It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-26-2005, 01:55 PM   #1
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User
Echinacea

I just started taking this herb. Any success stories?
-Mags

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 07:43 AM   #2
(female)

kittyfairie HB User
Re: Echinacea

I take it when ever I feel a cold coming on and it works wonders. The liquid extract has always been the most effective for me but at the moment I just take capsules. I also take it if i'm feeling particuarly run down. What are your reasons for taking it and how often?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

On Fox News last night echinacea made the headlines. That said the results of a study showed those taking it got just as many colds as those taking the placebo.

I didn't want to believe that because I am a believer in natural supplements and herbs.
Someone told me that it makes a difference if you take it derived from the root or the plant itself. I would like to know the truth.

Old 07-28-2005, 09:57 PM   #4
(male)

rmkmsie HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHMILY
On Fox News last night echinacea made the headlines. That said the results of a study showed those taking it got just as many colds as those taking the placebo.

I didn't want to believe that because I am a believer in natural supplements and herbs.
Someone told me that it makes a difference if you take it derived from the root or the plant itself. I would like to know the truth.
Such studies go back and forth quite often, even JAMA acknowledges this issue:

http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/abstract/294/2/218

I'm sure you've also heard about studies claiming coffee is good for you...then all of a sudden new research shows it's bad...then good again. Same for chocolate and a lot of other substances. In addition, from what I heard on the news it sounded like the study focused on whether or not the proportion of people that got sick differed from placebo, they didn't look at whether or not echinecea reduced the length of the cold which to me also seems important and doesn't seem like it would add greatly to the cost of the study but then again I could be wrong. In addition, the dosage or the delivery mechanism (tincture, capsule, tea, etc) wasn't stated, and it sounds like critics felt the dosage was too small to see the effect.

Old 07-29-2005, 05:52 AM   #5
(female)

Magnolia29 HB User

My friend told me about Echinacea, and I was very intrigues by it. I take 2-3 400 mg capsules a day.

Old 07-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User

I have always had some success with echinacea. When my kids were little , I would give them a dose if they started getting the sniffles and it worked great with them. I take a supplement called Esberitox that has echinacea in it and also vitamin C and something else I can't remember. They are chewable and you take 3 at a time, sometimes every 15 minutes if you're feeling really bad. It works better for me than echinacea alone. As far as the studies show, I feel everyone responds differently to herbs, so I don't really pay attention to them. If it works for me, thats all the evidence I need.

Closed Thread