It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-29-2005, 10:16 AM   #1
(male)

mertero HB User
Question Best college for Naturopathic medicine?

Hi guys.

Which colleges are the best to study Naturopathic medicine?

I know of 4 good (accredited) colleges in the US (Bastyr, SCNM, NCNM, CCNM), but I'm not seeking a place in the US.

It is rather difficult to find information on the web, so I really need help... Any info on schools will be great - especially in NZ or Australia.

Cheers,

Ron.

Old 05-31-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User
Re: Best college for Naturopathic medicine?

I don't really know of that many off hand, but I have heard good things about Bastyr. I'll try and see if I can get some info for you about ones that are outside the US.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 04:06 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

I too have heard great things about Bastyr, you might want to check out ACNM, the Australian College of Natural Medicine, and I know there is also an accredited school of naturopathic medicine in the UK. The folks at ACNM are fantastic to deal with through phone and email, if you order any info/int'l student info you get it lightning quick.

The only consideration I ran into with atttending one of these schools abroad is that they don't have federal school codes which can be used for federal student loan purposes. I was informed by the FAFSA people that I could ask the schools to get one so I could keep my loans here, but by that time I had changed my course of study. Good luck to you.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:47 AM   #4
(male)

mertero HB User

Guys,

Thanks for the info. I'm not concerened about federal loans and such - I'm not from the states...

Which is part of the reason I prefer not to go to study there. It is very expensive. The UK is also expensive, and that's why OZ/NZ are great choices, but I'm not sure about the teaching level of those schools...

Anyone else has more info?

Thanks again,

Ron.

Old 05-31-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User

Try doing a search for some of the more prestigious NDs that have been successful in the practice for many years. See what kind of background they have that precedes naturopathy, what kind of research they have done, and what different schools they have used. Look at the professors that teach at Bastyr and SCNM and their credentials as well.

The pre-requisites for the US schools are a bit weightier than the schools abroad. They are also ostentatiously expensive! You are right about the tuiton in OZ, it's reasonable even for international students. I think the biggest difference in the caliber of the education is what you get with your pre-reqs. The knowledge that comes with a pre-med program is beneficial to having a deeper understanding of the physiological reasons why naturopathic medicine works in the way that it does.

Closed Thread