It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #1
(male)

puzzlegut HB User
Exclamation Alternative treatment for social anxioty disorder

Hi. I just want to say that I haven't actaully been diagnoised with S.A.D. but I do have a lot of the symptoms and I've experienced this for most of my life.

Recently, there has been a lot of stress in my life and work which has made these symptoms worse then usually, such as nerviousness, anxious stomach, loss of appetite, and just being scared. I don't have health care and I doubt I can afford to buy medicine to help me with this problem.

I was wondering if there would be another way for me to help with this problem. Perhaps any supplements, oils, or anything else that will help me relieve the stress and anxiousness that will occur. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 05-13-2005, 10:23 AM   #2
(male)

puzzlegut HB User
Re: Alternative treatment for social anxioty disorder

I've been reading around on the Internet and I've read a few things regarding using St. John's Wort to help relieve anxiety. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and if helped relieve anxiety?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2005, 04:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

drs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB Userdrs HB User

Calms forte is safer, it falls more in the homeopathic catagory.

Old 05-20-2005, 08:04 AM   #4
(male)

puzzlegut HB User

Thanks for the suggestion. I looked at it online and I saw that it said it is used as a sleep aid. So, if I use this during the daytime or evening, does that mean I'm going to fall asleep or it would be unsafe for me to drive?

Old 05-21-2005, 02:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

I've heard of this too. And I may go and get it tomorrow, if I get the chance. I've been having awful axiety lately, due to work, menopause, etc. Iwould suggest trying it when you don't have to drive, to see how it affects you. Puzzle, I was just about to post the same question...so...thanks! I have also tried Valerian, St. Johns Wort & Sam-E. Actually Kava Kava worked good, but then I heard negative things about it, so...Valerian is OK & doesn't make you sleepy, but does help to relax (smells funky, though!) St, J. made me tired and Sam-E just made me feel weird (hard to describe).
So, guess I will check out the Calms Forte, as I keep hearing about it.
Meditation helps, but hard to concentrate when you are anxious.

Old 05-27-2005, 05:55 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

look into L-theanine. it is the amino acid found in tea and mushrooms. it influences alpha brain waves (make you feel physically relaxed but mentally alert) and also on GABA (an amino acid which makes you feel calm. the result is a state of relaxed awareness. it has been compared to Kava Kava but without the potential drowsiness or other side effects like liver problems. ever found how drinking green tea makes you feel good? well, thats due to the L-theanine in the tea. it counteracts the caffeine in the tea (along with catechins) leaving you alert but not anxious. since this element has been isolated then you have the theanine but not the caffeine, so the effectis even greater.

i have put a post on the vits board asking for experience in this supplement. so you may have more evidence for it soon.

alex

Old 05-27-2005, 07:01 AM   #7
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

i'd say the above may help with the symptoms (the anxiety). try looking into bach flower remedies to treat the root of the problem. they counteract negative emotions/ character traits. larch is for self-confidence, so you feel more confident in your self around people. mimulus is for fears that are known, in your case fear of people. they can take several months to help if the problem is deep rooted and has affected the person for some time and it may aggrevate the condition temporarily, so be patient. i can't promise its gonna help, but its worth a try.

alex.

Old 05-27-2005, 07:08 AM   #8
(male)

puzzlegut HB User

Thanks for the suggestions ratboy83. Right now, I'm taking Bach's Elm remedy. I've only been taking it on the weekends as those are the most stressful days for me. They do seem to help a little bit. Hopefully over time they'll make me feel a lot better.

Closed Thread