It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2005, 10:09 AM   #1
(female)

katie865 HB User
Question Help please....zoloft and herbs??

Hello everyone,

I take Zoloft 50 mg daily...It hasnt been very long since I have been on it...only a few weeks...but I have read alot about vitamins/herbs that can help reduce stress/anxiety...such as valerian root, Kava Kava, 5-HTP, Catnip...Etc....But I have been unsure as to if they are safe to take while I am taking Zoloft...If anyone knows any information on this please let me know, it would me much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Katie

Old 06-03-2005, 03:07 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mellowfish HB User
Re: Help please....zoloft and herbs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie865
Hello everyone,

I take Zoloft 50 mg daily...It hasnt been very long since I have been on it...only a few weeks...but I have read alot about vitamins/herbs that can help reduce stress/anxiety...such as valerian root, Kava Kava, 5-HTP, Catnip...Etc....But I have been unsure as to if they are safe to take while I am taking Zoloft...If anyone knows any information on this please let me know, it would me much appreciated!!!

Thanks,

Katie
Herbs can be just as potent as any pharmaceutical and will still produce synergistic effects. A board certified naturopathic physician should be able to provide you with exact information, dosing, etc. I also don't know how long Zoloft persists in the body after discontinuing dosing, your best bet to be safe would be to hold out on trying anything until you can consult with a knowledgeable professional. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-05-2005, 11:37 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

jbbrocky HB User

its fine to take herbs like the ones your mentioning. it can only help

Old 06-05-2005, 10:54 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

It's always wise to consult first with a dr or naturopath before mixing drugs, herbs are a drug to and have been used as drugs for thousands of years. Alot of our medicene today is derived from herbs, plants like foxglove (in fact if you ate a peice of the foxglove plant it could kill you)and such and they should be taken with as much care as our conventional medicene.

Last edited by NancyH; 06-05-2005 at 10:58 PM.

Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 AM   #5
(female)

katie865 HB User

Thank you so much for your replies...I have just had so much trouble with my anxiety. I feel like this zoloft isnt helping, but my doctor says it takes time. I cannot get into my doctor for another few days, and so I thought some of those herbal remedies to calm and relax may help with my anxiety....since that xanax, ativan, etc. being so addicting, my doctor wouldnt even want to write a script for them, she is very cautious with those meds...I have been excercising and keeping very busy...I just am going through alot emotionally and have so much anxiety built up inside of me. I also see a counselor 3 times a week, who on the contrary, feels as if i should be taking an anti anxiety med regulary rather than the zoloft which is more for depression.......

I will make sure to check with my doctor about the drug interactions....bad thing is, around where i am from there are no doctors that specialize in homeopathic or naturopathic medicine or anything like that....

Thanks for the replies! Much appreciated! Im always checking for them!
Katie

p.s. Hope all is well with you as well!

Old 07-04-2005, 06:15 PM   #6
(female)

moonlily HB User

Give the Zoloft more time first, Id skip the 5-htp, you might get seratonin syndrome. also Kava Kava is very hard on the liver. Zoloft is very effective for anxiety, its used for both depression and anxiety. It is much safer than anti-anxiety meds

Old 07-07-2005, 03:11 PM   #7
(female)

*DottieGirl* HB User

Zoloft is good. I took it once when I was in college stressed out, going full time and working two jobs. But I stopped after 2 1/2 weeks because I felt like I was ready to not take it anymore. You just have to listen to your body. I did go to a health vitamin store today and I picked up a supplement for brain performance...called Brain Pep. It's filled with Kola Nut, Ginko Bilabo, Gotu Kola, Eluethero, Ginger and Schizandra. Hope all works out for you.

I didn't know that about Kava Kava.

Last edited by *DottieGirl*; 07-07-2005 at 03:12 PM.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:36 AM   #8
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

stuff the zoloft. in my experience it is evil .it screwed with my head and i'm only just getting it back together completely. i took it when i was really low but i regret it so, so much. i urge you to look more into natural alternatives. when i managed to do it regularly a couple of years back exercise was the best thing for me. felt calm but really alert at the same time from it. takes a bit of time to kick in (14 weeks) but it reall, really does help and its free!!!!!! when i say exercise though, i mean more then walking. cycling did it for me combines with tennis.

alex.

Old 07-22-2005, 04:12 PM   #9
(male)

greensky HB User

I second ratboy here, Get of it.

How people can recommend Zoloft and then be concerned about herbs is beyond me. If drugs where judged as harshly as herbs, even your common aspirin would be banned.

Here are some of the side effects from the Zoloft premarketing clinical studies.

Ejaculation Failure 14% placebo 1%
Anorexia 6% placebo 2%
Diarrhea 20% placebo 10%
Insomnia 21% placebo 11%
fever, hyperkinesia, urinary incontinence, aggressive reaction, sinusitis, epistaxis and purpura at least twice as in the placebo group.

