin continue to increase after the 25mg upper-bound recommended in the studies?

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited by moderator2; 06-04-2005 at 08:59 PM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites - use brand names only

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread