It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Alternative Medicine Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2005, 08:15 AM   #1
(male)

mikeb HB User
Grey Hair

Looking for help with my wife's greying hair. She started greying in her early teens. If she didn't color, she'd be 100% grey, at 40. Has anyone had any luck battling the grey? Are there any supp's, homeopathics, herbs, etc. that can help? What are the causes of premature greying? Most people just color, I'm more interested in trying to understand how the greying process (or hair health) works rather than what hair coloring products are best.
Thanks

Old 08-04-2005, 09:16 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User
Re: Grey Hair

I think graying hair is mainly genetic. I saw my first gray hair at age 25, and now at age 30, I pluck weekly. It's probably only about 5% gray, but my hair is dark so the contrast is very noticable. If I get any more, I'm going to start coloring. I got this hair from my dad, who I don't even have memories of without at least gray sideburns. How I wish I got my mom's hair. She is 58, and is just now getting a few grays. My grandfather died at 68 without a gray hair on his head.

Anyway, I don't think diet or anything can change it. Even if you gray young, I think it is genetic. In some rare cases, there can be an underlying disease that ages you early, but I think your wife would have found out about it long before now, if that were the case.

The other thing to remember is our idea of premature graying has changed with the increase in life expectancy. When people expected to live only to about 50 years old, being gray at 40 wasn't "premature."

Last edited by sneezydiva; 08-04-2005 at 09:17 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Concerned Male HB User

I know you said that you weren't very interested in hearing about different hair colors. But I just wanted to say that there are some makers of natural hair coloring products.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

SHMILY HB UserSHMILY HB User

If your body is low in Folic Acid or Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) ....that can cause your hair to turn gray. And if that IS the reason you are graying, when these are replaced, your hair will go back to natural color.

If I were you I would take a good multi vitamin and a stress formular B Complex and maybe add folic acid so that you are taking the "max" for these 2 supplements.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:14 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

notpain HB User

If it isn't going grey due to a medical condition they who cares? We all age. Accepting ourselves as we are is an important part of being healthy. When I read your post it seems that you are more interested in how you feel about your wifes grey hair, than how she does. I have plenty of grey hair, and it doesn't make me feel any different than when I didn't. Get over it. Sounds kind of harsh, but aside from a medical condition it doesn't matter. If you only love your wife because of the way she looks then that is sad. I know this is harsh but if it's not a health concern it doesn't matter. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to in the name of vanity. I will never figure out why women pluck their eyebrows then paint them back on. Good luck with the grey hair research.

Old 08-05-2005, 02:57 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

sneezydiva HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHMILY
If your body is low in Folic Acid or Vitamin B5 (pantothenic acid) ....that can cause your hair to turn gray. And if that IS the reason you are graying, when these are replaced, your hair will go back to natural color.

If I were you I would take a good multi vitamin and a stress formular B Complex and maybe add folic acid so that you are taking the "max" for these 2 supplements.

Interesting. I have read many sources that say that people with allergies need extra B5, and I have severe allergies! I might just try a supplement and see if it helps my allergies, and if it helps my hair, then all the better!

Old 08-06-2005, 09:31 PM   #7
(male)

mikeb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by notpain
If it isn't going grey due to a medical condition they who cares? We all age. Accepting ourselves as we are is an important part of being healthy. When I read your post it seems that you are more interested in how you feel about your wifes grey hair, than how she does. I have plenty of grey hair, and it doesn't make me feel any different than when I didn't. Get over it. Sounds kind of harsh, but aside from a medical condition it doesn't matter. If you only love your wife because of the way she looks then that is sad. I know this is harsh but if it's not a health concern it doesn't matter. It never ceases to amaze me the lengths people will go to in the name of vanity. I will never figure out why women pluck their eyebrows then paint them back on. Good luck with the grey hair research.
She asked me to look for info. This (grey) has always bugged her, so I thought I'd ask on this board. In the past we've had real good luck with help from this board, this is the first rude response we've ever received on this board. I suggest that if you don't have anything positive to say that you mind your own business.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

curiousP HB User

Yeh, I agree with Mike. How do you know that only those that are seeking help for themselves are seeking this board? Not everyone knows about the board and if they know someone that doesn't find it a hassle to look, they might ask them...did you ever think of that. Mike I commend you on researching for your wife, my boyfriend does the same for me with my acne.

Closed Thread