It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 01:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
Nervous tension, does Valerian root help? What does?

Has anyone had success using Valerian root as a sleep aide? I use to have insomnia pretty bad, was on Zoloft which caused my insomnia and my sleep isn't perfect but improved and I thought adding Valerian root would help. I also suffer from anxiety, tension and was looking for a remedy to help with that. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I just feel like I can never relax and I need a remedy to help with that, I am not looking for a miracl, only a little help. ha thanks

Old 05-10-2005, 06:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User
Re: Nervous tension, does Valerian root help? What does?

Try 'Calms Forte' they sell it at health food places. Vitamins places. The even have it at Walmart in the vitamin section. It is a homeopathic, so it won't hurt you any. If you don't find relief right away, just stay with it. Sometimes it needs to build up some in the system. I take two at night because if I wake up I can't get back to sleep. It doesn't make you sleepy, just relaxed. The health and vitamin places sell a larger bottle of it for much cheaper than walmart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2005, 08:25 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

caroleye HB User

Love Calms Forte; also Bach Flower's Rescue Remedy is a good one for me.

LIGHT************carole

Old 05-20-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

This may sound almost too simple, but one thing I noticed helped me to feel more relaxed and less anxious was when I increased my fruit and vegetable intake to a LOT of servings a day. I have no idea what specific nutrient in there did it, or even if there was a specific food that did it. I do know that I'm eating a LOT more spinach than I used to. Maybe there is something in spinach that did the trick or it could be something else. (I use it raw as a base in salads instead of lettuce, I don't care for it cooked particularly.) In addition to vegetables included in my breakfast and dinner, I now have this huge dinner plate full of salad for lunch most days, and I think there is something in there that did the trick for me. In addition to a spinach base, I might include green or red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes, marinated garbanzo beans, mushrooms, celery, lightly steamed asparagus, onions, radishes, carrots. If I'm not having meat or fish for dinner, I'll also include ham, chicken, shrimp, or tuna. But it is the number of servings of vegetables that has increased a lot. I'm also drinking two or three cups of fruit juice a day now, and I suppose the difference could be from that. I vary the juice, but use grape juice or cranberry-apple (100% juice, not that sugar-water-juice combo they sell) or orange juice most often.

I have no idea if this will help, but eating more fruits and vegetables couldn't hurt.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:23 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Green tea has an amino acid in it called "theanine" which has a calming effect.(Not recommended for a sleep aid, but for nerves and mental clarity and not to mention good health due to the antioxidants).

Magnesium is EXCELLENT for nerves because it is the necessary component for the direct function of nerves, such as "relaxing" the nerves.

Kava Kava is good, but there is some controversey about the liver damage.

5HTP is a precursor to seratonin, the feel good chemical derived from tryptophan.

Laughter: Actually, laughter is gaining popularity amoung health gurus.

Try to stay away from tv shows or movies with drama, violence, and negativity like the news and music with filthy lyrics(this is my opinion of course.) In my opinion, this stuff is very bad for our well being.

BREATING: Breathing deeply at intervals during the day, like slow deep nice breaths is like mother nature's way of calming the nervous system.

Hot baths with lavender, works great!!

Massage: Although it is pricey and can't be done on a regular basis(for me that is), and to me, a regular basis is preferably once or twice a week, lol.

And of course(which I'm sure you know), Yoga, meditation, and a nice brisk walk or some kind of activity to get your heart rate up for at least 30 minutes. I know it's not the BEST idea when feeling anxious, but when your done, you feel better, AND sleep better(at least I do). I also used to suffer from insomnia(depression, anxiety) but now that I exercise, eat less refined carbs, take 5htp, magnesium/cal, fish oil, and a good diet, I feel better and sleep like a baby. Although, there are some nights that I can't sleep, not many, and valarian root works great for me.

Oh, and getting into good books is also good for mental stimulation and helping the mind calm down. I feel like we were put on this earth to constantly either move, or learn. Think of a subject you are VERY curious about and research it. Right now, mine is spirituality. A few months ago it was health so, I don't know, good luck. And, I know what it's like to feel edgy. And I used to take zoloft by the way. You may already practice these things, but this is just my idea. Let me know if you find what works for you!

Last edited by Jess75; 05-20-2005 at 09:47 PM.

Old 05-21-2005, 04:41 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

Thanks for all your replies. I know that I will try some of the ideas that everyone posted. I used to take Zoloft and it gave me insomnia, which made me feel even worse during the day because I could not sleep at night! Plus I have 2 children and one is a very active 19 month old boy! Plus a new puppy in the house. Once again, thanks everyone. Thanks especially to Jessicca, you gave me lots of good ideas.

Old 05-21-2005, 06:47 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Valarian root is also not good to take for people with Hep. C. Perhaps it is hard on the liver? Don't know exactly, but people with Hep. C. are not suppose to take it. Just wanted to add that.

Jessicca made some great suggestions! Mag. citrate does work, if you can't tolerate it, start out slowly, get some calcium too, this works with Magnesium, take them together.

My girlfriend is now taking Calms forte and she started out with 3 tabs per night, she did this for three weeks and just recently has not had to take it at all, unless her stress level has increased. I use it on a need to basis.

Old 06-10-2005, 06:12 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

TheHappyMan HB UserTheHappyMan HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by melanie in mary
Has anyone had success using Valerian root as a sleep aide? I use to have insomnia pretty bad, was on Zoloft which caused my insomnia and my sleep isn't perfect but improved and I thought adding Valerian root would help. I also suffer from anxiety, tension and was looking for a remedy to help with that. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate it. I just feel like I can never relax and I need a remedy to help with that, I am not looking for a miracl, only a little help. ha thanks
Great Advice Jessica !!!! Yes watch out for the Valerian root - the final word is not out on it yet..................

And for good sleep and relaxation - try a nice HOT shower and some Melatonin before bed....... works wonders

Old 07-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Rescue Remedy and Calms Forte do nothing for me. I discovered Indian herbs. Try taking one Ashwaganda pill. It is fantastic for daytime tension.

Closed Thread