It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 02:25 AM   #1
(male)

prague HB User
I really believe in herbal effects, I just don't know enough.

I am extremely interested in herbal medicine and I just need help on where to go and what to take. I am going to list things here I don't know if specific herbs do the right things or w/e or if I need to take like 20 different things but anyways here is my list.

- I am always tired and find that I cannot stay away during the day but I cannot sleep during the night. If I do fall asleep during the day/night it is only for and hour and then I feel awake and then a few hours later I crash again.

- My concentration isn't where I want it to be. I found this in college, I study twice as hard as my friends did and they did just as good as me. I know the material better but I just can't 'access' it and crucial times. My memory is hazy sometimes and I feel I cannot concentrate and that I am not memorizing the things as easy as I could be. I read a book about medical enchancements and it said aderol boosted memory but I want to take herbs for this.

- I am unsatisfied with my "structure." I work out, I eat and all that stuff but it seems that I don't gain weight, I don't gain muscle and I certainly don't increase in strength very much. I have even tried that creatine stuff but it's just water weight. I want something that actually affects my growth. Isn't testosterone related to that? If so, what gives that a boost (hopefully steroids isn't the only answer [if it is an answer at all] because I am not going to go that route.

I guess thats it for now I had more but I am a bit unfocused.

Last edited by prague; 07-13-2005 at 02:25 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-13-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
(male)

greensky HB User
Re: I really believe in herbal effects, I just don't know enough.

First off, if you haven’t already, I think you should see a doctor, and get some standard tests done. They can tell a lot and rule out some things like diabetes etc.

Depending on the results we can then maybe give you some better advices if you have a more precise diagnose.

If you already have seen a doctor and they couldn’t find anything, I would suggest you try and improve your sleeping as the first thing. For this I would recommend you try Melatonin, Ornithine and a Calcium magnesium supplement.

Melatonin: from 3 to 10 mg. ½ hour before bed.

Ornithine: Start with 4 grams before bedtime, and if it helps try lowering the dose until it stops helping and then you know how much you need.

Calcium magnesium supplement: Use preferably a type you dissolve in hot water, and drink before bed. Helps you relax.

There are also some herbs you can try, but I use the above and haven’t tried any of the herbs. I’m sure somebody else could comment on them.

Next maybe you could look at your diet. How about smoking and alcohol? You are young and go to parties? Alcohol can be very disturbing for sleeping regularly. And if you do drink maybe you should stop all together, until your sleeping has improved.

Old 07-16-2005, 08:27 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jess75 HB UserJess75 HB User

Try fish oil, b vitamins, maybe ginko, and choline is good for memory!

Old 07-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
(male)

prague HB User

this choline, what doses would you recommend and what other herbs/vitamins go well with it?

Old 07-19-2005, 11:06 AM   #5
(female)

LindaBee HB User

Prague, how active are you? I find that running or biking in the morning helps keep my mind and body alert/awake, and the getting that exercise helps me sleep at night.

Some aromatherapy could help, too. Lavender drops on your pillow at bedtime (or in a lamp ring or candle) will help you relax. Essential oil from citrus, especially grapefruit, has been shown to heighten alertness and concentration and reduce errors on the job or at school. Yoga and meditation helps for focus as well.

For the past 4 years I've almost exclusively used aromatherapy to cure what ails me, including cold symptoms, headaches, sleeplessness, and body aches. My health care bible is Worwood's "The Complete Book of Essential Oils and Aromatherapy".

Old 07-24-2005, 05:59 AM   #6
(female)

PerfectDay HB User

Tried any herbal teas???

Insomnia:chamomile
Concentration:Peppermint

Both really work well I use them often myself, if the chamomile is not strong enough to help you sleep I'd recommend burning some lavender or chamomile essential oil in an oil burner.
If you're looking to add more weight in muscle, try increasing your protein intake. Protein is used by the body for creating as well as repairing tissue, if you are lacking this then you'll find it hard to put on any weight. Ever noticed how vegetarians are usually very slim? Less protein in their diet. However it could just be the fact that you have a small build...some people do and there isn't all that much you can do if that's the problem. Hope that helps a bit

Last edited by PerfectDay; 07-24-2005 at 06:00 AM. Reason: typing error

Old 07-25-2005, 07:30 PM   #7
(male)

prague HB User

I havent been able to try anything yet, I had a tonsillectomy and I am just finishing up recovery.

Peppermint? Like the mint that makes your mouth taste better? That increases concentration? Could you suggest a brand and dosage?

Closed Thread