The list goes on, and gets much longer with reported side effects since its release.

Old 07-23-2005, 08:23 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

Remember those possible side effects are just that, possible, 80% of the population can take without any side effects long term or otherwise. I took it but went off of it because I found working out at the gymn 4 times a week was working just as well as any drug natural or conventional. Natural has all the side effects as any drug and they are a drug, conventional drugs come from plants themselves before they are over processed etc. Dont let the Naturopathic word fool you either it's a drug and can do just as much harm. So start taking walks, fast pace, eat right cut down on the refined sugars and it will work just as good, provided you don't get hit by a car, hey nothing is really 100% safe!!! Myself, I like to keep my money in my pockets not the pharmacuetical CEO or the Naturopathic CEO, they are all in it for the bucks, and by the way they are keeping many more people alive than they are taking them, so look at the stats, if it comes down to life or death would anyone refuse to take that pill? I doubt I'd refuse.

Old 07-24-2005, 05:09 AM   #11
(male)

greensky HB User

I’m not advocating that drugs don’t have there uses. I also will see my traditional doctor for something’s. And shore some herbs may have some side effects, but nothing compared to Zoloft. I have never heard of a herb that causes suicide. Zoloft does according to FDA 1 out 50 under 18 years or younger become suicidal. There must also be some in-between the no adverse reactions and suicide cases, who get mental issues from this drug.

If you choose to believe the many cases of violence and murder caused by users of Zoloft, Prozac and the like or not it is certainly in my book cause for concern. Just try a read the warnings given to healthcare professionals and what they should look out for it patients, its scary reading.

As Kava Kava has been mentioned in this thread, can it cause side effects? Yes. Where it is used traditionally they don’t suffer from liver problems. In the US and Europe there have been liver damage. It’s rare and some suspect it’s because it’s made differently in the US and Europe then traditionally. If you take it daily over years you likely will get a skin condition. Kava Kava as I see it is a stimulant and as such doesn’t have any health benefits. I would take it any day over Zoloft. Would I personally take it as a stimulant? No, but I also don’t drink alcohol (well I do but seldom). If I had the need to take it I would though.

I’m not going to quote the numbers of deaths caused by aspirin and the like, the numbers are so high you wouldn’t believe me anyway, so do your own research. The numbers of deaths by herbs are nothing compared to these numbers.

I’m also not advocating just taking anything the alternative market offers, certainly do your research. But also keep things in perspective. If a supplement causes a problem like say tryptofan did some years back. This was caused by a contaminated batch 10 years ago and it still has a bad reputation. In Denmark where I live it’s been banned ever since. But when Coca Cola releases a contaminated batch of soda’s with acid, do we ban soft drinks? Or if somebody dies from eating a chicken, should we ban chickens? Of cause not, but taking appropriate steeps to ensure good hygiene is a lesson learnt from salmonella in chickens.

Sorry for going on, I know we are all just trying to help with the knowledge, experiences and beliefs we have, but I do feel very strongly about this type of drug. And I will try to get back to the original question. It is suspected that St. John's wort may interact with Zoloft, and generally you should check with your health care professional before taking any other medicines with Zoloft. Whether the other herbs you mention fall in to this category or not we probably won’t come to an agreement here. So if you still want to take Zoloft, play it safe and check with your health care professional, this is a very powerful drug and don’t take any risks.

Old 07-24-2005, 04:13 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

ratboy83 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by greensky
Iím not advocating that drugs donít have there uses. I also will see my traditional doctor for somethingís. And shore some herbs may have some side effects, but nothing compared to Zoloft. I have never heard of a herb that causes suicide. Zoloft does according to FDA 1 out 50 under 18 years or younger become suicidal. There must also be some in-between the no adverse reactions and suicide cases, who get mental issues from this drug.

If you choose to believe the many cases of violence and murder caused by users of Zoloft, Prozac and the like or not it is certainly in my book cause for concern. Just try a read the warnings given to healthcare professionals and what they should look out for it patients, its scary reading.

As Kava Kava has been mentioned in this thread, can it cause side effects? Yes. Where it is used traditionally they donít suffer from liver problems. In the US and Europe there have been liver damage. Itís rare and some suspect itís because itís made differently in the US and Europe then traditionally. If you take it daily over years you likely will get a skin condition. Kava Kava as I see it is a stimulant and as such doesnít have any health benefits. I would take it any day over Zoloft. Would I personally take it as a stimulant? No, but I also donít drink alcohol (well I do but seldom). If I had the need to take it I would though.

Iím not going to quote the numbers of deaths caused by aspirin and the like, the numbers are so high you wouldnít believe me anyway, so do your own research. The numbers of deaths by herbs are nothing compared to these numbers.

