It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Epsom Salts

Hello and goodmorning,
I'am deficient of Magnesium and am considering taking a half teaspoon of Epsom Salts every other day for 2-3 weeks.I want to make absolute certain it is safe before starting.Does anyone think it will be ok?

Thanks
Lotus

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 12:04 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Epsom Salts

I think you would be better off with a magnesium supplement. They are time released, so they won't cause diarhea like the epsom salts can. I take a 250mg supplement myself.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-14-2005, 08:49 PM   #3
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Time release vitamins are not a good idea because you lose a lot of the potency in your liver and spleen while it processess, so little is actually absorbed into your body.
A good magesium is magesium glycinate because it is easy on your body and highly absorbed. If you split up the dose of magesium and not take to much you should not have problems with loose bowels. Just like Vit. C- too much and you have loose bowels, you have to find the right dose for you. Start with 250 or 300 mg. at a time.
By the way magesium is a sleep aid taken before bedtime. It relaxes your body and muscles.

Old 06-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
(female)

oeee HB User

Epsom salts are very difficult to consume- I have done it in the past. Consumption is difficult and painful and not worth it- take a magnesium supplement- just go to the health food store and ask for a calcium magnesium supplement. good luck.

Old 06-22-2005, 01:56 PM   #5
(male)

greensky HB User

How can it be painful to take Epsom Salts?

When I take it I dissolve it in a glass of water and drink it. Just drink it in one go and have some plain water to take a swallow immediately after you drink the Epsom to avoid the bitter after taste from Epsom.

This is not a recommendation to take as a Magnesium supplement, but it dos have its uses.

Old 06-23-2005, 03:04 PM   #6
Inactive

kerry1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by armadillo pie
A good magesium is magesium glycinate because it is easy on your body and highly absorbed. If you split up the dose of magesium and not take to much you should not have problems with loose bowels. Just like Vit. C- too much and you have loose bowels, you have to find the right dose for you. Start with 250 or 300 mg. at a time.
By the way magesium is a sleep aid taken before bedtime. It relaxes your body and muscles.
I've heard the same thing about magnesium glycinate - also, that it's good for fighting depression. I always sleep better when I take my cal/mag supplements regularly. Thanks for the reminder!!!

You should keep the Epsom salts around, though. They're great for drawing infection out of your skin, or bee venom, or whatever. I found a cream called Epsal that has the salts in an ointment base - it can be a livesaver.

Old 06-24-2005, 03:17 PM   #7
(male)

Bob2 HB User

I prefer magnesium citrate. I've read that is one of the best forms of it to obsorb the magnesium the best. I know it works for me because after I started taking a diaretic for high blood pressure, I got a little nervous and jumpy. Particularly jumpy from things like someone blowing their horn when I was driving. I looked for the cause and read about magnesium defiency and it seemed to fit my problem. The nervousness and jumpyness went away after I started taking a 200 miligram magnesium citrate pill in the morning and at dinner time.

Old 07-04-2005, 07:11 PM   #8
(female)

moonlily HB User

You could try it & see, but it may give you diareahh (sp) I soak in it, you need to use a lot, about 1-2 lbs in a large bath, but you do absorb some through your skin

Closed Thread