It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User
MRI's

I was asked to be a aprt of a study but I have doubts. It involves being in an MRI machine for two 15 minute periods while they scan my brain for certain activity ( I will be viewing pictures and they want to see what part of my brain lights up).

Other then some of fear of small and enclosed places, I have these strong feelings about the safety of being exposed to the magnetic field for so long.

Dose anyone know about this or have any knowledge to share?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-08-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: MRI's

I, for one, certainly wouldn't do it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-09-2005, 05:21 AM   #3
(male)

greensky HB User

If you aren’t comfortable with it, don’t do it, unless of cause this is a study you really would like to support.

I haven’t heard of any health risk in connection with the magnetic field in a MRI. There are risks if you have metal fragments in your body, especially near your eyes. If they want to inject you with contrast I would on the other hand be more concerned with this, then the MRI itself. This can cause an allergic reaction. It can be easily controlled with drugs, but who wants to go there?

Also if you have a problem with small spaces they might or could give you a sedative, but again as this is the alternative board, who wants that?

Old 07-09-2005, 11:59 AM   #4
Veteran

armadillo pie HB User

Thanks- I am not going to do the study. It was a great idea but I am uncomfortabel with small spaces and I also do not trust that much magnetic energy.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:55 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

I'd do it in a heartbeat. I've had 2 MRI's including one with contrast. I'm not keen on contrast, but there is tons of research on MRI's and they are an incredibly (not to mention expensive) common procedure. You are exposed to radiation, magnetic fields, toxins, all kinds of things daily. You would quickly find out if you had any problems you may not otherwise know about. MRI's are not scarey and are non invasive. I trust them 1,000 times over the many X-Rays I've had in the past years.

Old 08-13-2005, 12:48 AM   #6
(female)

Jennihul HB User

I wouldn't fret about the MRI field. I have worked in an MRI for seven years, been inside for countless test procedures to ensure the unit is working and am healthier than ever. We are in the room for periods of time with every patient and are in the field even when the door is closed and no one I know has ever suffered any side effects. In fact, high field MRI has been shown to cure depression, incidentally, in people who have the tests done. MRI has been around for two decades and, unlike ionizing radation from xrays and gamma rays, strong magnetic fields have shown no evidence of danger.

Claustrophobia is another matter. It's not the kind of thing people can "talk" themselves though. If you have to resort to sedatives, what good will the study be? I doubt they would sedate you if they are trying to study your functional brain reactions to images anyway.

Jennifer

Old 08-18-2005, 08:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

I've had an MRI of the head and there is no danger in doing it. It's not like an xray. It is very safe.

Closed Thread