It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-03-2005, 10:07 PM   #1
(female)

Siddartha HB User
Question alternative meds for healthier skin..?

i try my best to eat better for my skin-- no dairy, tons of water, veggies and fruits... etc...and although my skin is glowing... it has some whiteheads, blackheads and the occasional pimple outbreak. i was wondering if there are any alternative medicines>vitamines, supplements and what not... that could help? if you know of any solutions/suggestions, please please share!

Last edited by Siddartha; 08-03-2005 at 10:09 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-03-2005, 11:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: alternative meds for healthier skin..?

Honestly, I think the best thing for you would be to get a scrub and exfoliate your skin 2-3 times a week. It sounds like you are feeding your skin well, and you just need to help your skin shed old skin cells that are clogging your pores.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #3
(female)

Siddartha HB User

thanks for replying! unfortunately... scrubs are way too hard on my skin (the microbeads).. they cause me to break out!! so i just use a wash cloth... i was hoping there might be other alternatives like cleansing the system... or certian vitamins... ?

Old 08-05-2005, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siddartha
thanks for replying! unfortunately... scrubs are way too hard on my skin (the microbeads).. they cause me to break out!! so i just use a wash cloth... i was hoping there might be other alternatives like cleansing the system... or certian vitamins... ?
One thing to think about is to make sure you change the washclothes often, because they can harbor bacteria that can cause breakouts. Another idea is to make a scrub out of brown sugar and some liquid facial cleanser.

Evening primrose oil (taken internally) can help breakouts, but only if you feel your breakouts are hormone related. If they are just occasional, it won't help you.

Old 08-11-2005, 08:35 AM   #5
Veteran

stasia12 HB User

u should check the acne board
the following supplements are or have been used by people with acne with varying sucesss degreees:
vitamin b5-this is a huge one right now, but doses have to be very high for awhile like up to 10 g.
vitamin a, or beta carotene, zinc, vitamin e, vitamin c. omega threes seem to be helpful for those whose skin is more dry or oily from dryness. there are others as well but those are the basics.
i dont know much about herbs for acne except those used for detoxing your liver, which can help your skin-such as dandelion burdock red clover milk thistle etc.
also if you want to exfoliate without using a scrub, consider trying retin a, or if you dont want to see a doctor, beta or alpha hydroxy products (try paula's choice , not pricey and much better than drugstore alphas and betas) though keep in mind those kind of exfoliants need to be used evrey day or every other day before you see results, can take awhile. beta hydoxy is salicylic acid by the way, and alpha is glycolic. if you have really large pores and very oily skin, beta is the best way to go,paulas choice has several options avaible, lotions and just solution for those with very oily skin, you can google it-shes only available online or thru catalog though.

Old 08-18-2005, 02:13 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

MSM is very good for your skin.............also you hair and nails. I get it in powder form where 1 scoop = 4,000 mg. I take 2 scoops daily. Be sure you get the pure MSM. I take it for tendonitis. Good skin is just another added benefit.The taste is not so good but you can mix it in a small amount of juice or soda. So much easier than swallowing the equililant in capsules. But don't take it in the late afternoon or night as it might keep you awake. It gives you energy. I haven't noticed the energy part but it will keep you awake if taken too late.

Also, I found a wonderful new product at Merle Norman Cosmetics called Micro-Refiner.....an at home alternative to microdermabrasion. I could never use anything abrasive, but this I love!!! You take a small amount and massage gently in a circular motion (where there is any roughness or dead skin) for about 1 minute. Then rinse. It makes your skin feel like baby's skin. Then moisturize.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:31 PM   #7
Veteran

stasia12 HB User

also fresh aloe vera is good, for red and inflamed skin or pimples, and some people have reported good benefits from drinking green tea or water with fresh squeezed lemon alot (lemon detoxes your body) i think i forgot to highlight zinc in my last post, thats a very good supplement to take for acne.helps the skin heal alot faster. also there are some skin benefits from taking things like acidolphilus if some of your acne is because you arent goiing to the bathroom or digesting prooperly//,
for women ,and hormonal outbreaks it is good to take a folic acid , b6 supplement, and like someone else mentioned, evening primose oil.

Old 08-22-2005, 01:10 AM   #8

ysone HB User

Now (brand) has a product called Derma-Vits that is great for skin, hair and nails. I Have seen improvement since I started taking them. Good Luck, Y

Old 08-24-2005, 06:05 PM   #9
(female)

goldenseal HB User

hey.. this is actually siddartha... for some reason my other account wasn't letting me log in. I really appreciate all the feedback! YSone, do you know if I could take the derma-vits while taking a multivitamin?

Old 08-27-2005, 01:22 PM   #10

ysone HB User

Hi Siddartha aka Goldenseal,
It would be fine. The derma-vits are mostly B vitamins that you just pee out if you have too much of them (Water soluable). Vitamins A, D, E, & K are the fat soluable ones that are stored in the body and could cause problems if you had too many of them, but it would have to be much more than just a couple of vitamin tablets/capsules! Best of luck, Y

Closed Thread