I've read about how using a microwave to heat food can change the nature of the food, and cause the food to be less nutritious, among other things. I was wondering what people's opinions are concerning microwaves? Do you still use them, or do you heat most of your food with the stove/oven?
Since I noticed a link between my dental amalgams and my health, I stay away from any possibility of getting exposed to toxins. These are unknown health hazards. The establishment often can say things are safe, and later change their minds. So why take the chance?
If there is any chance that anything is poisonous or bad, even in the slightest, I stay away from them. So, I never use the microwave anymore. I'll never get a root canal, never cook with aluminum pots, never consume artificial sweetners, and never drink sodas etc.
I use it to defrost some stuff, like bread (on a plate) (once every few weeks), and occasionally for a microwave dinner (less than once a month).
Not a conscious decision, just don't need it that much...
I refuse to be as fanatic as avoiding everything potentially dangerous, you might as well stop eating alltogether.
Last edited by starsofglass; 01-17-2006 at 06:07 AM.
I also had concerns and for many years would not buy one. What I determined, through my research, is that they are fine for heating up food but present more problems in actually cooking something. I wouldn't think of cooking anything in a microwave anyway but I find it handy for reheats. I don't know if it's possible in this day and age to avoid everything that is potentially harmful. I think my health more at risk being exposed to people and their various illnesses, especially when poor hygiene abounds, such as lack of concern for others when coughing, indifference about hand washing, etc.
He cooked foods in convential oven, microwave oven, froze and defrosted some vegetables in microwave. Foods were fed to people in different groups.
The blood of each person was taken before each meal; 15 min. later and 2 hrs later. The people who ate microwaved food showed a marked decrease in hemoglobin levels, increases in bad cholesterol levels, increases in pre-cancerous cells. The reheated microwaved breast milk had nearly all its antibacterial substance destroyed. Veggies defrosted in the microwave lost 97% of their antioxidants. (Regular stovetop cooking only removed 11% of antioxidants in same veggies.)
His study showed these damaging results occur in defrost, reheat, or cook modes of microwaving. Temperature did not matter.
I wonder at the date of the study- over 13 years ago. Perhaps more recent studies have been done that would take into account the better techniques at making microwaves these days? I don't know. Just asking.
I think that there may be better seals on the doors (in fact, I know there are -- old microwave ovens, from the '80s, used to leak a lot). Also today's microwaves may be more efficient (ie, better seals + a reduced mocrowave radiation strength?).
People with pacemakers must be careful around them, and don't press your face up against the glass. And be sure the door seal is tight.
Indeed, I'm also trying to justify my occasional use of a microwave oven ...
keep the faith ...
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.