It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #1
(male)

AlienB HB User
Incomplete bowel movements

I've been straining some and having a feeling of not empying the bowel. I'll go 2 times in the morning and really never feel done. I've been taking Fiber and drinking more water, however, the water runs through me. This is really annoying and causing me great distress. Any suggestions on supplements that will help ease and complete nature's call?
Something natural that can be taken daily would be ideal. This started with a bout with anxiety and depression and just can't break the cycle. I heard Magnesium Aspartate and Triphala may help. Some also mentioned Swiss something but I really don't need a laxative effect because I am going.I don't think you're supposed to take even herbal laxatives daily.. Let me know of any suggestions..thanks much

Last edited by AlienB; 05-23-2005 at 11:16 AM.

Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User
Re: Incomplete bowel movements

If you are not already, plenty of fresh veggies and fruits (some raw) can be helpful. I know you mention fiber, but am not sure whether it is a supplement. IMHO, it is better to get it from food as much as possible.

Triphala is great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-23-2005, 09:37 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

What is the normal amount of times per day that a person should have a bowel movement? For a while, I heard that once a day is good enough. But lately, I've heard that 2-3 bowel movements is normal.

Old 05-24-2005, 06:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Alien,
I'm all for natural remedies, and I hope that's all you need. I don't want to alarm you... but the problem you're describing is one of the warning signs of cancer.
You really should check this out with a health professional to make sure it's only a constipation issue.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:24 PM   #5
(male)

AlienB HB User

Midwest,
This started with the onset of depression and I'm sure that's the cause. I somehow contracted Tinnitus and my Mother passed away and things got weird.
I've had blood work and the stool samples were all normal. I have no blood in stools and no other signs of problems. The GI came back with a possible spastic colon?? I was having some stomach discomfort but not any more. I'm conveniced it's a brain/gut thing caused by stress and nerves.
I'm only 44 and don't want all those tests for nothing. Some have gotten worse after a colonoscopy.. Thanks for the heads up anyway..

Last edited by AlienB; 05-24-2005 at 12:34 PM.

Old 05-24-2005, 12:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

auntjudyg HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concerned Male
What is the normal amount of times per day that a person should have a bowel movement? For a while, I heard that once a day is good enough. But lately, I've heard that 2-3 bowel movements is normal.
Normal is anything from 3 times a day to every 3 days.

Old 05-24-2005, 01:05 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

midwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB Usermidwest1 HB User

Good! Sounds as if you've covered the bases, Alien. In that case, definitely try the magnesium. I take 750 mgs of mag citrate per day, and if I miss a day or two, my system gets slowed down.
I don't know much about mag aspartate; I think most any form of mag will help.

Old 05-27-2005, 08:30 AM   #8
(male)

AlienB HB User

Midwest,
Alright..thanks for magnesium heads-up. Do you any fiber supplements with the magnesium?
Tell me abit about your diet and how many BM's you have per day. Trying to get to the desired results is a real challange.
I'm really interested in the mircle of magnesium. Some consider Magnesium Citrate a laxative and it's kinda confusing. Let me know your thoughts..thanks

Also, do you drink a bunch of water daily??

Last edited by AlienB; 05-27-2005 at 08:30 AM.

Old 05-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have no major constipation problem. I'm hypothyroid, but despite adequate treatment for it, I still have occasional sluggishness. That's how I know that skipping the mag makes a difference in the way things move.

My diet has lots of natural fiber foods and little meat. I love fruit - both fresh and dried - and nuts, so I eat a lot of them every day. Veggies too. I eat little bread, but switching to whole grain bread and pasta helps immensely.... even more fiber that way.

I hardly ever drink water. Just a large glass of tea at meals and whatever water it takes to get my supplements down. The type of food I eat contains a lot of water, which counts toward the daily requirement. If my urine ever gets darker than the color of lemon juice, only then I'll make an effort to get more water.

I take the mag primarily to aid in the absorption of my calcium.... Gotta take care of these old bones. I've seen mag citrate in the laxative section, but I don't know much about it. The kind I take is included in the capsule with my calcium, but you can find caps or tabs of mag citrate only.
Mag is good not only for bowel function, but for all muscle systems in the body. It benefits heart function and large muscle groups too.

Old 07-14-2005, 08:28 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

aslo HB User

I would suggest probiotics. I have and have had colitis and other bowel attrocities, and found probiotics as one of the few things that actually help. I would also suggest squatting, or at least trying to bring your knees up higher, leaning forward and relaxing, trying to eliminate as slowly as possible. The fact that you go twice in the morning suggests some kind of spastic activity, so you want to retrain and relax.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:31 AM   #11
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1

Just a large glass of tea at meals and whatever water it takes to get my supplements down. ..
i'd give the tea at meal times a miss. tea can hinder the absorption of minerals when taken at meal times (whilst also diluting your digestive enzymes). it'll also hinder the absorption of your mineral supplements. you'll get far more from your food and supps if you quench your thirst inbetween meals instead.

alex.

Old 07-15-2005, 02:35 AM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

hi there alien B. alway best to get these checked out by an medical practitioner like the other dude said. but here are some suggestions anyway if ya like....

its best to get to the root cause of these things rather than trest the symptoms. if you think that it is an anxiety/ stress issue then treat that and it should alleviate your symptoms.

do you take any other supplements at all for you depression and anxiety? tell what you take and i should be able to give some advice based on that.

alex.

Old 07-15-2005, 09:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Thanks again ratboy, i'm gonna try this aloe vera!

Closed Thread