It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-13-2005, 09:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Question about echinacea and autoimmune diseade

Can anyone explain why you should not take echinacea if you have an autoimmune disease? I know that it is almost a miracle herb in that it is the best to build up your immune system.

I think that when you have an autoimmune disease, you immune system works overtime fighting against your own body. Does this mean that your immune system is already built up or is it weak when you have autoimmune disease? I think I may be confused. Can someone please explain?

Old 07-15-2005, 07:20 AM   #2
(female)

Rxrage HB User
Re: Question about echinacea and autoimmune diseade

I'm not an expert, but I think that when you have an autoimmune disease, for some reason, your body mistakenly attacks itself. In MS, for example, your immune system attacks the protective substance in nerve fibres. In psoriasis, the skin cells replace themselves much faster than normal. Any herb which stimulates the immune system to promote healing (in those who do not have an autoimmune disorder) must be avoided. Echinacea is often mentioned as a herb that stimulates the immune system. Herbs work with the natural processes of the body, whereas drugs suppress the symptoms.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User
Re: Question about echinacea and autoimmune diseade

Rxrage...You said "Any herb which stimulates the immune system to promote healing (in those who do NOT have an autoimmune disorder) must be avoided. Did you mean to put the "NOT" in that statement? In other words if I have an autoimmune disease (hashimoto's thyroiditis") then I should not take echinacea? Right?

Thank you for your help. I am not trying to correct you, but just trying to understand.

I was wondering this.......If you have an autoimmune disease, there must be something wrong with your immune system. It seems the echinacea would naturally make it more healthy. I make be all wrong.

Closed Thread