It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-20-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User
Skullcap or Hops for anxiety/insomnia?

I have anxiety. I have it under control except occassionally here and there. It also seems to cause insomnia for me. My question is this, in everyone's opinion which would be better to help with this anxiety/insomnia problem, should I try hops or skullcap? I also need to know if I should take it every day or only when my anxiety is at it's worst? Does it matter? Please let me know your opinions. Thank God for this board as well. It has answered so many of my questions

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-01-2005, 12:50 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User
Re: Skullcap or Hops for anxiety/insomnia?

My personal opinion is that those 2 things do nothing. See, if all a person had to do was buy a bottle of hops then no one would have insomnia. I have resorted to sleep gels from a drugstore for decades. I rotate them with
tylenol PM and Somnatrol which is an expensive , strong mix of Many herbs.
Eckerd has the best gel cap I've ever taken but many of those stores have closed down

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-04-2005, 07:09 PM   #3
(female)

moonlily HB User

Yes, both of those work for me, I take them in a combo liquid herb. I have long term insomnia, and most of the time these really help. Not all herbs work for individuals, hence the different opinions. Tylenol PM gives me restless legs and hyperactivity, and valerian has no effect. Sometimes its worth talking to someone knoweledgeable and trying a few different combinations.

Old 07-08-2005, 06:26 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I have theanine capsules on my nightstand. They didn't Touch anxiety during the day but they may calm me more during sleep --along with other meds, that is.

Old 07-08-2005, 07:07 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

HELLASRULES HB UserHELLASRULES HB User

Hi, I just started taking 5-htp this past week. I take it for sleep problems, although I also have a lot of strss and anxiety. It has only been since last Sat. but I have slept thru the night, every night this week. I've slept thru the noise & flickering of the TV being on all night (never heard it), never had to get up to go to the bathroom (always have to do that). I still have stress, from work etc, but now that you mention anxiety, I don't think I've had the anxiety attacks like I usually have every day. ANd I don't think I get startled awake just as I drift off to sleep like I had been doing, before taking the 5-htp.
I haven't taken it during the day, only before bed, but seemed to make me drousy, so didn't dare take it during the day while having to drive & work. May try it during the day on my vacation.
And I've also started drinking green tea, which I believe someone said has the theanine in it.

Last edited by HELLASRULES; 07-08-2005 at 07:08 PM.

Old 07-09-2005, 07:39 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SusanGene HB User

I have been taking dhea 25mg timed release for at least 2 weeks. I sleep much longer, much deeper. I also have long, vivid dreams which I don't care for but it's well worth it. I just ordered MICRONIZED dhea as I have read it is better absorbed but it isn't timed release. I added PRENENOLONE a week ago and can't wait to see what happens then!! lol
This is , I can honestly say, the first time in DECADES I can go back to sleep at 5am without any pharmaceutical assistence Now, to be honest,
I also have been taking TURMERIC, ASHWAGANDHA AND BACOPA for 2 weeks.
Daily. But it seems like the dhea is what is causing the deep sleep.

Old 07-12-2005, 12:47 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

melanie in mary HB User

thanks for all your replies

Closed Thread