It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-02-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
(female)

kaykay5 HB User
need help for insomnia

What is the best thing to use for insomnia? I can not sleep and when I do fall asleep (using Klonopin which I am weaning off of) I wake up every hr. I want to get rid of the drugs and use something natural. What works? I'm tired of being tired!
Thanks

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
(male)

greensky HB User
Re: need help for insomnia

I take ornithine every night before beed, and it helps me to sleep. If I still can't sleep and start to get restless I take Melatonin and a calcium magnesium supplement. Best if you get one that you desolve in hot water, for quick absorbtion. The cal/mag helps me to relax.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-04-2005, 06:29 PM   #3
(female)

kaykay5 HB User

Thank you. I just bought a cal/mag supplement and some melatonin and valerian. hope something helps. I havent' heard of ornithine, I'll have to look that one up.

Old 06-04-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
(male)

greensky HB User

I hope it helps.

If you decide to try ornithine start with a high dosage 4g. if it helps then cut down til you find the dose that works for you. I take 1g.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:07 AM   #5
(female)

queenbluebee HB User

KayKay--try melatonin 3 mg.

Old 06-11-2005, 07:35 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Exercise and valerian root helps me. I mean, when I don't exercise, I usually have to take valerain to help me sleep sometimes.

Old 07-02-2005, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

Try one sub-lingual , mint flavored melatonin. If that doesn't work invest in a bottle of SOMNATROL and take 2 of those. You can also take 2 Benadryls.
Have you tried Tylenol PM? All these things work if they're rotated.

Old 07-03-2005, 05:12 AM   #8
Inactive

Michael01 HB User

There's a product that a neighbor uses and claims it helps. I just purchased it although I have not used it yet. Have it just in case I should need a sleep aid. The product is called Sleep Naturally and contains Valerian, 5 HTP, Melatonin, Chamomile, Passion Flower, Lemon Balm, Skullcap, Catnip, Hops, Ashwagandha. They recommend one or two capsules 30 minutes before sleep with water. It was formulated by Dr. Stephen Holt. It's very inexpensive so it's worth looking into.

Old 07-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #9
(male)

greensky HB User

Ornithine is a non-essential amino acid. Its in meats, fish, dairy, and eggs. Among other things it helps get rid of ammonia. The theory here is that high levels of ammonia will keep you awake.

Wisely it’s against board policy to tell you where to get it, bit it shouldn’t be difficult to find.

Old 07-05-2005, 03:37 AM   #10
(female)

Bonitagirl HB User

Have you tried a cup of chamomile tea? I use that from time to time and it works great,even just smelling the hot tea has a nice relaxing effect.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:00 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

If you are weaning off of Klonopin you're ability to sleep will not be improved until the drug is free from your system. I was on Clonazepam (Klonopin Generic) for about 6 months. One of the huge downsides is the drug can cause "rebound insomnia". I had a ton of trouble getting off the stuff. I wouldn't put anything else into my body that was not natural. Try Tart Cherry Juice - contains melatonin and other beneficial anti-oxidents. This will help with getting off Klonopin a wee bit. I would also take a Calcium/Magnesium supplement in the Citrate form. I also supplement Whey Protein (sweetened with Stevia). Always go to bed at the same time each night - I shoot for 8:30pm to 9pm, although it's later tonight I'm off to bed soon. Take a nice warm bath, keep your room between 62 and 68 degrees, and as dark as possible. You can not underestimate the effect of the Drug as you come off of it on the poor quality of sleep. Clonazepam made me sleep at first but then turned on me. Get off it and stay away from other meds for sleep. Eventually your sleep will return. I know that's not what you want to hear, but that's what happens on Clonazepam.

Closed Thread