It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2005, 01:32 AM   #1
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User
Vicks Salve

I started using Vicks Salve last night on my toenails.They are pitiful looking!!Seriously they look DEAD and have taken on the color of a light looking yellow pearl.They remind me of what my 86 year old Grandmother's toenails looked like.The shape of the nail has changed and since I had ingrown toenail surgery in 01 the nail on my L foot looks like it has shrunk into the soft part of my toe.I thought using Vicks wouldn't hurt so am gonna give it a go and see if I get results.

Old 07-13-2005, 01:25 AM   #2
(female)

1plumppup HB User
Re: Vicks Salve

Hi, I read that this helps, I think I did an online search for more info.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 10:17 AM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Hi Plumppup,
I'm trying it so hoping for results.

Old 07-13-2005, 03:57 PM   #4
(female)

Pig Lover HB User

Lotus, I'm a (REMOVED), and I always recommend tea tree oil. It's a lot stronger than Vicks. It's everywhere where they sell vitamins -- grocery stores, drug stores, etc. Just buy an eye dropper and pull your skin back away from the toe nail, then put several drops in between your nail and the nail bed. It has to reach all the way back to the end where the infection is. If it's bacterial, it will probably take a long time to heal. If it's an internal yeast problem, it shouldn't take too long. You have be diligent about applying it at least 2 times a day, especially after you get out of the shower. Wetness breeds bacteria, so dry your nails well with a hair dryer. The only thing stronger than tea tree oil is oil of oregano, but you have to order that over the net. Try the tea tree first. The Vicks doesn't get to the root of the infection because it's too thick. Putting it on the top of the nail isn't enough. It has to get underneath. Even after all that, it will still take a long time to grow out, and nails grow extremely slow with a fungus. It won't "clear up", it has to grow out. On the lighter side, it's not something that will hurt you, it's just unsightly. Good luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2005 at 07:06 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules - do not reveal your profession

Old 07-13-2005, 04:18 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Pig Lover,
I have Tea Tree Oil and have heard it was a wonderful Antifungal but for some reason I thought about the Vick's instead.I will switch to it and see.I like to paint my toenails and when your toenails look like you said unsightly they aren't nice to look at even painted.What amazes me is I had ingrown toenail surgery on both big toes in 01.My Podiatrist never mentioned a Fungus and I'm sure he saw it.

Old 07-13-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
(female)

Pig Lover HB User

I'm sorry, but I should have mentioned that elderly people and those who have poor circulation in their legs also have thickening of the toenails. It's because the blood doesn't circulate to the tips of the feet very well, and the nails are the first to be affected. Rarely is this cured by anything obviously.

Last edited by moderator2; 07-13-2005 at 07:07 PM. Reason: please read and follow the posting rules

Old 07-13-2005, 06:54 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Pig Lover,
I'm 32 I mentioned my toenails looking like my 86 year old Grandmother's.As far as I know I don't have poor circulation.Most everyone in my family(especially the older family members)have thickened toenails.Most of the men have had their feet stomped my Cattle repeatedly for years I'm sure that is why their toenails look that way.But I also have Candida so I probably have a Toenail Fungus.

Old 07-19-2005, 12:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

kitkat77 HB User

How can you be certain the discoloration is from a fungus? Applying nail polish without a base coat will also produce the same effect. Have you tried buffing them?

Old 07-19-2005, 10:16 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

One reason I can be sure is I have Candida and another reason I don't think not applying a base coat first will make the nails thicken or chip.

Last edited by Lotus_Blossom; 07-19-2005 at 10:16 AM.

Old 07-22-2005, 06:45 PM   #10
(female)

Pig Lover HB User

Discoloration from polish is one thing. It's only on the top of the nail, and it's harmless. However, a fungus and/or candida causing the nail to lift off the nail bed. The fungus eats away underneath the nail, and travels upwards toward the cuticle. A good doctor can tell you whether or not it's an internal problem or a bacteria that entered your skin thru a small cut. Walking on the beach or walking barefoot anywhere can give you thousands of microscopic organisms access to your body thru your toes. Most times, the thickening of the nail is lack of circulation in that particular area and/or general lack of nutrition.

Old 07-22-2005, 07:01 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Pig Lover,
How can I increase circulation in my feet and toes?

Old 07-24-2005, 05:48 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

sunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB Usersunshine12 HB User

I had an ingrown toe nail and had it removed eventually. But i was told to use tea tree oil and vicks. The tea tree oil is good for fungus and the vicks helped stop the pain.
Also if you have cuts on your hands like working in the yeard or something, I used vicks on the cuts and the next day the cuts were not red or sore.
Great stuff!
Sunshine

Old 07-24-2005, 08:59 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

Lotus_Blossom HB User

Sunshine,
Your posting made me ask this question I hope no one finds it silly.If I were to have my toenails removed because of the way they look would they grow back?An Uncle's wife had 1 or a few removed due to Fungus but I never asked if they grew back.I don't mind applying Tea Tree Oil and Vicks it will be a slow process but if they were surgically removed wouldn't they grow back healthier if they grow back?!And thanks for the tips Sunshine I never thought Vicks would ease pain and help with cuts.

Old 07-25-2005, 07:32 AM   #14
(female)

Pig Lover HB User

Lotus, I'm not sure if you could increase circulation in your feet enough to prevent toenail thickening. I'm not a doctor. I would guess that any kind of exercise on a regular basis would help circulate blood everywhere, and be good for your entire body. I don't know if a doctor would remove your toenails upon request. They are there to protect the nail bed which has a lot of blood vessels underneath it. Removing the nails would leave you very susceptible to all kinds of bacteria. If your nails are lifted off the nailbed, I would cut them as far back as possible to prevent water from getting stuck under it thus allowing airflow, then apply the tea tree oil and vicks to the entire area. Take care!

Closed Thread