Iím also not advocating just taking anything the alternative market offers, certainly do your research. But also keep things in perspective. If a supplement causes a problem like say tryptofan did some years back. This was caused by a contaminated batch 10 years ago and it still has a bad reputation. In Denmark where I live itís been banned ever since. But when Coca Cola releases a contaminated batch of sodaís with acid, do we ban soft drinks? Or if somebody dies from eating a chicken, should we ban chickens? Of cause not, but taking appropriate steeps to ensure good hygiene is a lesson learnt from salmonella in chickens.

Sorry for going on, I know we are all just trying to help with the knowledge, experiences and beliefs we have, but I do feel very strongly about this type of drug. And I will try to get back to the original question. It is suspected that St. John's wort may interact with Zoloft, and generally you should check with your health care professional before taking any other medicines with Zoloft. Whether the other herbs you mention fall in to this category or not we probably wonít come to an agreement here. So if you still want to take Zoloft, play it safe and check with your health care professional, this is a very powerful drug and donít take any risks.
here-here. i dig everything that you say. i feel strongly about the tryptophan issue too- it makes no sense.

Old 07-24-2005, 10:27 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

First off Herbal medicenes are not under the FDA regulations so the statistics won't even be mentioned. You can't get a fair comparison in doing so, herbs that cause death do not have to be reported as such and for that matter deaths due to conventional medicene are over reported. hyped up by news media and taken way out in left field, thanks to all those good ole boys lawyers out there waiting for the money to roll in from class action suits. I worked for a Naturopaths for many years and we never had to report anyone who had a serious side effect from any herbal meds. There really is no comparison as to which causes more harm or more good, because they are under no obligation to report as such. In the nursing field we had to report anything from an unusual pimple to heart palpatations from any drug. Not to mention that very few actual deaths are do to a particular drug itself, it takes the right circumstances such as undetected heart disease or lung disease and more often than not, people DO NOT take their medicene as prescribed, if a little works fine than alot must work better, that causes more death than any pill, natural or conventional ever will. I don't knock the conventional or the alternative as I've worked in both fields but I do think people need to do more research than just taking something because someone said it worked for them, because everyone is different and react different with any kind of drug from aspirin to morphine. My husband would not be alive if he wasn't taking his heart medicene, we tried alternative for many years and he had two heart attacks not necessarily do to herbs but do to lack of the right ones for him, he has been heart attack free for 7 yrs now, 4 heart attacks, quadruple bypass, 3 stents, 2 angioplasty all within a 10 yr period. I have to be grateful to some of these drugs whether I like them or not, they are keeping him alive!!

Old 07-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #14
(male)

greensky HB User

The numbers I was thinking of are from, I’ve forgot the name, an American institution that sends out journals. Medical something something. This journal was only regarding traditional medicines. But it is an institution that is pro traditional medicine, not an alternative group. I haven’t read the full report only small extracts, and I’m sure as you write that many of the deaths occur due to not following the prescriptions.

Very generally speaking it still shows that drugs are often toxic, whereas many, and certainly not all, herbs are non toxic

In Denmark all deaths are examined for cause, and if they where herbs in use here that kill people the media would pounce at it. The media here are very quick to report any cases of adverse reactions to alternative medicines. I have never heard of any deaths in connection with herbs in Denmark. We are more restrictive with available herbs in Denmark then in the US. So if you know of herbs that kill people I would like to hear specific examples.

I would probably do the same if I get a heart condition as your husband, try alternative first and then switch to traditional drugs. I don’t know much about heart drugs and don’t have an issue with them, or many other medicines, that address will defined problems and cure people of all sorts of ailments. My issue here is with Zoloft and the like (not that I don’t have issues with others also), and statements that it’s no more harmful then herbs.

Old 07-25-2005, 06:39 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

NancyH HB User

I do agree with you, I'm no fan of the constant barrage of TV commercials on "ask your Dr if you should be taking ......." the pharmacueticals are badgering the public with how great thou art trying to get the audience to ask their Dr for whatever ails you. I see it the same way as I see the Lawyers and their "have you been hurt in an accident, any accident"? GREED plain and simple. I do think the older drugs were much safer tho the pharmacuetical Co say otherwise (cuz their trying to get you to try the more expensive "new and safer" drug, which isn't any safer and most of the time have more adverse reactions. I have multiple medical conditions including osteoporosis, MVP, 2 different blood diseases, rheumatoid arthritis to name a few, I'm lucky none have debilated me as of yet and I only take xanax at night and give my B12 injections as the only drugs, I'm a drug phobic anyway. I just find that excersise works the best for me as long as I don't overdo it. But if there comes a time and I'm sure it will that I will need to be on a drug to keep me going I will, til then I'm doing it the best way for me, constant movement. Zoloft just happens to be the drug of the millinium right now and getting all the publicity good and bad. I tend to be Herb oriented myself but I know they also have some serious adverse reactions that have been made public like conventional meds.

Closed Thread